[Support] ich777 - Application Dockers

ich777

On 9/16/2024 at 6:36 PM, ich777 said:

Just a heads up if a noVNC container gives an error when connection after today's container update, to fix that:

• Clear your browser cache

or

• Force reload the site (here are nearly all methods how to force refresh)

Thanks @ich777, just came here to see if anyone had a solution.

Should have thought of that really!

Cheers, as always. You're a legend!

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, TallMan206 said:

The docker runs with privileged mode.

Why? This is bad, not only bad, really bad!

Please disable this immediately. If you enable this the container has basically full control over the host, this switch is not there to solve issues/problems you have with containers, I hope you didn't enable this on any other container...

17 minutes ago, TallMan206 said:

Cron from luckybackup does not work.

How do you know it is not working? Did you at least run the job one time manually?

The cron functionality is working for many people, however there is a timezone issue for some people where they have to add a few hours that it actually runs at the right time but I wasn't able to reproduce this on my system.

Please also note that you will only have the log after the job ran and you restarted the container.

15 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Why? This is bad, not only bad, really bad!

Please disable this immediately. If you enable this the container has basically full control over the host, this switch is not there to solve issues/problems you have with containers, I hope you didn't enable this on any other container...

How do you know it is not working? Did you at least run the job one time manually?

The cron functionality is working for many people, however there is a timezone issue for some people where they have to add a few hours that it actually runs at the right time but I wasn't able to reproduce this on my system.

Please also note that you will only have the log after the job ran and you restarted the container.

Hi I just privileged mode to find that rsa-key within the luckybackup container, which was not visible before that. 

The jobs work perfectly manually, and the I tested a lot with the cron to see if they start, but it does not. The time seems to be good inside the docker.

11 minutes ago, TallMan206 said:

The jobs work perfectly manually, and the I tested a lot with the cron to see if they start, but it does not. The time seems to be good inside the docker.

This has nothing to do with the time in general in the container.

Can you please post a screenshot how you've set up the cron job?

Did you also read that in the description from the container:

grafik.png.df4dd990d2cb46065ab26b4b1e0c93be.png

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, ich777 said:

This has nothing to do with the time in general in the container.

Can you please post a screenshot how you've set up the cron job?

Did you also read that in the description from the container:

grafik.png.df4dd990d2cb46065ab26b4b1e0c93be.png

Yes, console mode is on. The script should have ran last night, but the log shows the last run was the 12th of september (manual run). Today I tested the cron with the day on Wednesday, and setting a time for 5 minutes later then the current time. Waiting for the script to start, but nothing happens.

Privileged mode removed!

image.png.1bc495998afaea7bd94f648a0876db1d.png

image.thumb.png.7b76dbd81fa9a984f09d1d31d9a1bc44.png

Here a manual run:

image.png.8f049ac9aa1d86c1839dda397cd970a4.png

Edited by TallMan206
1 hour ago, TallMan206 said:

The script should have ran last night, but the log shows the last run was the 12th of september (manual run).

As I pointed out above here:

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

and in the meantime also @alturismo pointed this out, the log is only updated after you restart the container.

1 hour ago, TallMan206 said:

Yes, console mode is on. The script should have ran last night, but the log shows the last run was the 12th of september (manual run). Today I tested the cron with the day on Wednesday, and setting a time for 5 minutes later then the current time. Waiting for the script to start, but nothing happens.

The timezone in LB has issues. 

When I first tried using it 6 months or so ago, I had to set the time for the backup to compensate for the timezone offset. For me, that's 6 hours (EST vs CET). So, I'd set it for 11pm to get it to run at 6am. Everything in LB really wants to force  or translate to CET. So you might want to test to see if the cron works if you compensate for your offset.

Now, after ditching it and setting it up again a month ago, I can now get it to run at the proper time for me without compensating, but the logs will still say the CET equivalent. So, I have it set to run at 6am EST, it'll say it ran at 12pm CET in the logs, but on the interface it'll say 12pm EST - so it mixes the hour of CET, but still marks it as EST. But, it DOES run when I want it to - matching the time in the cron setting.

I don't even bother looking in LuckyBackup interface for the log. I just check the log files.

So, how my setup probably differs from yours is that back the first time I was setting it up, I ended up adding a .profile file in the LB config folder which just contains this:

export TZ=America/New_York

Also, make sure to set the TZ env variable in your unRAID template.

LuckyBackup is very nice, but yeah, the timezone stuff gets a bit fussy.

