Chris's remaining unRAID questions...

ix400

I finally decided to start building up an unRAID server. The first components already arrived: A supermicro C2SEE and a Celeron E3300. I've already ordered 2 AOC-SASLP-MV8 (not easy to come by in Europe).

I'm going to order a Norco 4220 in one or two weeks. I have a question regarding the power button of that case: Can I safely shut down / start the unRAID server by just pushing the 4220's power button? Or do I have to shut down the machine via the Web Interface?

Regards,

Chris

(hope you can understand my question, I'm from germany and my English is a bit crappy).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your English is perfect.

You can start / power on the server with the Norco's power button.  In fact, that's the only way to do it.

To shut down / power down the server safely, you have to use the buttons on the web interface (the array first has to be stopped, then you can power down).

However, there is a user created add-on called Powerdown that lets you shut the server down safely from the power button.  The easiest way to install it would be to first install unMenu, then install powerdown via the 'packages' page on unMenu.  The Powerdown script also saves a copy of your syslog to the flash drive, which is great for troubleshooting.

(hope you can understand my question, I'm from germany and my English is a bit crappy).

I would never had known if you didn't say so.

Intentional humor, or serious irony?

I'm from America, and my English is pretty crappy too, and I don't get this? seemed more like just a statement, not really humor or irony? what am I missing?

I'm from America, and my English is pretty crappy too, and I don't get this? seemed more like just a statement, not really humor or irony? what am I missing?

Well, it's a (presumably) native English speaker telling a person for whom English is not their first language that the non-native English speaker's grammar is okay, while using poor grammar himself.

I would never had known if you didn't say so.

should read something like: I would never have known if you hadn't said so. Okay, I've had my pedantic moment for the day. Sorry, let's move on.  ;D

Your English is perfect.

You can start / power on the server with the Norco's power button.  In fact, that's the only way to do it.

To shut down / power down the server safely, you have to use the buttons on the web interface (the array first has to be stopped, then you can power down).

However, there is a user created add-on called Powerdown that lets you shut the server down safely from the power button.  The easiest way to install it would be to first install unMenu, then install powerdown via the 'packages' page on unMenu.  The Powerdown script also saves a copy of your syslog to the flash drive, which is great for troubleshooting.

I thought unRaid already had this implemented. I haven't touched unRaid, and yet I can hit the power button and it will safely shutdown the array, then the server.

I hope I'm not missing something.

Your English is perfect.

I thought unRaid already had this implemented. I haven't touched unRaid, and yet I can hit the power button and it will safely shutdown the array, then the server.

I hope I'm not missing something.

You are missing something.

unRAID as delivered from lime-technology has partially implemented a "powerdown" command.  The one supplied by lime-tech will NOT un-mount a disk that is currently busy.  It will wait forever for the disk to become idle.  This is clearly not desired when in a power failure.

In addition, the lime-technology command simply presses the button on the web-interface. (It does it behind the scenes, but it expects emhttp to be running to be listening for the button press)  Unfortunately, in many situations where it is necessary to force the server to power down, the emhttp interface has already been killed off or is un-responsive, making the supplied powerdown command ineffective.

The APCUPSD command as installed by unMENU requires the powerdown package written by WeeboTech to be installed.  It explicitly invokes it and not the one supplied by unRAID. 

Your English is perfect.

There is another way to power ON the Norco or for that matter any server located in another room.

However you will need a router with DDWRT and motherboard with WOL enabled in the BIOS.

Go to your router web-management page - under "administration" you will have WOL tab.

Once you add the MAC address for your server you will be able (at least I can do it) to power ON your server from "OFF" state.

Your English is perfect.

There is another way to power ON the Norco or for that matter any server located in another room.

However you will need a router with DDWRT and motherboard with WOL enabled in the BIOS.

Go to your router web-management page - under "administration" you will have WOL tab.

Once you add the MAC address for your server you will be able (at least I can do it) to power ON your server from "OFF" state.

There's a third way, which I've implemented on my second server.

I set the BIOS power options so that "Restore on AC Power Loss" is set to "Power On".

I power the server down correctly using the web interface, then use an RF power switch to cut the power to the server. When I want to power it on again, I can do it with the RF remote. No need to enter the server room or use WOL (which I can't get to work anyway). It also saves some power not having the server on standby.

