[Support] binhex - qBittorrentVPN

9 hours ago, thatsthefrickenlightning said:

This is what I get when I enter 'natpmpc' after installing it in the container's console. QB is working fine at this point, just not connectable.

initnatpmp() returned (SUCCESS)
using gateway: 172.17.0.1
sendpublicaddressrequest returned 2 (SUCCESS)
readnatpmpresponseorretry returned -7 (FAILED)
readnatpmpresponseorretry() failed: the gateway does not support nat-pmp
errno-111 'Connection refused'

are you connecting to a protonvpn endpoint that supports port forwarding?, note the section in the webpage i linked to describing this exact error.

Seeing as Gluetun works with an MIT license, could this situation be as simple as just copying Gluetun's work with some changes to fit your container?

that would be a nasty cludge that i wouldnt be happy to entertain, sorry, you would be better off simply using deluge (no vpn) and routing it through gluetun in the way its supposed to be used.

I've always felt reassured by your iptables approach to prevent leaks. Does Gluetun sound like it has similar reliability? They say the following about this feature:

i honestly dont know how gluetun works in this regards, but the word 'killswitch' suggests to me that gluetun is reactive (kills connection when vpn goes down) as opposed to proactive (my images - protection is always on irrespective of state of vpn).

On 6/29/2023 at 5:14 PM, rikdegraaff said:

Hi all,

Have a little problem after a failed parity disk replacement.

Some of my docker containers were still running, and I have 4 binhex-qbitvpn containers.

Some of the torrents inside the containers were fully downloaded, and now not anymore cause of a partly failed rebuild.

Nothing problementary at all, so I want to download them again to 100%.

They are still in the clients, but some of the torrents continue after automatically being reset to 0.0 percent due to missing files.

But now comes the problem, some of the torrents are in the 0.0 percent state with as status Errored.
The log files said, no space left on device.

But, there is still over 6 TB left on the array, before there wasn't, now there is.

I've already tried to recheck those, but they recheck and say, even with 0.0% and space left, still Errored and I get also continuous get errors in my log files that say no space left.

What can I do, other that removing them and add them again, as I don't have the torrent files on my pc (maybe on the server/docker folder somewhere), to get them started again to download the full torrent again, as they should after getting them at 0 percent?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for reading this whole "tale".

-Rikdegraaff

Guys does someone here has a solution for this..? @binhex maybe?
Excuse me for bumping my own post, or should I make a fresh topic to address this problem?

On 7/1/2023 at 12:59 PM, thatsthefrickenlightning said:

This is what I get when I enter 'natpmpc' after installing it in the container's console. QB is working fine at this point, just not connectable.

But we may not need to get into that all the way. There's another container (Gluetun) that just added support for Proton VPN port forwarding (which I suspect just means it supports NAT-PMP port forwarding). A few thoughts on this:

• Seeing as Gluetun works with an MIT license, could this situation be as simple as just copying Gluetun's work with some changes to fit your container?
  • Or, as a stop-gap fix, I can point the QBVPN container to Gluetun for its network access. I'm no expert, but I've always felt reassured by your iptables approach to prevent leaks. Does Gluetun sound like it has similar reliability? They say the following about this feature:

I'm no big fish but I do like my privacy.

Many thanks.

I have been following the topic and nice to see it in the right direction.

When I tried to install natpmpc via pacman, I get the “pacman not found” error. How were you able to install it? Thanks!

12 hours ago, st34m said:

I have been following the topic and nice to see it in the right direction.

When I tried to install natpmpc via pacman, I get the “pacman not found” error. How were you able to install it? Thanks!

then you are either not using my image or you are trying to run pacman from the hosts terminal and not from the console of the container.

On 7/1/2023 at 10:34 PM, binhex said:

are you connecting to a protonvpn endpoint that supports port forwarding?, note the section in the webpage i linked to describing this exact error.

that would be a nasty cludge that i wouldnt be happy to entertain, sorry, you would be better off simply using deluge (no vpn) and routing it through gluetun in the way its supposed to be used.

i honestly dont know how gluetun works in this regards, but the word 'killswitch' suggests to me that gluetun is reactive (kills connection when vpn goes down) as opposed to proactive (my images - protection is always on irrespective of state of vpn).

Apologies! I didn't see that section of the how-to. I'll walk through that when I'm home from work. I'm sure that's the missing piece to get QBVPN working, albeit with some extra manual work required after every container restart. Something something gift horse, of course.

@st34m, I got natpmpc installed without issue. As Binhex said, I suspect you entered the commands in Unraid's terminal instead of the container's.

11 hours ago, binhex said:

then you are either not using my image or you are trying to run pacman from the hosts terminal and not from the console of the container.

I tried it again and worked like a charm. I probably made a typo in the first try.

Thank you both @binhex @thatsthefrickenlightning

By the way I receive the same error even though the config is fine on ProtonVPN side.

Edited by st34m
  • Like 1

What is the correct way to setup PIA with port forwarding? I was previously using a wireguard config for Mullvad, and swapped VPN_PROV from custom to pia, then entered my user/pass, and started it up. Currently it gets stuck on "[info] Trying to connect to the PIA WireGuard API on 'xx.xx.xx.xx'...". Will post logs if needed/this is something that needs troubleshooting but Im figuring Im just missing some step of the setup.

