Wayne_Emter

Tried to upgrade from 6.5.3 to 6.6 and won't boot up after reboot

30 posts in this topic Last Reply

6 minutes ago, rymalco said:

not running dockers

You have a docker image mounted as shown in the next-to-last line of those "cat /proc/mounts" results. Might as well disable docker, delete the image and reclaim its storage.

11 hours ago, trurl said:

You have a docker image mounted as shown in the next-to-last line of those "cat /proc/mounts" results. Might as well disable docker, delete the image and reclaim its storage.

Thanks for tip! :)

It looks as if VMs might also be enabled since libvirt is being mounted.  If so disabling that might also be a good idea.

On 1/9/2019 at 11:27 PM, limetech said:

If the issue gets reported more often we'll have to dive into kernel source to see what's going on.

Here's another one  (Also added @johnnie.black's solution to the FAQ)

Edited by Squid

On 1/9/2019 at 4:28 PM, johnnie.black said:

Try this, it worked for me for an identical error, on the flash drive edit syslinux/syslinux.cfg and add root=sda to the boot option you're using after initrd=/bzroot, e.g.:

label Unraid OS
   menu default
   kernel /bzimage
   append initrd=/bzroot root=sda

Johnnie, thank you for posting this! 

My situation is a bit different as I'm running Unraid under ESXi, which isn't supported, but has done exactly what I need it to do for years.

In my case, everything works perfectly using ESXi 6.0 and ESXi 6.5 but as soon as I tried upgrading to ESXi 6.7 I kept getting the "VFS: cannot open root devise "(null)" or unknown-block(0,0): error -6" message.

I tried everything I could think of and had basically decided that ESXi 6.5 was the highest I could use while keeping Unraid.  I added the " root=sda" on each of the append initrd lines, rebooted the VM, and it booted up perfectly.

Honestly, I have no idea what this does or why it would make any difference at all, but it fixed booting an Unraid 6.6.6 VM in ESXi 6.7

Thanks!