unMENU 1.5 ... now available for download.

You did not do too bad.

I like how you concatenated the script and then wrote it in one line with "echo -e"

Only issues I see are

"curl" is not part of unRAID, "wget" is, perhaps you can adapt to use it with something like this:

wget -O - -q checkip.dyndns.org | cut -d' ' -f6 | cut -d'<' -f1

(It also returns the IP address, exactly like yours)

You'll need to change the "curl" line where you submit the new IP address, but it should be very similar to your existing line, just using "wget -O - -q ........"

Next, an unRAID specific issue... Once you change the root crontab you'll also need to copy it to a file used by the unRAID web-interface, otherwise, if you make any changes via it, your entry will be erased.   It does not do a crontab -l the next time it modifies cron, it uses the file it used the first time.

The line you need to add (before the line where you remove /tmp/crontab) is:

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION     cp /tmp/crontab /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root-

Note, the line ends with a trailing "-"

Clearly, you learn quickly...   The "package" file is very close to being ready for publishing.   Obviously, I specifically made it easy to add packages, to encourage others like yourself to create new packages.  

As far as "hdparm -C"  ... I'll modify the hourly status e-mail to use the trick we used in unmenu.awk.  You'll still see messages for a cache drive or drives outside of the array, but it will minimize the extra messages written to the syslog.    (but not this weekend, as I'm just about ready to go out for an evening of Ballroom Dancing with my wife.  Can't be a complete geek, need some social skills too.  ;D)

You'll need to show me a bit more about the apcupsd.conf fixes.   I'm very open to making it better.  Perhaps you can show me the specific lines involved.

Joe L.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you sure about curl, Joe?

Here I haven't install it, so it's included in 4.5.6, but since wget do the same, so I'll be changing it.

I'll do the suggested modifications, and post it again.

Pretty sure it is not included... on 4.5.6 or on 5.0-beta1.

root@Tower:/boot# curl

-bash: curl: command not found

root@Tower:/boot# which curl

which: no curl in (/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:./:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin)

Perhaps it was installed along with one of the packages you put into place.

Again, thanks for the feedback and the work on the new package.  I know it will be useful for many. 

Glad you were able to figure out the "package" format from the existing examples.

Joe L.

Apparently in the past year I've let my unmenu go un-upgraded and it is now deemed "Ancient"  :)

The "wheel wasn't broke, do I didn't try to fix it".  Now that I am both aware new versions exist and those versions will help clean up my syslog error as well as offer me new features ( and easier updating in the future ), I am going to complete the update.

I have backed my entire flash drive up (which I do periodically anyways).

The one item that I fought on, for some time, was getting my APC UPS working and to send me an email if the power went out or was restored.  Will this be something I need to start over from scratch again or can I copy something over or are the files just left un-affected for this feature?

Here's a screen shot of my packages folder, in case it helps any:

package_files.jpg

You will find it relatively easy to get the new version of apcupsd installed and configured.  It now has configurable fields for its setup.

The package-manager now includes an e-mail / ssmtp package.   You do not need to install it if you have an alternative you are using already.   It too has fields to configure it.   It is actually distributed in source-code form and one of the new packages is the compiler needed to compile it.  Again, it is just a matter of clicking on the button to install the "gcc" compiler, and then clicking on the button to install the ssmtp and mail programs.   (Had to do it that way, as no pre-compiled version is available that handles secure TLS mail transactions)  This is much more complete e-mail program (not a shell script) and it will be used by "cron" and "at" to send status messages.

What program/script are you currently using the send the mail?   If currently using unraid_notify.sh  and its affiliated mail program, it should work just fine.

I'd set up the apcupsd package, and go from there.    You'll want to edit the configurable variables (even if you do not change anything)  then save the values.  That will then enable a "Re-install with new values" button.  Press it and the new version will be in place.  The editable configuration fields will let you set the behavior as you would prefer.

Joe L.

ds store cleanup config??  If I install the ds store cleanup script do I need to change any of the configuration?  It looks like there are 6 options for the script but only 5 on the wiki or am I just confused and missing something?  I would like it to run every Sunday at 3am once a week.

