newznab + unRAID integration?

Just polling the community to inquire whether anyone is successfully running newznab on their unRAID server. The install reqs for newznab are rather extensive:

pre-reqs
PHP
	php version 5.3 or higher
	sessions enabled
	memory limit at 256MB or more
	minimum execution time of 60+ seconds
	make sure you update the php.ini for both web and cli
	OpenSSL (if connecting to ssl usenet provider)
	php register_globals off

GD Imaging Library w/PHP integration

PEAR

MySQL
	max_allowed_packet=12582912
	timezone set to php's

Apache
	script timeout of at least 60 seconds
	mod_rewrite enabled
	.htaccess allow override on

unRAID-web installs php 5.2.8 I believe.

Lighttpd uses different rewrite rules to apache (default setup) someone contributed most of the lighttpd rules, which can be found:

http://code.google.com/p/newznab/source/browse/trunk/misc/urlrewriting/lighttpd.txt

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 years later...

well so far its been pretty easy - this is what I did.

Installed Unbuntu via Parallells VM - I have V7 for Mac and its a simple one click install pretty much. Once installed updated it.

Downloaded the guide for newznab - some of the details our out of date in the guide but its straight forward to work out if you have a basic understanding of linux and a sprinkling of common sense.

Setup newznab. There are a few quirks which I ran across, but mainly I'd advise to purchase newznab+, its like $16 and has the extra features you'll need, in particular all the regex expressions. Without these, newznab won't create any releases.

So far its downloading and creating the nzb index which looks like it'll take an age. After that though it shouldn't take anyway near as long. The only bummer I've come across is although I have it setup to send files to sabnzbd, it won't. I think its because there is not option in sabnzbd to add an a custom indexing site like you can with Sickbeard. That being said, I can still add the sites RSS feed to Sab as well as adding individual nzb's that I've downloaded from newznab.

We'll see how it goes I guess. All this because those in control can't figure out a way to offer consumers a a'la cart tv system.

looks like torrents are the way to go now

i'll never go back to torrents... too unsafe... several of my friends got a warning with a cease-and-desist order (not sure, if that's the correct english term...). they had to pay several hundred euro...

Ended up using a proxy to use torrents with, it's a bit slower but safer. