[Plugin] NUT v2 - Network UPS Tools

dmacias

38 minutes ago, killua said:

I don't see how this is possible, when power goes out, unraid instantly does these 3 processes. So there's no "unexpected spin up". Its all expected.
image.png.ee5e1c98e4e4deb1416098a2500b10b9.png

How do i change "emttpd: Spinning up all drives" to "emttpd: Spinning drives 1 by 1".
Or better yet have Unraid kernel mdcmd spinup with a 30 second delay.

I think I know what's the issue here, GEL BATTERY. My UPS uses Gel battery instead of lead-acid. It has long shelf life, 10-20 years vs 5 years (lead-acid) but with the cost of having low "SURGE" current.
Please do an option (staggered spinup) for us that uses Gel batteries!!

There is an obvious problem with the UPS before drive spin-ups even occur. Before spinning up the drives, the UPS is already forcing an emergency shutdown because it sees the battery charge is critically low. This can happen if you let the system run on battery for too long and then it's obvious it won't be able to handle the load of the collective spin-up anymore either, with the battery charge already being that depleted.

Even worse if NUT really instantly does this when the power goes out, as you say it does, then this is a serious issue with your battery being completely degraded or otherwise wrong for the task (too small battery, wrong battery type such as a car battery hooked up to a UPS, ...).

Please read the various explanations by me and other people on this topic once again. I don't know how to put it much clearer than this: Please stop asking for it, it's not happening. I don't know what UPS you are using but it's obviously the wrong choice for the task you require, once more - you need a UPS that can sustain what you are calling the "SURGE" load. A mediocre software solution to a hardware choice issue is not something that is within the scope of the plugin or that will be implemented.

Sorry for the blunt answer, but I really don't know what else there is to say here.

12 hours ago, killua said:

I don't see how this is possible, when power goes out, unraid instantly does these 3 processes.

Usually you only set the UPS to shutdown after some time, at least 30sec or so so that a short power cut of a few seconds doesn't initiate shutdown for nothing. I'm referring to other things happening during that time.

2 minutes ago, rama3124 said:

Hi, I've been running a cyber power BR700ELCD for a few months now without issues but the nut server seems to have stopped working after upgrading to unraid 7.0 beta. I've attached the syslg below, any idea what might be causing my problem? Thanks in advance 

unraid-syslog-20240808-2152.zip 60.78 kB · 0 downloads

It seems your USB device keeps dropping offline every few seconds, do you use some power saving utilities perhaps? Did you make any other changes to your system recently? Have you tried on another USB port or with another USB cable?

The system was running on battery when I downloaded the syslog. Could that affect the USB device? I don't think I run any specific power saving applications but I'll try moving the USB cable. Do you mean the cable for the UPS? Or the USB running unraid?

33 minutes ago, rama3124 said:

The system was running on battery when I downloaded the syslog. Could that affect the USB device? I don't think I run any specific power saving applications but I'll try moving the USB cable. Do you mean the cable for the UPS? Or the USB running unraid?

Being on battery power should not affect the USB devices. What I mean is you should try with the existing USB cable (between Unraid and the UPS) on another USB port (of your Unraid server). If that doesn't work maybe you have another USB cable around that you can try instead of the current one.

27 minutes ago, gabrieleancora said:

Hello, I installed the latest preview version of NUT in my Unraid server but I'm still receiving alerts regarding the battery replacement.

I attached the debug log.

edit: I'm adding back the

pollonly 

config line to ups.conf just to avoid mail spam...

nut-debug-20240809195153.zip 197.24 kB · 0 downloads

2024-08-09_19-53-39.png

Still thanks a lot for reporting back, this is valuable information that'll hopefully help us resolve these problems. 🙂 

9 minutes ago, gabrieleancora said:

I saw your comment on the github issue, I will remove the pollonly and raise the log level to debug 6, I will download the log in 12h~ and let you know how many alerts do i get.

Thanks - "UPS Driver Debug Level" 3 should be enough, otherwise the log file may become too big for Unraid if you let it run many hours. Also, before you do, can you please try adding this line to your UPS.CONF (at the bottom, so it's not overwritten) and then let NUT run with UPS driver debug level 3 for a few hours and collect the logs?

lbrb_log_delay_sec = 3

Then please post the NUT debug package again (that includes all the important information for us). 🙂 

2 hours ago, gabrieleancora said:

Uh I was asleep and didn't see your message.

Anyway I'm attaching the log level 6 log, I received just only one alert around 15 minutes after I re-enabled the plugin and then nothing, could it be that the fix is working from the second time on...?nut-debug-20240810104424.zip

I'll change the config and the log level and let you know if something changes.

I don't think it worked, it was probably just luck that there were not more events. Thanks for trying again with the additional configuration line and also UPS Driver Debug Level on Level 3 (do make sure it is UPS Driver Debug Level that is set to Level 3 and not NUT Monitor Debug Level). Thanks very much again for your help with trying to pinpoint the issue. 🙂 

16 minutes ago, DigitalAnalog said:

I just installed the latest preview of your plugin and it looks to be working. I'm using a brand new BX750.

Did you run into the bogus status issues before or this is the first time using NUT with this new UPS?

