**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

Off the top of my head.... :-)

How to direct install Sierra from App Store.

First you might need to install the patched Clover to work with CPU = Penryn?

1. This step might not be necessary. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. You might not need any kext except HDMIAudio.kext?

2. Download Install macOS Sierra Application from the Mac App Store. When complete the app will be open.

3. Choose system drive for install (Example: Macintosh HD). When complete, the VM will automatically reboot. But you will do a shutdown.

4: Edit XML and change CPU to Penryn.

5: start the VM

6. When Clover boot screen appears, with arrow key go to Boot macOS Install option.  Press spacebar to enter Boot Options and choose Without Caches option and/or Inject Kexts option then Boot Mac OS X with selected options.

7. Complete the installation process. When complete, the VM will automatically reboot.

8. When Clover boot screen appears, choose Boot Mac OS X option (Example: Boot Mac OS X from Macintosh HD). The computer will then complete the update.

Please try and see if this is a good way.

//Peter

Yes Peter thats exactly right and works well.

I tried un upgrade last week and this was the only way it would work. I tried booting from seabios to do an upgrade but that way didnt work.

It never saw the macOS Install in seabios boot menu on reboot.

Guys be sure to pay attention to step 6 in Peters post above, as it is easy to miss this and clover automatically boot into the osx drive itself (5 second countdown) and be back in el capitan. This happened to me and i thought it had failed! If this happens you can just reboot the vm and then choose macOS Install second time around. Also as Peter says its best to install patched clover first as is based off latest clover. Some earlier clovers (not sure from which version) will not see the macOS Install in clover boot menu.

Stumbled across an issue here...

I converted my seabios to ovmf as per the video, my osx boots fine so no issues there...

Odd thing is, the Ethernet shows as disconnected in OSX. I checked my xml and e1000-82545em is present and configured correctly.

Went back to my seabios install and there is no issue with the network, so something has not converted correctly or ovmf is causing issues with the network driver/extension.

Any ideas?

Also, can Sierra be installed on SEABIOS? I tried it earlier, changed cpu type to Penryn but cannot boot.

Stumbled across an issue here...

I converted my seabios to ovmf as per the video, my osx boots fine so no issues there...

Odd thing is, the Ethernet shows as disconnected in OSX. I checked my xml and e1000-82545em is present and configured correctly.

Went back to my seabios install and there is no issue with the network, so something has not converted correctly or ovmf is causing issues with the network driver/extension.

Any ideas?

Also, can Sierra be installed on SEABIOS? I tried it earlier, changed cpu type to Penryn but cannot boot.

Yes i have known this to happen to me before. The fix is really easy. It is not to do with seabios or clover.

What causes it is sometimes the e1000 network driver built into OSX (AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext) fails to detect network link. This is basically because of what pci slot the “card” is in.

The problem is invoking the e1000 hardware interrupt handler before setup is complete and then it fails to detect network. So the network must be on a custom pci slot and it gets around this problem.

I guess that your xml code for the network looks a bit like this now

<interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:51:66:48'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

note this line  address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x01' function='0x0'

This is wrong for us.

The system will try and put it on here as the default settings. Matbe you deleted the address line and it put this in for you?

We need it to be <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>

So just change your address line and all will be good. so like below

<interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:51:66:48'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
     <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

As regards sierra on seabios. Yes and no. I found i couldnt see the install iso on clean install and couldnt see "Boot macOS Install" option if going upgrade with seabios.

However after its installed by clover ovmf you can switch to seabios and it will boot

I was messing with it today and not really tested it but first impressions it seems very good. speed is normal speed. Sound is good  (i am using no soundcard h or gpu, using remote desktop with splashtop) I will test more later.

I was using enoch2839 for bootloader.

Just tried my nvidia 750 that worked with el capitan and unfortunately Sierra is not liking it in passthrough.

This is in OVMF, not sure about SEABIOS as I haven't been able to get Sierra installed with that.

Try changing the smbios to the iMac14,1 or iMac14,2 definition.

In your earlier post you say you are using hostdev to passthrough. You could try by qemu:arg value instead as peter_sm did. Check his code on here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51915.msg501064#msg501064 he is also using an nvidea card.

Just tried my nvidia 750 that worked with el capitan and unfortunately Sierra is not liking it in passthrough.

This is in OVMF, not sure about SEABIOS as I haven't been able to get Sierra installed with that.

In your earlier post you say you are using hostdev to passthrough. You could try by qemu:arg value instead as peter_sm did. Check his code on here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51915.msg501064#msg501064 he is also using an nvidea card.

I am not sure how to do either of these steps.

This is my hostdev for my gpu, can you please tell me how the qemu command line should look in the xml and also how/where to change smbios?

<address domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>

</source>

<alias name='hostdev0'/>

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>

</hostdev>

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>

<driver name='vfio'/>

<source>

<address domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>

</source>

<alias name='hostdev1'/>

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>

</hostdev>

I am not sure how to do either of these steps.

This is my hostdev for my gpu, can you please tell me how the qemu command line should look in the xml and also how/where to change smbios?

<address domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>

</source>

<alias name='hostdev0'/>

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>

</hostdev>

<driver name='vfio'/>

<source>

<address domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>

</source>

<alias name='hostdev1'/>

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>

</hostdev>

looking quickly at this i think you should add

<qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='ioh3420,bus=pcie.0,addr=1c.0,multifunction=on,port=2,chassis=1,id=root.1'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=04:00.0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on'/>
    <qemu:arg value='vfio-pci,host=04:00.1,bus=pcie.0'/>

beneath the line

<qemu:commandline>    in your xml

then delete the host dev part in the xml.