Edited by Mattaton
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Mattaton said:

Also, make sure to set the TZ env variable in your unRAID template.

Please look at your docker run command, on Unraid it is not necessary to add the TZ variable because that is added automatically.

I didn't have the TZ variable in my template but it gets added automatically, that because Unraid adds this variable no matter what (the variable is actually pulled from the timezone that you've set in Settings -> Time in Unraid) :
grafik.png.882e74ffdc616e540e2f665868e9fb83.png

I think I already pointed that out IIRC.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ich777 said:

Please look at your docker run command, on Unraid it is not necessary to add the TZ variable because that is added automatically.

I didn't have the TZ variable in my template but it gets added automatically, that because Unraid adds this variable no matter what (the variable is actually pulled from the timezone that you've set in Settings -> Time in Unraid) :
grafik.png.882e74ffdc616e540e2f665868e9fb83.png

I think I already pointed that out IIRC.

Gotcha. You're right. I end up seeing it twice in the docker run.

I was just pointing out the only two places I have "set" a timezone for LB. But yeah, setting the TZ env is not necessary in unRAID.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Mattaton said:

I was just pointing out the only two places I have "set" a timezone for LB. But yeah, setting the TZ env is not necessary in unRAID.

Sure but I don't want to cause confusion and I want to clear things up...

38 minutes ago, Mattaton said:

So, how my setup probably differs from yours is that back the first time I was setting it up, I ended up adding a .profile file in the LB config folder which just contains this:

After thinking again about this, this too shouldn't be necessary since the TZ variable that Unraid passes through is globally available in the container.

Just issue 'env' in the container console and you should see that this variable is there without modifying anything.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Sure but I don't want to cause confusion and I want to clear things up...

After thinking again about this, this too shouldn't be necessary since the TZ variable that Unraid passes through is globally available in the container.

Just issue 'env' in the container console and you should see that this variable is there without modifying anything.

Totally agree that confusion is bad! You're right, setting the TZ env manually is redundant. I took it out of the template. 🙂 

I don't know. And I mean that, I truly don't know.

All I do know is I've had a world of trouble with timezones in LB. I feel like it's working now and it's like a house of cards that I don't want to breathe too hard on because it might stop working again. I won't rehash it all again since you have heard it before.

I know it SHOULD work with just the TZ that unRAID puts in, but it didn't and still has CET sprinkled here and there. I can check the timezone of the container, and it's correct. But still, the logs and interface both have CET offsets. I'm just glad my cron runs at the correct time. I can deal with logs being wrong. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

But I assume only after you've restarted the container in the GUI correct?

I was too early. It does not work yet. The cron does not run at the set time. I tried with a single folder backup, but it does not run. It is on console mode.

When I type DATE in the docker terminal: Wed 18 Sep 2024 03:14:09 PM CEST

When I setup the cron:

image.png.a290543a01c44926c9e4272c3a9180fb.png

Could it be that I should enter 03:20? Or is that automatically AM then?

Edited by TallMan206
6 minutes ago, TallMan206 said:

Could it be that I should enter 03:20? Or is that automatically AM then?

15:20 is 3:20PM

However as often pointed out, it is possible that even if the container displays the right time that the cron job doesn't run at that time, please try to set it to a fixed time and maybe wait for a few hours and see if you got a offset of a few hours and if the job does run.

Maybe try to set it to 16:00 and check back if it did indeed run tomorrow.

As said, I couldn't reproduce this behavior on my server yet.

...and please answer the question that I asked above, how do you check if the job is or was running? Do you check the logs, do you restart the container, do you look at the files...?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, ich777 said:

15:20 is 3:20PM

However as often pointed out, it is possible that even if the container displays the right time that the cron job doesn't run at that time, please try to set it to a fixed time and maybe wait for a few hours and see if you got a offset of a few hours and if the job does run.

Maybe try to set it to 16:00 and check back if it did indeed run tomorrow.

As said, I couldn't reproduce this behavior on my server yet.

...and please answer the question that I asked above, how do you check if the job is or was running? Do you check the logs, do you restart the container, do you look at the files...?

The logs says it's working, I can see the files on my backupserver, and everything is working fine. Thanks for all the help. 

The issue: My backupserver starts up on Tuesdays at 23:50. The LB cron is suppose to run at 00:00. This is already Wednesday ofcourse, not Tuesday. I had it on Tuesday. Stupid, stupid, stupid. My mistake. I'm happy it has been resolved. 

Thanks all for the help, especially @ich777

• Like 2