newegg 8/13 1pm-11:59pm PT - Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS 2TB - $98.99

graywolf

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Code stacks!!!  :D

2TB for $89.99...

That's surprising, since they have clauses specifically saying you can't do that.  Guess this one slipped through the cracks...

Do these 2 TB drives have the same high failure rates as the 5900 rpm 1.5 TB drives?  I'm tempted to jump on this deal, but not if this thing is a dud.

I love a good bargain.. But I don't need one of these drives yet. Can ya believe it.

However, if you guys see a $99 deal or better on a 2TB 7200rpm Hitachi. let me know.

I want to get one or two to benchmark vs a Seagate.7200 RPM 1.5TB.

I also want to compare parity performance for 2 Hitachi 7200RPM 2TB's in RAID0 vs 2 Seagate 7200RPM in RAID0.

$96.44 for us poor taxed saps in California.

I've had some Seagate problems lately, including one incident with this exact model, but Seagate's support has made up for it, so I'm picking one up.  (Editorial/soapbox: which is more than I can say for the likes of Diamond Multimedia or HIS when it comes to rebates and/or support hardware issues with my video cards... sorry, just feeling bitter lately  ;) )

Mine arrived today.  Label indicates C34 but the boot disc indicated no available firmware.  Preclearing now stage 1.  Started off ~110 MB/s 

That maxes me out at 20 drives.  ;D

I have no willpower... 

do we still have to flash firmware on these?

If it comes with CC34 firmware, it's recommended to upgrade to CC35.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=213915&NewLang=en&Hilite=213915

Alright, so I burned the boot image (CD ISO file), hooked up the optical drive, boot from newly burned media into their tool and ran into a few issues.

The first issue is their scan would only detect the first drive which was a WD and would not scan further. I shutdown poweroff, disconnect all but the Seagate drive and reboot. With only the Seagate connected, it would not detect any drives at all. I've seen this behavior before, so I had an idea of what to try. I reboot into bios, flip the SATA mode from AHCI to EIDE. I try the scan, it finds the drive, so I tell it to download firmware. It takes a few seconds then kicks back "Model Matched. No Firmware Match! Will Not Download Firmware! -- Model matched but firmware version is not compatible."

Now this is getting really annoying.

It seems that Seagate is limiting firmware CC35 to only a sub-selection of specific serial number drives [ http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-XT-Barracuda-and/Idle-clicking-of-Seagate-Barracuda-LP-HDs-and-DOA-issues/m-p/51064#M19467 ]

So I too received my drive earlier today, and I also got it with the CC34 firmware.  Can anyone tell me what the CC35 firmware is supposed to fix?  I read the Seagate firmware page linked to earlier, and couldn't find the issues it's supposed to resolve.

Having never ever had to fiddle with firmware on any of my hard drives, I'm just tempted to just run the preclear script and let that determine if the drive is having problems...  would that be a bad idea?