unMENU 1.5 ... now available for download.

When you select your very first unmenu package to be re-installed on re-boot it will add a line to the bottom of your config/go script.  That line will look like this:

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

Make sure it is on a line by itself and that you did not clobber it when you added your line to start unmenu.

Joe L.

Thanks - i never saw that in my go file.  I have added it.

Based upon the fact that it should be "at the bottom" I assume it should come after the invocation of unmenu?

I use cd /boot/unmenu ./uu

thanks

The only time it would not have been added is if you had put into place a /boot/custom/etc folder structure.

If you had such a directory hierarchy in place it would have looked for a

/boot/custom/etc/rc.d folder and added a startup task there. 

Do you have such a directory structure in place?

The line can go anywhere in the "go" script.  At the end is fine.  It has absolutely nothing to do with unMENU running or not.

The line to start unMENU needs a semicolon.

cd /boot/unmenu; ./uu

or

you can just do it like this giving the full path to the file:

/boot/unmenu/uu

Joe L.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Joe,

I have been having problems recently when I try to check for an update or download a package. I get a screen with some characters (at work now so cant remember but I think it looked like this

html

e

I know for a fact that the server is connected to the internet but still cant seem to solve the problem. Have you encountered this before?

Hey Joe,

I have been having problems recently when I try to check for an update or download a package. I get a screen with some characters (at work now so cant remember but I think it looked like this

html

e

I know for a fact that the server is connected to the internet but still cant seem to solve the problem. Have you encountered this before?

Typically, it indicates you do not have a network connection (or a DNS nameserver defined)

Can you type

ping -c 5  google.com

or

net lookup google.com

Joe, right as always, my Gateway had a typo.

Suggestion: Maybe spit out an "Internet not accessible" instead of the cryptic output if possible?

Thanks again!

I wish I could.  It is gawk that is exiting on a fatal error in the plug-in that is being invoked..  I have no way to catch it.

Since the user-script "buttons" are just shell scripts, you can add a line like this to the end of the config/go script:

echo "sh /boot/unmenu/30-unmenu_user_script_setra-2048" | at now + 1 minute

It will schedule the command to run one minute after you reboot the array.  That should give the array enough time to come online before you attempt to set the read-ahead.

Hi everybody,

1. Could it be possible to write a shell script for sending magic packets to a WIN computer on the local network in order to wake it up (WOL)?

2. Could the unMenu web page be secured by using a username and a password?

My intention is to make a WAN to LAN connection via port forwarding through my router so I can securely connect to unRaid server when I am away from home, log to the unMenu and run the above mentioned user script and wake another WIN server at my LAN.

I would appreciate very much if you could kindly help.

Hi everybody,

1. Could it be possible to write a shell script for sending magic packets to a WIN computer on the local network in order to wake it up (WOL)?

2. Could the unMenu web page be secured by using a username and a password?

My intention is to make a WAN to LAN connection via port forwarding through my router so I can securely connect to unRaid server when I am away from home, log to the unMenu and run the above mentioned user script and wake another WIN server at my LAN.

I would appreciate very much if you could kindly help.

Unmenu does not use a "real" web server; it is awk pretending to be a web server.  Therefor you are more than likely not going to get an sort of password protection out of it.  My suggestion is to set up VPN access, or remote desktop to a different machine on your network and use that to get to your unRAID box.  I VPN into my network and run everything that way.  Do a google search for DDWRT and see if your router can run it.

As for the WOL, i am not sure about that, will probably have to wait for a more experiences linux guy to comment on that one.

Unmenu does not use a "real" web server; it is awk pretending to be a web server.  Therefor you are more than likely not going to get an sort of password protection out of it.  My suggestion is to set up VPN access, or remote desktop to a different machine on your network and use that to get to your unRAID box.  I VPN into my network and run everything that way.  Do a google search for DDWRT and see if your router can run it.

As for the WOL, i am not sure about that, will probably have to wait for a more experiences linux guy to comment on that one.

@prostuff1 - This has really piqued my interest. My Linksys Wrt-54G currently has DDWRT on it, which is conected to my DSL modem. Would you mind doing a little writeup of how this can be achieved (in a different thread of course :)).

Can unMenu be accessed this way or only telnet/ssh?

@prostuff1 - This has really piqued my interest. My Linksys Wrt-54G currently has DDWRT on it, which is conected to my DSL modem. Would you mind doing a little writeup of how this can be achieved (in a different thread of course :)).

Can unMenu be accessed this way or only telnet/ssh?

I don't have the time right now to do a full writeup but i will outline some of what you need.

a vpn version of DDWRT

a static IP or a dynamic dns (i use dyndns.com)

get the vpn setup on the router with the settings needed, then set up the dynamic dns

Then VPN into your router from your computer

From there i can access anything on my network as if i was sitting in my lazyboy on my local network.  The only downside is that you are going to be limited by the speed of your connection, so the faster your home service the better.

