DiskSpeed, hard drive benchmarking (unRAID 6+), version 2.9.2

598 posts in this topic Last Reply

15 hours ago, juan11perez said:

Good day, so I ended up replacing the drive because it continued to just hang everything.

I plecleared it and in theory it "passed" after 56 hours. The diskspeed tests, continue to be very poor. 

So I think it's failed.

Before dispossing of it, i want to confirm my assumptions.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thank you

Are the most recent tests reflecting a line near the bottom of the graph? If so, then yes, I'd say it's likely a failed drive. Interesting enough, the SMART report doesn't show any bad sectors - which is pretty much the reason I created this app.

If the more recent drives show the reads near the top of the graph but with a dip in the middle, I'd be interested in taking this drive off your hands to use for testing version 3 of the app. If it's all flat towards the bottom, I've already have a drive doing that.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This Docker Application will let you view your storage controllers & the drives attached to them and perform Benchmarks on both. Controller Benchmarks helps to identify if the drives attached to i

I'm taking this application out of BETA status. Version 2.0 has been released.   Release 2.0 Added progress bars to the drive benchmarking Rewrote the Controller Benchmark to be

Currently in development - Drive Heat Maps. Each square = 1GB. Each line here is 100GB. Color represents MB/s read over that GB. And it looks like I'll be able to tell you what file is located where o

Posted Images

Thank you for your response. In latter tests the drive starts at over 100M and after reaching circa 10% it dives to around 50M and stays there to the end.

The middle dip results were produced until about 10 days ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

If you have USBIP module vhci_hcd loaded then your scan fails for USBs.

I have attached the log here, let me know if you need any additional info or need me to test?

Spoiler

Scanning Hardware
14:14:51 Spinning up hard drives
14:14:51 Scanning system storage
14:14:51 Scanning USB Bus

Lucee 5.2.9.31 Error (expression)

MessageInvalid array index [0], arrays start with index [1]

StacktraceThe Error Occurred in
/var/www/ScanControllers.cfm: line 418

416: <CFSET USBTree[i]=ParseUSB(CurrLine)>
417: <CFSET Tmp=REMatchNoCase("[\da-f]{4}:[\da-f]{2}:[\da-f]{2}.[\da-f]{1}",CurrLine)>
418: <CFSET USBTree[i].Bus=Tmp[ArrayLen(Tmp)]>
419: </CFLOOP>
420:

called from /var/www/ScanControllers.cfm: line 372

370: <CFSET OK=1>
371: </CFIF>
372: </CFLOOP>
373: <!--- Set top level ChildDrives --->
374: <CFLOOP index="i" from="1" to="#ArrayLen(HWTree)#">

Java Stacktracelucee.runtime.exp.ExpressionException: Invalid array index [0], arrays start with index [1]
  at lucee.runtime.type.wrap.ListAsArray.getE(ListAsArray.java:110)
  at lucee.runtime.type.wrap.ListAsArray.get(ListAsArray.java:284)
  at lucee.runtime.type.wrap.ListAsArray.get(ListAsArray.java:289)
  at lucee.runtime.type.util.ArraySupport.get(ArraySupport.java:326)
  at lucee.runtime.util.VariableUtilImpl.get(VariableUtilImpl.java:263)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl.get(PageContextImpl.java:1516)
  at scancontrollers_cfm$cf.call_000027(/ScanControllers.cfm:418)
  at scancontrollers_cfm$cf.call(/ScanControllers.cfm:372)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._doInclude(PageContextImpl.java:933)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._doInclude(PageContextImpl.java:823)
  at lucee.runtime.listener.ClassicAppListener._onRequest(ClassicAppListener.java:66)
  at lucee.runtime.listener.MixedAppListener.onRequest(MixedAppListener.java:45)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl.execute(PageContextImpl.java:2464)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl._execute(PageContextImpl.java:2454)
  at lucee.runtime.PageContextImpl.executeCFML(PageContextImpl.java:2427)
  at lucee.runtime.engine.Request.exe(Request.java:44)
  at lucee.runtime.engine.CFMLEngineImpl._service(CFMLEngineImpl.java:1090)
  at lucee.runtime.engine.CFMLEngineImpl.serviceCFML(CFMLEngineImpl.java:1038)
  at lucee.loader.engine.CFMLEngineWrapper.serviceCFML(CFMLEngineWrapper.java:102)
  at lucee.loader.servlet.CFMLServlet.service(CFMLServlet.java:51)
  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:292)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207)
  at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:212)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:94)
  at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:492)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:141)
  at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:80)
  at org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:620)
  at org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteIpValve.invoke(RemoteIpValve.java:684)
  at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:88)
  at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:502)
  at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1152)
  at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:684)
  at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$SocketWithOptionsProcessor.run(AprEndpoint.java:2464)
  at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
  at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
  at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Timestamp4/16/21 2:14:51 PM BST

On 4/16/2021 at 6:21 AM, SimonF said:

Hi John,

If you have USBIP module vhci_hcd loaded then your scan fails for USBs.

I have attached the log here, let me know if you need any additional info or need me to test?

Can you show me how you have the USBIP module vhci_hcd set up so I can duplicate the issue as you have it configured?

1 hour ago, jbartlett said:

Can you show me how you have the USBIP module vhci_hcd set up so I can duplicate the issue as you have it configured?