Also if you have copied and pasted host dev from another vm remove the second translated address part (address type='pci' domain) and the vm manager will put that in for you when you click update. So like below try your host dev again like this.

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes' xvga='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x04’ slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>

</hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x04’ slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>

</hostdev>

note you didnt seem to have this part in your post

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes' xvga='yes'>
  <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>

(so just note when you past mine in, that bit isnt there.. Also if you delete the host dev to use other way delete that bit too. not just the part in your post.... does that make sense?)

As for the changing of the smbios you do that once booted osx using the clover configurator, you must open the efi partition with the mount tool then get clover config to open the config.plist on the efi partition in the clover folder. From there you can change clover settings

How well does it work over remote desktop (VNC I guess)? Is it usable for say...video editing?

vnc is so poor for the keyboard and mouse it wouldnt be usable. I passthough a gpu myself so have not tried editing remotely.

But splashtop desktop ( http://www.splashtop.com/ ) is very good the graphics is much better and mouse control (and you get sound even without sound card passed through!). In fact i guess you could passthrough a keyboard and mouse and use splashtop/vnc for the screen maybe worth a try?

So I have changed my OSX VM to Clover and OVMF (Thank you so much gridrunner for the vids and associated files) and upgraded to 10.12 (again thank you gridrunner and peter_sm). There are couple things I still havent been able to acomplish and I wonder if someone can give me a little more info on how to do so. The first is how to install HDMIAudio.kext. I have moved it to S/L/E and run the commands via an article I found ("sudo chmod -R 755 HDMIAudio.kext" "sudo chown -R root:wheel HDMIAudio.kext") but it did not work. Second is how to use Clover to change how your system appears in about this mac. Right now it shows as a late 2009 iMac with 4 x 2.2GHz Intel Core Solo... Thanks in advance for any help.

So I figured out the HDMI audio. I found another article that listed another command to rebuild the kext cache and voila. Still trying to figure out the clover configurator to change the machine type and processor. What configs are compatible with the vm?  Thanks

Thanks peter_sm... I used the pre-configured iMac 14.2 smbios and all seems to be working well (after reinstalling the kext for HDMI audio) however my processor still shows as 4x Intel Core Solo. I have seen screen shots from others that show other processors, how do I change this? Thanks again

Thanks peter_sm... I used the pre-configured iMac 14.2 smbios and all seems to be working well (after reinstalling the kext for HDMI audio) however my processor still shows as 4x Intel Core Solo. I have seen screen shots from others that show other processors, how do I change this? Thanks again

how do you get/set the pre-configured 14.2 smbios?

On the smbios tab there is a wand icon on the right hand side. Click it and you will see icons for different types of Macs. Click the iMac image and scroll down the list to 14,2 and select. Go to file and save, then quit clover, unmount your EFI partition with the tool and reboot your computer. If you have any kexts installed you may need to reinstall them.

Anyone download the smc_read.zip lately listed on gridrunners YouTube video 'How to read OSK KEY....) I have downloaded it multiple times and if it doesn't say it's a corrupted file it has all the text shown in the video without the OSK key. I'd appreciate it someone else would give it a try and see if they have the same problem, I have everything set to go except for the key, Thanks

Anyone download the smc_read.zip lately listed on gridrunners YouTube video 'How to read OSK KEY....) I have downloaded it multiple times and if it doesn't say it's a corrupted file it has all the text shown in the video without the OSK key. I'd appreciate it someone else would give it a try and see if they have the same problem, I have everything set to go except for the key, Thanks

Hi kuhnamatata i checked and downloaded okay for me.

But as you had probs I have added another link to the video as well so 2 there now :)  https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyakzgtn6h0hdd8/smc_read.zip?dl=0

By the way the osk key is just a phrase of words, seems almost a joke and you think "no it couldnt be that!"

If anyone knows of a good free place for me to put files to link to for tutorials I would appreciate it. At moment i use mega and dropbox. mega is slow and dropbox has limitations on bandwidth i think.

Download is working for me. I did however have an issue in creating the ISO image from the USB key. Not sure if this is a Sierra problem or not. In the end I have gone with a hybrid approach and created a blank file image using the instructions from danofun here:-

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=43816.420

but then used the EFI folder provided by grid runner on his video example. Although I am obviously doing something wrong as I never get to the installer. get the Apple logo, then a loa of text, a reboot and then a no entry sign.

Download is working for me. I did however have an issue in creating the ISO image from the USB key. Not sure if this is a Sierra problem or not. In the end I have gone with a hybrid approach and created a blank file image using the instructions from danofun here:-

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=43816.420

but then used the EFI folder provided by grid runner on his video example. Although I am obviously doing something wrong as I never get to the installer. get the Apple logo, then a loa of text, a reboot and then a no entry sign.

So you get to the clover boot screen. You see the Boot macOS Install option to start installing? Is your cpu type set for Penryn?

Also are you on 6.2

I get to clover yes and choose the install option. At some point during the Apple logo showing a bunch of text appears on the screen, I don't get a lot of chance to look at that before it reboots. Then there is a no entry sign.

Penryn is specified in the XML, is that what you mean?

<qemu:arg value='Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel'/>

update: added XML file to this post

sierra.txt

I get to clover yes and choose the install option. At some point during the Apple logo showing a bunch of text appears on the screen, I don't get a lot of chance to look at that before it reboots. Then there is a no entry sign.

Penryn is specified in the XML, is that what you mean?

update: added XML file to this post

looking at your xml in the atached text file there is no osk key.

Did you delete that to make this post. It will not work without the apple osk key

<qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=apple osk key'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
  </qemu:commandline>