Update to 6.3.5

French-Guy

Finally......Parity check is completed, with 0 errors

It took 2 days 1 hour 5 minutes 20 sec (average speed of 11.3 MB/sec) for a 2 TB hard drive.....................!!!

I really need to upgrade

I already have the case (got it for half that price)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KQ66ZC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And 2 of these cages

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215247

So now I will have to decide - for the same price = $40 - between the FX 8320E or a Celeron G3930

Pentium G4560 is $75....

25 minutes ago, French-Guy said:

I think my main criteria to decide between AMD and modern Intel will be power consumption !!!

The "E" version is rated at 55W.  I doubt if it pulls more than 20W max than the Intel.  Since you are in Michigan, I would imagine that your power costs are similar to the rate that I pay in Ohio---  $0.0599/KWH.  This is about an additional $10.50 per year!  So you can use that number as a basis in your Economical Analysis.  I believe it is hardly a factor to really swing the balance one way or the other.   

Again, make sure that your CPU/MB combination has a video solution so that you can connect a monitor for console access.  Also, make sure your PS has a single 12V rail as server usage requires much more power from the 12V buss to power the HD's than a typical PC.  (Starting currents for modern HD's are ~2A per drive!)

I believe it’s a 95w part.  Since your system will rarely be busy, though, what really matters is idle power consumption and the chipset is as much of a factor as the CPU.  I’m sure the AMD setup will pull somewhat more power than the Intel setup but as Frank points out it really doesn’t add up much when you do the math, even in the Northeast where I pay more than $.19/kWh. I’d prefer a motherboard with an Intel LAN chip, but I’d think that motherboard would probably be fine.

38 minutes ago, French-Guy said:

Is the speed difference really noticeable,  let's say for a 800 Mb file for example?

If cache is going to be used to cache writes it won't make a difference if you have gigabit, copy to the server will be LAN limited, move from cache to array will be disk limited.

Archived