The wiki shows this:

.---------------- minute (0 - 59) 
|   .------------- hour (0 - 23)
|   |   .---------- day of month (1 - 31)
|   |   |   .------- month (1 - 12) OR jan,feb,mar,apr ... 
|   |   |   |  .----- day of week (0 - 7) (Sunday=0 or 7)  OR sun,mon,tue,wed,thu,fri,sat 
|   |   |   |  |
*   *   *   *  *  command to be executed

So, you want

0 3 * * 0

as your schedule

That is 3 AM on every Sunday, on any day-of-month, in any month.

What 6 options are you referring to on the "script" since as distributed it has

40 3 * * *

That translates to 3:40 AM on any day, in any month, on any day of the week.

That is still only 5 fields.

Joe L.

What program/script are you currently using the send the mail?   If currently using unraid_notify.sh  and its affiliated mail program, it should work just fine.

I followed your advice many months ago with these instructions:

I've put my nc and mail.sh in a /boot/custom/bin folder.

You can create it by typing:

mkdir -p /boot/custom/bin

Then, you can execute these 4 commands.  They will create a file in your /boot/packages folder that will be invoked every time you re-start your server along with all the other packages you have elected to "Auto-Install on Re-Boot"

echo "cp /boot/custom/bin/mail.sh /usr/bin/mail" >>/boot/packages/mail.auto_install

echo "cp /boot/custom/bin/nc /usr/bin/nc" >>/boot/packages/mail.auto_install

echo "chmod 755 /usr/bin/nc /usr/bin/mail" >>/boot/packages/mail.auto_install

echo "echo '[email protected]' >/root/.forward" >>/boot/packages/mail.auto_install

The last of those 4 lines must be edited to hold your e-mail address you want the alerts sent to.  You will also need to edit the mail.sh file to include your mail service provider and any id/password it needs.  Be aware though, it will not work if your e-mail provider needs an encrypted session.  There is a different mail script that has been posted that will work for it.

Once you have run the 4 lines above, you can then run the script it created by typing

/boot/packages/mail.auto_install

Am I going to have to do some cleaning up, after the upgrade, as some of the packages this process created will be gone and yet still be called upon?

Just trying to figure out which is the easiest solution to complete the upgrade :)

If your e-mail is working now, you do not need to undo anything.  Leave those lines in your "go" script.

Just do not install the "mail and ssmtp" package (identified as "ssmtp-2.6x") as it will just install an alternative e-mail program.

Actually you can install it if you like, you'll just need to fill in the configure fields and remove those other lines from your go script.

Joe L.

My notifications use to work, however i did a quick test and it appears it isn't working ( which makes me wonder if the shutdown part is working either ).

Maybe a stupid question, but a few weeks ago I took the server with me for a weekend.  When I hooked it back up, I cannot be sure what USB port the UPS was plugged into.  Would that make a difference?

Status Report works (forgot about that)

APC      : 001,021,0584

DATE     : Thu Aug 12 21:31:17 EDT 2010

HOSTNAME : Tower

RELEASE  : 3.14.3

VERSION  : 3.14.3 (20 January 2008) slackware

UPSNAME  : Tower

CABLE    : Custom Cable Smart

MODEL    : Back-UPS ES 550

UPSMODE  : Stand Alone

STARTTIME: Sat Aug 07 09:09:36 EDT 2010

STATUS   : COMMLOST

MBATTCHG : 5 Percent

MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes

MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds

LASTXFER : Low line voltage

NUMXFERS : 2

XONBATT  : Thu Aug 12 21:30:37 EDT 2010

TONBATT  : 828 seconds

CUMONBATT: 875 seconds

XOFFBATT : Thu Aug 12 21:06:40 EDT 2010

STATFLAG : 0x07060110 Status Flag

END APC  : Thu Aug 12 21:44:25 EDT 2010

And as for the test message, the reply:

root@Tower:/boot/unmenu# echo "this is a test" | mail -s "Testing the mail" root

220 ironport02.pppoe.ca ESMTP

250-ironport02.pppoe.ca

250-8BITMIME

250-SIZE 104857600

250 STARTTLS

250 sender <[email protected]> ok

250 recipient <[email protected]> ok

354 go ahead

250 ok:  Message 72499298 accepted

221 ironport02.pppoe.ca

root@Tower:/boot/unmenu#

EDIT:  I did check the spam folder at gmail, just in case it landed there.