Can someone give me a hand trying to configure unmenu / ssmtp for email notificationss...

I've got unmenu sorted, and the ssmtp part installed but i can't see to get a test email sent out. Each time i get 'cannot open smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465'

I know this server and port are ok as its what my outlook uses. I've tried to find the config files which stores the email config in just in case there are more option for SSL or something i'm issing but i don't really know what i'm doing. I've checked the ssmtp.conf file but it doesn't look to have my settings in but i'm not sure if that down to the mail command being used.

Am keen to learn just over my head a little at the moment lol.

Would this be the best thread to get help or am i better starting a new one some where?

Can someone give me a hand trying to configure unmenu / ssmtp for email notificationss...

I've got unmenu sorted, and the ssmtp part installed but i can't see to get a test email sent out. Each time i get 'cannot open smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465'

I know this server and port are ok as its what my outlook uses. I've tried to find the config files which stores the email config in just in case there are more option for SSL or something i'm issing but i don't really know what i'm doing. I've checked the ssmtp.conf file but it doesn't look to have my settings in but i'm not sure if that down to the mail command being used.

Am keen to learn just over my head a little at the moment lol.

Would this be the best thread to get help or am i better starting a new one some where?

Do you have a name-server defined in your unRAID Settings screen? 

Can you type

ping -c google.com

and have it connect to the outside world?

Do you have a gateway defined?  Do you have a firewall in place blocking the port?

The settings used are in

/usr/local/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf

through unMENU they are updated if you click the button labeled as "Re-Install with New Values" (something like that) after editing and saving a config value.

Joe L.

ping -c 5 google.com reports back without any issues, as does plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com (which is what i'm trying to use).

gateway is set as 192.168.0.1 in the unraid settings, internet access is fine downloads packages etc without any issues. No filewall between server and internet.

using this 'echo "this is a test" | mail -s "Test Email" root' as a test, with UseSTARTTLS=YES i get:

send-mail: Cannot open plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465

and with UseSTARTTLS=NO

root@unraid:~# send-mail: Invalid response SMTP server

ping -c 5 google.com reports back without any issues, as does plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com (which is what i'm trying to use).

gateway is set as 192.168.0.1 in the unraid settings, internet access is fine downloads packages etc without any issues. No filewall between server and internet.

using this 'echo "this is a test" | mail -s "Test Email" root' as a test, with UseSTARTTLS=YES i get:

send-mail: Cannot open plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465

and with UseSTARTTLS=NO

root@unraid:~# send-mail: Invalid response SMTP server

If you invoke ssmtp directly, like this, with the "-d" debugging option, perhaps it will give a clue as to what is happening:

echo -e "Subject: a test\n\nThis is the email body." | ssmtp -d root

Well i'ved tried the command above, thanks by the way gives much more info to go on. Here what i get:

[<-] 220 smtp105.prem.mail.sp1.yahoo.com ESMTP

[->] EHLO [email protected]

[<-] 250 8BITMIME

[->] AUTH LOGIN

[<-] 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6

[->] ZHluYW1pc19kaw==

[<-] 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6

[<-] 235 OK, go ahead

[->] MAIL FROM:<root@>

[<-] 553 From address not verified - see http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html

I've done a quick google and i'm not really getting anywhere with it. Not sure what i need to change to get things to work. Doesn't help that the link they give for help doesn't even work :( Not sure if i need to get the MAIL FROM:<root@> bit to read [email protected] so yahoo's servers see my email address as the one sending maybe??

Well i'ved tried the command above, thanks by the way gives much more info to go on. Here what i get:

[<-] 220 smtp105.prem.mail.sp1.yahoo.com ESMTP

[->] EHLO [email protected]

[<-] 250 8BITMIME

[->] AUTH LOGIN

[<-] 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6

[->] ZHluYW1pc19kaw==

[<-] 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6

[<-] 235 OK, go ahead

[->] MAIL FROM:<root@>

[<-] 553 From address not verified - see http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html

I've done a quick google and i'm not really getting anywhere with it. Not sure what i need to change to get things to work. Doesn't help that the link they give for help doesn't even work :(

You need to use the "Check for Updates" button to get the newer version of the mail-ssmtp .conf file.

The domain name is missing in the MAIL FROM: line.

I thought I had fixed that at one time... 

Run this command and see if it fixes your connection.

sed -i "/reWriteDomain/d" /usr/local/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf

Joe L.

I did fix it... in this thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=7269.msg70973#msg70973

and posted an updated .conf file there.   However, it looks like I never uploaded it to google.code.   (Sorry)

I've done it now.   You can use the "Check for Updates" button on the user-scripts page to get the newest version.

You'll need to re-configure the e-mail (as will anyone else installing the updated version)

Leave the Re-Write Domain field blank.

Joe L.