Seagate NAS 8TB $249.99 on Amazon

WizADSL

What's the RPMs on this, is it 5900?

The specs for the Ironwolf drives don't make this clear EXCEPT for the 10TB version, which shows a 7200rpm speed; and the 4TB version, which shows a 5400rpm speed.

I suspect that for those that aren't specified it's reasonable to assume they're either 5400 or 5900 rpm -- I'd certainly think they'd make a note of it if these were 7200 rpm drives.

Indeed -- buried at nearly the end of the review it finally states:  "... The performance gain is largely due to the faster spindle (7,200RPM vs. 5,400RPM) of course, which carries with it some penalties around thermals and power consumption. Ultimately though, if performance is the key metric for a small NAS deployment, the Seagate NAS 8TB provides an excellent combination of performance, capacity and price point."

I'm surprised Seagate doesn't show this in their specifications -- they do for the 10TB version, but are silent about the smaller units.

There's a MFT of complaints about noise with these drives,  and not normal drive noises but hums. Heres a review with audio of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2V7JYAOVTZ587/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01BBKYNJG

Now I'm torn.

At the end of that thread, the Seagate support guy says they have a new firmware to test.

I'm really tempted because my server is in the basement in a separate storage / server room and the noise wouldn't bother me

There's a MFT of complaints about noise with these drives,  and not normal drive noises but hums. Heres a review with audio of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2V7JYAOVTZ587/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01BBKYNJG

Now I'm torn.

At the end of that thread, the Seagate support guy says they have a new firmware to test.

I'm really tempted because my server is in the basement in a separate storage / server room and the noise wouldn't bother me

Yes, they have newer firmware but it is not publicly available and some have been unable to convince horrible Seagate tech support to send it to them or to elevate their ticket to a more knowledgeable support tier.

It's been YEARS now, but I'm sure some folks still remember the horrible performance issues with the first round of Seagate 1.5TB units that had horrific failure rates until Seagate finally released upgraded firmware publicly so users could upgrade their drives and get rid of the problem.  The drives would freeze and lock up systems they were used in.  If you tracked the forums at the time, it started out the same way -- asking for direct contacts; private links for firmware updates but no public acknowledgement; etc. -- until finally there was enough publicity about the issue that they released a new firmware update publicly.

... you'd think they would have learned  :) :)

Firmware update: https://apps1.seagate.com/downloads/certificate.html?key=1200432356414

I'm swapping out my SMR archive 8tb parity in preparation for adding a second parity drive. I figure the extra RPM/cache should help with speed vs having two SMR drives as parity drives.

Mine arrives tomorrow,  it seems that some of them already ship with the new firmware, so I'll see what mine comes with!

Save yourselves, don't buy Seagates. Go for HGST.

Yup I agree

I never understood this.  We're buying drives in such small quantities, it's just random luck.  Outside of a few bad models that various companies have put out, drive failure rates are pretty similar. Buy what's cheap!

Oh man back in the 1.5 TB days Seagate was truly awful. Thousands upon thousands of drives were returned. The firmware updates took several version to stabilize and you had to do through a raw SATA interface via bootable floppy in DOS. I had guys pulling drives out of array for weeks to update. Up to and including 4 TB drives I only purchased WDC I would never let anyone buy a Seagate of any kind below 6 TB. The 4 TB WDC Reds are fantastic. I hated Seagate. However since that time the QA for Seagate has improved dramatically. in the 6 and 8 TB Enterprise/Red I only buy Seagate (6/8TB) now, I don't know about Blues/Greens in these sizes, the WDC might be better, I don't own any. WDC seems less reliable in 6/8 TB Red for me. The Backblaze report has lots of interesting stats. https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q3-2016/

Save yourselves, don't buy Seagates. Go for HGST.

Yup I agree

I never understood this.  We're buying drives in such small quantities, it's just random luck.  Outside of a few bad models that various companies have put out, drive failure rates are pretty similar. Buy what's cheap!

Are you being serious right now?

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q3-2016/

Although Seagate 8TB drives haven't suffered much failures (yet).

Note that the BackBlaze statistics are for the desktop DM series drives -- traditional PMR drives, but NOT the NAS units discussed in this thread.  So their statistics don't apply to these drives.  I DO think Seagate's NAS drives are very reliable, but you can't use the BackBlaze stats to back that up.

Mine came with firmware SC60. It wasn't making any objectionable noises, but I went ahead and updated it to SC61 just in case. Very easy with the Linux program included in the above link. Its currently preclearing.

*As an aside,  this is the first time I've used gfjardim's preclear plugin instead of the command line preclear. It's awesome!