For some reason, there was a delay of multiple hours with the email.   I just got up and all the test I did came through about 3 or 4 hours after I did them.

Not sure if you recall, but my computer has an issue with keeping the time correct, so it is constantly adjusting the time ( here's an example from the syslog ):

Aug 13 06:45:14 Tower ntpd[1446]: time reset +1.679075 s

Aug 13 06:46:15 Tower ntpd[1446]: synchronized to 208.69.56.110, stratum 2

Aug 13 06:51:14 Tower ntpd[1446]: synchronized to 209.114.111.1, stratum 2

Aug 13 06:53:40 Tower ntpd[1446]: synchronized to 149.20.68.17, stratum 2

Aug 13 07:01:58 Tower ntpd[1446]: time reset +1.698346 s

Aug 13 07:02:18 Tower ntpd[1446]: synchronized to 208.69.56.110, stratum 2

Aug 13 07:06:28 Tower ntpd[1446]: synchronized to 149.20.68.17, stratum 2

Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

I shutdown the server and re-started it and got this, when running the UPS Status:

Error contacting host localhost port 3551: Connection refused

I shut it down again and changed USB ports and it does now come up with status as ONLINE

APC      : 001,036,0900

DATE     : Thu Aug 12 23:37:05 EDT 2010

HOSTNAME : Tower

RELEASE  : 3.14.3

VERSION  : 3.14.3 (20 January 2008) slackware

UPSNAME  : Tower

CABLE    : Custom Cable Smart

MODEL    : Back-UPS ES 550

UPSMODE  : Stand Alone

STARTTIME: Thu Aug 12 23:37:03 EDT 2010

STATUS   : ONLINE

LINEV    : 120.0 Volts

LOADPCT  :  28.0 Percent Load Capacity

BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent

TIMELEFT :  17.5 Minutes

MBATTCHG : 5 Percent

MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes

MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds

SENSE    : High

LOTRANS  : 092.0 Volts

HITRANS  : 139.0 Volts

ALARMDEL : Always

BATTV    : 13.5 Volts

LASTXFER : Low line voltage

NUMXFERS : 0

TONBATT  : 0 seconds

CUMONBATT: 0 seconds

XOFFBATT : N/A

STATFLAG : 0x07000008 Status Flag

MANDATE  : 2008-08-04

SERIALNO : 3B1802X07111  

BATTDATE : 2000-00-00

NOMINV   : 115 Volts

NOMBATTV :  12.0 Volts

FIRMWARE : 843.K1 .D USB FW:K1

APCMODEL : Back-UPS ES 550

END APC  : Thu Aug 12 23:38:02 EDT 2010

I tested out that test command you gave me, however I got the same result as before ( nothing came through email ).

I pulled the power from the wall and the UPS did at least execute the shutdown command when it hit 3 minutes remaining.

In the past, i got an email when power went out and when it was restored.    

I don't think I ever tested to see if after the UPS shutdown the server, as it would have hit the 3 minute minimum remaining time, if when power was restored to the UPS, should the server start up on its own.   I did try this test just now and the server remained off.

syslog-2010-08-13.txt

what is the trick to make uumenu automaticaly run the package again at reboot?

I have selected the ups package for automatic re run but it does not work.

thanks

(yes my unmenu restarts automaticaly at reboot)

When you select your very first unmenu package to be re-installed on re-boot it will add a line to the bottom of your config/go script.  That line will look like this:

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

Make sure it is on a line by itself and that you did not clobber it when you added your line to start unmenu.

Joe L.

I don't think I ever tested to see if after the UPS shutdown the server, as it would have hit the 3 minute minimum remaining time, if when power was restored to the UPS, should the server start up on its own.  I did try this test just now and the server remained off.

