Share cache drive?

rmilyard

You can share any disks but I don't recommend it. If you mix disks and user shares when moving or copying files you can lose that data.

Managing files at the disk level is better done on the server and not over the network anyway. Have you ever worked at the command line?

1 hour ago, trurl said:

You can share any disks but I don't recommend it. If you mix disks and user shares when moving or copying files you can lose that data.

Managing files at the disk level is better done on the server and not over the network anyway. Have you ever worked at the command line?

I still don’t see a way to share cache. 

10 hours ago, rmilyard said:

Cache is a disk share (located on the Shares page).  Click on it and set the sharing as desired.

I have temporarily set mine as Public as an example (although Secure or Private would be better if you really want to share it).

I don't share disks, and I recommend that you do not either.  It is best to share just user shares for the reasons trurl mentioned.  It would be too easy to inadvertently do something that could cause data loss.

image.thumb.png.f198cdf2fae8d47ee049de10659b5d83.png

image.png.c794e2b94852264ce27da54316791cb5.png

8 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Cache is a disk share (located on the Shares page).  Click on it and set the sharing as desired.

I have set mine as Public as an example (although Secure or Private would be better if you really want to share it).

I don't share disks, just user shares for the reasons trurl mentioned.  It would be too easy to inadvertently do something that could cause data loss.

I'm a little confused. You state that you don't share disks, yet you are clearly sharing cache. You are aware that's contradictory, right?

If you share the cache disk and move things to a user share, there is a good chance you will lose data.

There is a good reason the cache is listed on the disk share page. IT IS A DISK SHARE.

9 hours ago, rmilyard said:

I was trying to get you to consider an alternative approach. If you do as Hoopster says and share your cache drive then you must NOT try to move files from cache to a user share since cache is a disk. You can move them to a specific disk, which of course you would also have to share, further increasing your risk of making a costly mistake.

Doing these moves over the network is going to be a lot slower than doing them on the server since they will have to make a round trip.

So I have a different question now.  I am rebuilding parity since had to switch out a drive.  It was moving along at 110-150 MB/sec.  While it was going I used the Unbalanced plugin to move few media files from cache to the array.  I know this would slow down the parity while this is going on.  I moved about 40gb of files.  After done and checking on the parity it is now running at 8 MB/sec and saying 5 days now.  Is there something I can do to speed it back up or did I screw up?

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

I'm a little confused. You state that you don't share disks, yet you are clearly sharing cache. You are aware that's contradictory, right?

I temporarily shared it so I could show the OP how it is done.  He seemed to want to know how even though it is not recommended.  Sharing has been turned off again on my cache disk.

6 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I temporarily shared it so I could show the OP how it is done.  He seemed to want to know how even though it is not recommended.  Sharing has been turned off again on my cache disk.

Cool. Your post was a little ambiguous on that point. The danger here is that if someone doesn't have the knowledge to understand how to share the cache, the chances of them knowing how to avoid data loss if they do share it is pretty slim. Giving someone a gun without proper firearms instruction is not good.

2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Cool. Your post was a little ambiguous on that point. The danger here is that if someone doesn't have the knowledge to understand how to share the cache, the chances of them knowing how to avoid data loss if they do share it is pretty slim. Giving someone a gun without proper firearms instruction is not good.

Yeah, I can see my post might have created confusion on that point.  I knew what I meant, so, of course, it made sense to me 😀

I will modify it to avoid confusion.

Archived