You just need to modprobe vhci_hcd this will then create two virtual usb hubs

Apr 18 06:48:19 computenode kernel: vhci_hcd vhci_hcd.0: USB/IP Virtual Host Controller
Apr 18 06:48:19 computenode kernel: vhci_hcd vhci_hcd.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
Apr 18 06:48:19 computenode kernel: vhci_hcd: created sysfs vhci_hcd.0
Apr 18 06:48:19 computenode kernel: hub 3-0:1.0: USB hub found
Apr 18 06:48:19 computenode kernel: hub 3-0:1.0: 8 ports detected
Apr 18 06:48:19 computenode kernel: vhci_hcd vhci_hcd.0: USB/IP Virtual Host Controller
Apr 18 06:48:19 computenode kernel: vhci_hcd vhci_hcd.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 4
Apr 18 06:48:19 computenode kernel: usb usb4: We don't know the algorithms for LPM for this host, disabling LPM.
Apr 18 06:48:19 computenode kernel: hub 4-0:1.0: USB hub found
Apr 18 06:48:19 computenode kernel: hub 4-0:1.0: 8 ports detected

• jbartlett changed the title to DiskSpeed, hard drive benchmarking (unRAID 6+), version 2.9.2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

Am I going insane, or did there used to be a "Benchmark all" button or something to that extent? The only 'multiple benchmark' button I can find is under the controller info, and that seems to just check for a controller bottleneck.

Also, when I look at the "USB Bus Tree" page, I see this error.

Thanks for all your work!

image.thumb.png.cbfca52f9a81b3be46f29d888824c42a.png

5 hours ago, Alexstrasza said:

Hi John,

Am I going insane, or did there used to be a "Benchmark all" button or something to that extent? The only 'multiple benchmark' button I can find is under the controller info, and that seems to just check for a controller bottleneck.

Also, when I look at the "USB Bus Tree" page, I see this error.

Thanks for all your work!

The error in the USB Bus tree stopped the rest of the page from displaying which prevented you from seeing the Benchmark All button. I pushed version 2.9.3 which checks for the existence of the idProduct variable and sets it if not created by the USB device.

Posted (edited)

...it's still strange...

Dont know if unraid or something else is the culprit...

But what i can say is this:

I can remember that an older version of this docker started "all" disk and "then" did the testing.

This version start a disk, do a test, start the next disk, do a test and so on...

unraid weird DiskSpeeds 2021-05-04 182642.jpg

Edited by Zonediver
4 hours ago, Zonediver said:

...it's still strange...

Dont know if unraid or something else is the culprit...

But what i can say is this:

I can remember that an older version of this docker started "all" disk and "then" did the testing.

This version start a disk, do a test, start the next disk, do a test and so on...

Clicking on the "Benchmark Drives" button on the home page (click on the "DiskSpeed" header) allows you to benchmark all controllers at the same time with controller testing each drive attached to it in sequence.

11 hours ago, jbartlett said:

Clicking on the "Benchmark Drives" button on the home page (click on the "DiskSpeed" header) allows you to benchmark all controllers at the same time with controller testing each drive attached to it in sequence.

I know this option but thats not the point.

The strange thing is, if all disk are in sleep and i start the benchmark, almost all disk are too slow and i dont know why...

If all of them are spun up, all is fine and running normal.

6 hours ago, Zonediver said:

I know this option but thats not the point.

The strange thing is, if all disk are in sleep and i start the benchmark, almost all disk are too slow and i dont know why...

If all of them are spun up, all is fine and running normal.

The average speed logic discards the first read which includes any potential spinup / drive head placement. It might not be dropping enough in your case. Does your SMART data include spin up time?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, jbartlett said:

Can you provide that information?

Yes - do you need this data for all drives or only for that on the HBA?

Anyway, i will create a list of all disks containing this information.

Edited by Zonediver
10 hours ago, Zonediver said:

Yes - do you need this data for all drives or only for that on the HBA?

Anyway, i will create a list of all disks containing this information.

All would be telling. Notably if the drives on one controller is higher than drives on another. In theory, they should all be roughly the same. If it looks like they are, just a number. It should be given in milliseconds or 1000=1 second.

The dd command outputs a status every second so if it takes longer than I accounted for, I may need to increase the number of seconds to drop from the start.

Good news: It's not your system! I spun down my drives and ran a controller benchmark and I got the same results.

image.png.b41d5ab8183c7d72aadb14d2942caecf.png

The drive benchmark performs a couple seek tests & a latency test on the drive prior to benchmarking so it's pretty much assured to have the drives spun up when it actually starts reading the drive via the dd command. The controller benchmark doesn't do those tests prior. I need to revisit the spin-up logic.

On 5/3/2021 at 6:10 PM, jbartlett said:

The error in the USB Bus tree stopped the rest of the page from displaying which prevented you from seeing the Benchmark All button. I pushed version 2.9.3 which checks for the existence of the idProduct variable and sets it if not created by the USB device.

Good to hear! I'm glad I'm not going insane :).

Unfortunately I still can't see the button because of another error:

key [iManufacturer] doesn't exist

Sounds like it's the same thing again but for this key 😅. I wonder what it's trying to read that lacks these values?

5 hours ago, Alexstrasza said:

Good to hear! I'm glad I'm not going insane :).

Unfortunately I still can't see the button because of another error:

key [iManufacturer] doesn't exist

Sounds like it's the same thing again but for this key 😅. I wonder what it's trying to read that lacks these values?

Your USB device is annoying. 😁

I added an existence check for that variable and looked for other potential misses and repushed version 2.9.3