Aaarrgghh!! Deleted my /mnt/disk1

superloopy1

Stoopidly i ran CleanUpAppdata and just lost focus. It offered me up two items to delete, one on /mnt/usr/appdat, the other which was FlexGet with a path on /mnt/disk1. I hit the button to delete and much chuntering of disks later i now have an empty 6TB disk. I assume i'm stuffed as despite having dual parity i have no backups. Disk is xfs btw. Good news is that i at least have a list, courtesy of Dynamix file integrity, of everything thats gone. Can someone just confirm, after the laughter has died down, that all IS indeed lost. [emoji27][emoji27][emoji27]

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Don't think there is anyone evil enough to laugh at you.

Whatever you do - don't do anything that results in new writes to the disk. Then wait for someone with good experience recovering erased files from xfs to join the thread.

Don't think there is anyone evil enough to laugh at you.

Whatever you do - don't do anything that results in new writes to the disk. Then wait for someone with good experience recovering erased files from xfs to join the thread.

I've not touched it since ... too traumatised [emoji38]. With the benefit of hindsight maybe i should've tried to get a 'main' window and hit 'spin down immediately' and faced any further consequences. Aaaarrrggghhh!!

55 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

two items to delete, one on /mnt/usr/appdat, the other which was FlexGet with a path on /mnt/disk1.

Can you zip up the contents of /config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user and send it to me.  Only way it should offer up anything is if the container path is /config 

Can you zip up the contents of /config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user and send it to me.  Only way it should offer up anything is if the container path is /config 

For flexget?

I've taken a look at the xml and i've definitely populated 'HostDir' with '/mnt/disk1'. It was an old, and probably one of my first attempts to use docker dated 2015. Experience now dictates /mnt/user/ .... I just didnt look carefully enough, i just saw the first entry for openvpn-as quite rightly pointing at appdata and hit the button!! It wont happen again ... i'm of the opinion that the data is gone, yes?

2 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

For flexget?

Please.  I want to confirm if you don't mind.  I try and ensure that the plugin only offers up the appropriate appdata folders.  Now, in the case of a wildly misconfigured template, then there's not much I can do about that.

BTW, I always do recommend that people delete old templates that there's zero chance of ever using again.  You can do that in Apps, Previous Apps section

Please.  I want to confirm if you don't mind.  I try and ensure that the plugin only offers up the appropriate appdata folders.  Now, in the case of a wildly misconfigured template, then there's not much I can do about that.

BTW, I always do recommend that people delete old templates that there's zero chance of ever using again.  You can do that in Apps, Previous Apps section
I'm on my mobile so ...175f2fdaa9a1693ce88523aeb64a3193.jpg

Yup.  The plugin did what it was supposed to do.  Wildly misconfigured, but perfectly valid.  Why I've got the check boxes, and the supplemental warning.

You may be able to get the stuff back via something like UFS Explorer with the drive plugged into a Windows Box

Yup.  The plugin did what it was supposed to do.  Wildly misconfigured, but perfectly valid.  Why I've got the check boxes, and the supplemental warning.

You may be able to get the stuff back via something like UFS Explorer with the drive plugged into a Windows Box
Thought as much. Yes, i agree. That was probably my first attempt at configuring a docker image, never used at all, and it's come back to bite me! What's UFS Explorer, is it windows based? How do i drop this disk from my array without losing anything else? Keeping hands off for now [emoji38]

Just now, superloopy1 said:

How do i drop this disk from my array without losing anything else?

Yes, its windows based.  I don't however have a lot of experience with it.  BUT, pretty much anything you do to recover the files (especially since you're odds on going to be removing the drive from your server) is going to wind up effectively invalidating your parity information anyways.  I'd see if @pwm or @johnnie.black have anything to say before doing anything.

Yes, its windows based.  I don't however have a lot of experience with it.  BUT, pretty much anything you do to recover the files (especially since you're odds on going to be removing the drive from your server) is going to wind up effectively invalidating your parity information anyways.  I'd see if [mention=61820]pwm[/mention] or [mention=353]johnnie.black[/mention] have anything to say before doing anything.

I will .... i've rarely, if ever, used CleanupAppData, and i suppose it was superseded by CA Backup/Restore which i have used. Apologies if i've got this wrong. But i was just doing a little 'tidying' of the array. Moral is ... before anyone says it ... backup, backup and backup again. Dual parity is of no use if you choose to wipe your disk out of stupidity. I accept the blame, d'oh!

It's time to sort this out now armed with a copy of UFS explorer AND Active Undelete as my backup. The array has been offline since the 'event' and i now need to pull the affected disk which will leave the array vulnerable as i dont want to have to rebuild parity by replacing the disk but i DO want the array back online. I am right in saying that, with dual parity already installed, i should be ok even with another disk failure (assuming its not parity of course!) , yes? But with my luck, who knows ....

9 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

If another data disk bites the dust AND a parity disk also, the remaining parity can gandle things ie two data and its sibling down?

No, you can only lose one more disk, doesn't matter if it's data or parity disk, it's very simple, with single parity you can lose any disk before you lose data, will dual parity you can lose any two disks.

No, you can only lose one more disk, doesn't matter if it's data or parity disk, it's very simple, with single parity you can lose any disk before you lose data, will dual parity you can lose any two disks.
Thought so. Thanks for confirming. So 1 parity = 1 physical disk of any variant. Makes sense of course. I may just power array back off after i pull the disk cos its going to take some time to scan. Why take a risk with it online anyway ...

............ and for the record 

Nobody here would ever consider this funny at your expense. We've all lost Data due to some kind of dumbness of our own doing and it really sucks. 

I'd personally recommend after you survive this look into installing the Recycle Bin Plugin. Its saved my Bacon many times. 

6 hours ago, kizer said:

installing the Recycle Bin Plugin. Its saved my Bacon many times. 

Wouldn't have helped in this circumstance.  Recycle Bin is only for network deletes.

6 hours ago, superloopy1 said:

Thought so. Thanks for confirming. So 1 parity = 1 physical disk of any variant. Makes sense of course. I may just power array back off after i pull the disk cos its going to take some time to scan. Why take a risk with it online anyway ...

Just so that there's no further surprises, by removing the drive from the array, recovering the files on it your parity is invalid once you add it back it.  You will ultimately have to do a New Config to get the drive back into the array.  

9 minutes ago, Squid said:

Wouldn't have helped in this circumstance.  Recycle Bin is only for network deletes.

Just so that there's no further surprises, by removing the drive from the array, recovering the files on it your parity is invalid once you add it back it.  You will ultimately have to do a New Config to get the drive back into the array.  

Thanks for that Clarification. I'm quick to jump sometimes on my suggestions. 

Why would parity be invalid after recovering files? Drive is empty and in parity atm. I would be revovering to another disk.

In that case if nothing is touched at all on the source disk then parity will still be fine
1 hour ago, Squid said:

In that case if nothing is touched at all on the source disk then parity will still be fine

Since I'm not familiar with the recovery utilities, I wouldn't assume nothing is touched, so a parity check might be in order after putting the drive back.

Archived