Hi,

I’m on 6.12.11 and using nut-2.8.2-x86_64-2master.ssl11 at the moment. My device is Back-UPS BX1200MI. The change seems to reduced the replacement battery warning frequency, precious it was every 9 hours. I’m running the new version for about two days and I’m getting one warning every 19 hours or so. 

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Rysz said:

Did you run into the bogus status issues before or this is the first time using NUT with this new UPS?

I got the incessant spurious battery disconnected/reattached errors with the stock UPS controls in Unraid along with the battery failure notifications. In the preview release of NUT, I'm only getting the "nut_libusb_get_report: Input/Output Error", but there doesn't seem to be a functional impact.

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Rysz said:

I don't think it worked, it was probably just luck that there were not more events. Thanks for trying again with the additional configuration line and also UPS Driver Debug Level on Level 3 (do make sure it is UPS Driver Debug Level that is set to Level 3 and not NUT Monitor Debug Level). Thanks very much again for your help with trying to pinpoint the issue. 🙂 

nut-debug-20240811101308.zip

I think this time I got it right.: nut-debug-20240811101308.zip

Like before for now I only got one alert around 15 min after activating NUT, will let you know if it happens again.

nut-debug-20240811101308.zip

Edited by gabrieleancora
  • Thanks 1

I'm also following the conversation on github , but as its been indicated feedback here is prefered.

Could it be there are 2 issues that got mixed together ?

Back-UPS BX1200MI

running nut-2.8.2-x86_64-2master.ssl31

default config

the status in NUT of "ups.status" is switching back and forth between OL and  OL CHRG. every 12 seconds or so.

On Github I only see reference to OL CHRG in the beginning of the conversation

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/2347

And later only OL+DISCHRG is mentioned.

If i add

lbrb_log_delay_without_calibrating

onlinedischarge_calibration'

to ups.conf, nothing changes .

If i add the following however,

pollonly

The status remain stable on OL

The issue, in my situation,  goes away, Hope this helps someone.

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, DigitalAnalog said:

Another issue I'm noticing is my battery charge status appears to be stuck at 99%.

BX750MI running nut-2.8.2-x86_64-2master.ssl11

Thanks a lot for the information, did you try adding the additional option:

pollonly

at the end of the UPS.CONF file, to see if that stabilizes the situation on your UPS (as for the user below)?

43 minutes ago, uplinc said:

I'm also following the conversation on github , but as its been indicated feedback here is prefered.

Could it be there are 2 issues that got mixed together ?

Back-UPS BX1200MI

running nut-2.8.2-x86_64-2master.ssl31

default config

the status in NUT of "ups.status" is switching back and forth between OL and  OL CHRG. every 12 seconds or so.

On Github I only see reference to OL CHRG in the beginning of the conversation

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/2347

And later only OL+DISCHRG is mentioned.

If i add

to ups.conf, nothing changes .

If i add the following however,

The status remain stable on OL

The issue, in my situation,  goes away, Hope this helps someone.

Thanks a lot for reporting back here, I'm glad you could stabilize things on your UPS with "pollonly". 🙂 

32 minutes ago, gabrieleancora said:

Hello,

I let it test for 24h and got 3 alerts, at 10:54 of the 11 of august, at 23:08 of the same day and at 13:53 of the 12th of August.

Attached are the logs (the syslog was full I hope they recorded at least one event).

I'll lower the debug level to 2 just to avoid filling the syslog...nut-debug-20240812190804.zip

Thanks a lot, it seems to work except for events which are longer lasting than 3 seconds. So we can see an improvement on the new backend, but please do post again your debug file if there is anything new on level 2. 🙂 

On 8/12/2024 at 7:43 PM, Rysz said:

Thanks a lot, it seems to work except for events which are longer lasting than 3 seconds. So we can see an improvement on the new backend, but please do post again your debug file if there is anything new on level 2. 🙂 

I'm still getting alerts every ~12h/24h, with pollonly in the settings I wasn't getting any (I removed it)

12-08-2024 23:43, 13-08-2024 18:18, 14-08-2024 07:02 and 14-08-2024 19:05

Attached the logs with level 2. I still got full log file but now I have increased to 512mb so if you need more let me know.

nut-debug-20240814191233.zip

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, gabrieleancora said:

I'm still getting alerts every ~12h/24h, with pollonly in the settings I wasn't getting any (I removed it)

12-08-2024 23:43, 13-08-2024 18:18, 14-08-2024 07:02 and 14-08-2024 19:05

Attached the logs with level 2. I still got full log file but now I have increased to 512mb so if you need more let me know.

nut-debug-20240814191233.zip 300.52 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks a lot, your reports have been extremely helpful and we have now merged the patches into NUT master.

Since "pollonly" seems to fix the problems for you completely, best to put it back in now and enjoy it working. 🙂 

I have an APC Smart-UPS C 2000 plugged into Unraid using the NUT plugin. About once or twice a day I get a seemingly incorrect notification "UPS On Battery" followed immediately by a "UPS Online". I don't notice the lights blinking when this happened, so I can only assume this is an issue with my UPS. I had the same issue with this UPS connected to my Synology before switching over to Unraid. 

Is there a way to add a custom setting to ignore "on battery" for x seconds before sending out a notification?