Edit: nevermind me, deleting the wg0.conf fixed the issue. It seems swapping from custom to pia doesn't remove the old one, and that's what my issue was. Leaving up in case someone finds it via search in the future

Edited by NotABanana
3 minutes ago, NotABanana said:

What is the correct way to setup PIA with port forwarding? I was previously using a wireguard config for Mullvad, and swapped VPN_PROV from custom to pia, then entered my user/pass, and started it up. Currently it gets stuck on "[info] Trying to connect to the PIA WireGuard API on 'xx.xx.xx.xx'...". Will post logs if needed/this is something that needs troubleshooting but Im figuring Im just missing some step of the setup.

that should be all you need to do, do the following:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

1 minute ago, binhex said:

that should be all you need to do, do the following:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/help.md

Sorry edited my post without seeing you had replied. The issue was my wg0.conf from Mullvad was still present in the appdata. Unfortunately I deleted it without looking so can't tell you what went wrong with the file, but that resolved the issue, it connected and handled the port all fine automatically after that.

34 minutes ago, NotABanana said:

Unfortunately I deleted it without looking so can't tell you what went wrong with the file...

yeah for obvious reasons a mullvad wireguard config file will not be compatible with PIA, so removal is the correct course of action.

Thank you so much for all that you do binhex! You've built so many amazing containers, and frankly I'd be lost without you.  

On 6/30/2023 at 8:01 AM, binhex said:

step 1. install natpmp by getting to the 'console' of the container then typing `pacman -S libnatpmp` confirm install, then issue the command `natpmpc` to ensure its installed.

Just so you know, after this step I had to run 'pacman -Syu'.  Without this I either had out of date repositories or something.  I could see the package could be installed, but none of the repositories could give me the file.  After running the command I declined all of the available upgrades (I was unsure if I would break the container), but re-running 'pacman -S libnatpmp' was successful.

Also, in case you already aren't aware, IVPN also announced that it would no longer offer port fowarding.  This will push many people to Proton VPN as it did myself.  Hopefully Proton will make it easier to retain a port forward, but until then hopefully we can figure out a workaround for PMP request.  I've seen some scripts online, but I'm unsure of the exact way to implement it with the current docker container.

I've experimented with trying to change the port via the qBittorrent API, but that hasn't been successful for me.  The only other route I can think of is when a port change happens to shut down qBittorrent, update the config, spin it back up.  Either way seems rather cumbersome.

Edited by DaddyNugget
On 7/3/2023 at 5:06 PM, st34m said:

That gateway looks like IVPN not ProtonVPN.  I'd double check to make sure everything is straightened out.  For what it's worth I also got an error message while requesting a port forward, but this was after several hours of success.

Edited by DaddyNugget
7 hours ago, DaddyNugget said:

but this was after several hours of success.

so, you got a valid incoming port assigned to you from protonvpn via the method described in the 'manual configuration' from this site?:- https://protonvpn.com/support/port-forwarding-manual-setup/

perhaps the port was closed due to not refreshing every 60 seconds? taken from the link above -  'Port forwarding is now activated. Note that closing your terminal window will terminate the loop process. You will need to re-run this loop script each time you want to start a new port forwarding session, or the port will only stay open for 60 seconds. '

2 hours ago, binhex said:

perhaps the port was closed due to not refreshing every 60 seconds?

No, actually in my case I eventually received an error stating "This gateway does not support NAT-PMP" a few times then the loop stopped working.  I simply started it again when I saw it, and it's been chugging along fine since.  My guess is that their server restarted, or docker updated or something.

6 minutes ago, DaddyNugget said:

No, actually in my case I eventually received an error stating "This gateway does not support NAT-PMP" a few times then the loop stopped working.  I simply started it again when I saw it, and it's been chugging along fine since.  My guess is that their server restarted, or docker updated or something.

ok so you have had a working incoming port assignment at some point then, yes?

15 hours ago, binhex said:

ok so you have had a working incoming port assignment at some point then, yes?

Correct, I wasn't trying to ask for help, I was trying to let the other user know that there may be an odd error here or there, but your overall instructions should work.  The only thing I needed to do outside of that was update pacman, which I mentioned previously.  This was just to help other people if they get stuck like I did.

Sorry for the confusion.  At this time I'm all set.

On 6/30/2023 at 12:49 PM, thatsthefrickenlightning said:

Any and all work is appreciated. I believe I donated to you in the past but I'll have to do so again given how much I use your software.

In the meantime, can you clue me in as to how to discover the NAT-PMP forwarded port for manual entry?

E: I suspect with the excellent Mullvad sunsetting port forwarding support, this question will be asked more than once.

ProtonVPN support is now in!, the image (just built - please pull down) will now automatically assign and set an incoming port for you in the application, support for both wireguard and openvpn is included, for instructions see Q31:- https://github.com/binhex/documentation/blob/master/docker/faq/vpn.md

• Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, urbanracer34 said:

What is in the newest build of the container? I hope there isn't an update to qbittorrent as I have to use specific versions. 

Scroll up one post above yours. You can also see the notes for each build in the dockerhub link in the first post in this thread.