I use this one, but there are plenty of others available cheaply: http://www.byebyestandby.com/Starterkit.html

There's a third way, which I've implemented on my second server.

I set the BIOS power options so that "Restore on AC Power Loss" is set to "Power On".

I power the server down correctly using the web interface, then use an RF power switch to cut the power to the server. When I want to power it on again, I can do it with the RF remote. No need to enter the server room or use WOL (which I can't get to work anyway). It also saves some power not having the server on standby.

I use this one, but there are plenty of others available cheaply: http://www.byebyestandby.com/Starterkit.html

Simple and brilliant.  This should be in the wiki.

Thank you all for the helpful tips and comments! I love his forum!!  :)

Do you guys think it's worth spending the extra bucks for a 4224 (instead of a 4220)? Maybe a future version of unRAID can make use of 24 drives?

Or do you think the 4224 is overkill?

Chris

Personally, no I don't think it is worth it.  Even if unRAID supported 24 drives you would have to have a motherboard/controller cards that could also support that number.  You will pay a lot more for those 4 extra drive slots.  Do your storage needs exceed 38 TBs?  If not, then don't bother with the 4224.

Personally, no I don't think it is worth it.  Even if unRAID supported 24 drives you would have to have a motherboard/controller cards that could also support that number.  You will pay a lot more for those 4 extra drive slots.  Do your storage needs exceed 38 TBs?  If not, then don't bother with the 4224.

... I think you're right.

BTW, is there any 12 or 16 port PCIe SATA card that is compatible with unRAID? I couldn't find one. Actually it sems that there also is only one compatible 8 port PCIe card, the AOC-SASLP-MV8. Not many choices...

Chris

Not sure about the compatibility part of the 12 and 16 port PCie cards but the biggest issue is usually cost.

Those things can get pretty expensive, hence the popularity of the SASLP cards. If you do need more ports usually a slightly more expensive motherboard with 6 onboard SATA and 2 PCIe x4 slots will allow 2 of those SASLP cards giving you 22 ports.

Add a 2 port into a PCIe or PCI and then you have 24, the max a norco 4224 will fit.

Much cheaper than some of those 12 and 16 port cards.

Josh

Do you guys think it's worth spending the extra bucks for a 4224 (instead of a 4220)? Maybe a future version of unRAID can make use of 24 drives?

Or do you think the 4224 is overkill?

It depends - do you need a case right now or you can wait a month or two.

The difference in MSRP is only $40 between them and 4220 has been down to $280 with free shipping so at least in theory 4224 can be discounted down to $320 and maybe even more.

Now the 4224 is a new and the demand is strong but it will slow down at some point. If Norco is manufacturing more 4224 than 4220 then at some time in the future (perhaps after the holidays) they may end up with extra stock and will have to discount it a big time.

Just wait and buy at that time.  :-X

And I wish Norco will come with an extra SKU without these loud fans in the middle so the price can go even lower since many of the potential buyers will have to change them anyway.

... I just bought a used Lian Li PC-A17B on ebay. I couldn't resist, it was quite cheap. I got it for about 60€. I like the simplicity of that design. Unfortunately, this case it is not sold anymore.

The 'case question' is answered herewith. My first unRAID server will max out at 15 drives, I brought reason to bear.

I guess the corsair 650HX or 750HX will be a good choice for a reliable PSU?

Cheers,

Chris

Do you want to run 15 7200 rpm drives or 15 green drives, or a mixture of both? 

If you want to run all green drives, the Corsair 500W will suffice.

For all 7200 rpm drives, go for the Corsair 550W.

I know you aren't in the US, so those links are just for reference.

The 650W and 750W are generally overkill.  The 650 is a good choice for a 20 drive build, and it is the most you should ever need for an unRAID server.

Do you want to run 15 7200 rpm drives or 15 green drives, or a mixture of both?  

If you want to run all green drives, the Corsair 500W will suffice.

For all 7200 rpm drives, go for the Corsair 550W.

I know you aren't in the US, so those links are just for reference.

The 650W and 750W are generally overkill.

I was considering the 650HX since it is the smallest ('watt wise') PSU thas has 12V single rail design and the modular cable concept. The 620HX and 520HX also have the cable management, but are both 3 rail PSUs. the PSUs you are recommending don't have the modular cables. Makes it a bit messy in the case.

The only thing that still frightens me a bit are the 5in3 drive cages. Hopefully the drives don't get to hot...

Chris

Archived