(SOLVED) Cache disk filling up every night

Miles-

Since a few weeks the cache pool (JBOD) from my Unraid Server is filling up every day at midnight. After it is completely full it returns to normal and nothing is wrong.
I have no idea what is causing the problem.

Diagnostics are fetched and can be provided.

Thanks in advance.
Miles

5a7a3983806ad_cachefillup.PNG.e06785658f742feff83b67a81b62b5ef.PNG

Ifter some testing it has to have something to do with mover.
When I started it by hand, I got the same problems.

So after looking into the log i found this:
two.PNG.faf802ff740c12ad19980439d7947fce.PNG

I set the prferences to use the chache disks for the system share, but the libvirt folder on the cache disk is empty. In disk 2 there is the libvirt.img. Shouldn't the file be on the cachedrive?
Should I move it there?

55 minutes ago, Miles- said:

@tdallen , @trurl: You were both right.
I changed the Share settings from "YES" to "Prefere".
The problem still occured.
I manualy copied the file that was causing the error.
The error dissapeared.

Thank you for your help.
SOLVED

Well, the system share should be cache-prefer. But you don't say which share you set to cache-prefer. And the subject of this thread is cache-disk filling up every night.

Any share you have set to cache-prefer is going to be moved to cache when mover runs. Any share you want to be moved from cache should be set to cache-yes. The mistake people make that causes there cache to fill up is setting a share to cache-prefer when it should be set to cache-yes.

So, are you sure you have things solved now? Have you run mover to see that everything goes where it should?

On 11.2.2018 at 1:34 PM, trurl said:

Well, the system share should be cache-prefer. But you don't say which share you set to cache-prefer.

I set the system share.

On 11.2.2018 at 1:34 PM, trurl said:

So, are you sure you have things solved now? Have you run mover to see that everything goes where it should?

You are right.

The Cache disk error disappeared, because Mover is not working at all.

This is the error log I'm getting:

cache2.PNG.fb0e311a8e70eac8756a4b5b61ab3326.PNG

But on the cache disk are 360GB free space.

Do you have any other shares that are set to cache-prefer? If you have any shares you want to be written to cache and moved to the array then those shares should be set to cache-yes. So, most shares that use cache should be cache-yes. Only shares you want to be moved to cache and to stay on cache should be set to cache-prefer.

On 2/8/2018 at 7:49 PM, tdallen said:

post your diagnostics

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you've actually got several more shares using cache - starting with L, W and X.  That said, you have two SSDs, 128GB and 256GB.  I am guessing you have them configured for BTRFS RAID-0, spanning with no redundancy?  The devices look like they should have sufficient space but there's clearly an issue because the cache drive is reporting full and mover is unable to pull the Cache Prefer files back from the array.  I'm thinking maybe something is up with BTRFS and hoping @johnnie.black will check in.

On 22.2.2018 at 4:31 PM, tdallen said:

Well, you've actually got several more shares using cache - starting with L, W and X.

Like I wrote, the rest of the shares is set to NO.

On 22.2.2018 at 4:31 PM, tdallen said:

That said, you have two SSDs, 128GB and 256GB.  I am guessing you have them configured for BTRFS RAID-0, spanning with no redundancy?

Correct.

On 22.2.2018 at 4:37 PM, johnnie.black said:

Cache should have lots of space, the syslog ends yesterday:

Feb 21 18:46:45 NASA shfs: cache disk full

Are you still getting cache full errors? If yes reboot, let the server run for a couple of hours and post new diags.

Yes, still full of chache full errors.
Rebooted, let it run an bit, diagnosis in the attachments.

nasa-diagnostics-20180225-2030.zip

Your cache floor settings are wrong.  You've got it set to be 2000000000 which is 2TB (kilobytes are assumed when setting the value in the absence of a suffix).  Change Settings - Global Share Settings - Cache Device - Cache floor to be 2GB which is probably what you want

40 minutes ago, Miles- said:
On 2/22/2018 at 10:31 AM, tdallen said:

Well, you've actually got several more shares using cache - starting with L, W and X.

Like I wrote, the rest of the shares is set to NO.

Cache setting to NO only applies to new files being written to the user share. If the file already exists on the cache, it will not be automatically moved to the array. Turn on the help for that page, and read the descriptions for the different cache settings.

On 25.2.2018 at 9:05 PM, Squid said:

Your cache floor settings are wrong.  You've got it set to be 2000000000 which is 2TB (kilobytes are assumed when setting the value in the absence of a suffix).  Change Settings - Global Share Settings - Cache Device - Cache floor to be 2GB which is probably what you want

This solved the real problem.

No more errors.
Thank you all so much!

Archived