I had this problem too, and in my case the apc daemon doesn't create a necessary flag file, in /etc/apcupsd/powerfail. When the killpower command is invoked, the deamon verify the existence of this file as a safety measure, and if it doesn't exist the command is aborted. Solved this with this line:

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION [ "${vUPS_KILL-YES}" != "NO" ] && sed -i -e "s/  \/sbin\/poweroff/  echo \"1\">\/etc\/apcupsd\/powerfail; \/etc\/apcupsd\/apccontrol killpower;\/sbin\/poweroff/" /etc/rc.d/rc.6

The original one replaced was:

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION [ "${vUPS_KILL-YES}" != "NO" ] && sed -i -e "s/  \/sbin\/poweroff/\/etc\/apcupsd\/apccontrol killpower;\/sbin\/poweroff/" /etc/rc.d/rc.6

It enforces the rc.6 runtime script to create the flag file before invoking the killpower command.

I don't think I ever tested to see if after the UPS shutdown the server, as it would have hit the 3 minute minimum remaining time, if when power was restored to the UPS, should the server start up on its own.   I did try this test just now and the server remained off.

I had this problem too, and in my case the apc daemon doesn't create a necessary flag file, in /etc/apcupsd/powerfail. When the killpower command is invoked, the deamon verify the existence of this file as a safety measure, and if it doesn't exist the command is aborted. Solved this with this line:

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION [ "${vUPS_KILL-YES}" != "NO" ] && sed -i -e "s/  \/sbin\/poweroff/  echo \"1\">\/etc\/apcupsd\/powerfail; \/etc\/apcupsd\/apccontrol killpower;\/sbin\/poweroff/" /etc/rc.d/rc.6

The original one replaced was:

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION [ "${vUPS_KILL-YES}" != "NO" ] && sed -i -e "s/  \/sbin\/poweroff/\/etc\/apcupsd\/apccontrol killpower;\/sbin\/poweroff/" /etc/rc.d/rc.6

It enforces the rc.6 runtime script to create the flag file before invoking the killpower command.

I'll verify your results and add your improved line...  (It really cannot hurt anything as we are powering down and it will be gone shortly anyways)

Many thanks, from myself and everybody else who uses this package.

I can't say I've ever noticed it.  My server does re-start itself, and my UPS does shut itself down.

Which version of apcupsd are you using?

Joe L.

I'm think I am using 3.14.3, as when I check the package manager is shows "Currently Installed. Will be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot."  , however the 3.14.8 also gives a message that it is "Installed, Not Downloaded"

I'm using the UnMenu script editor and I have two similar files listed:

/boot/packages/apcupsd-unmenu-package.conf

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION [ "${vUPS_KILL-YES}" != "NO" ] && sed -i -e "s/\/sbin\/poweroff/\/etc\/apcupsd\/apccontrol killpower; \/sbin\/poweroff/" /etc/rc.d/rc.6

/boot/packages/apcupsd3-unmenu-package.conf

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION [ "${vUPS_KILL-YES}" != "NO" ] && sed -i -e "s/\/sbin\/poweroff/\/etc\/apcupsd\/apccontrol killpower; \/sbin\/poweroff/" /etc/rc.d/rc.6

I am assuming one of these is the files I need to edit, however how do I know which one .....or does it matter... just edit both with:

I'm think I am using 3.14.3, as when I check the package manager is shows "Currently Installed. Will be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot."  , however the 3.14.8 also gives a message that it is "Installed, Not Downloaded"

I'm using the UnMenu script editor and I have two similar files listed:

/boot/packages/apcupsd-unmenu-package.conf

/boot/packages/apcupsd3-unmenu-package.conf

I am assuming one of these is the files I need to edit, however how do I know which one .....or does it matter... just edit both with:

Also add a line

#AUTO_UPDATE = NO

somewhere in the file you edit.  That way it will not be swapped out when you run the update script to check for unMENU updates.

When you select your very first unmenu package to be re-installed on re-boot it will add a line to the bottom of your config/go script.  That line will look like this:

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

Make sure it is on a line by itself and that you did not clobber it when you added your line to start unmenu.

Joe L.

Thanks - i never saw that in my go file.  I have added it.

Based upon the fact that it should be "at the bottom" I assume it should come after the invocation of unmenu?

I use cd /boot/unmenu ./uu

thanks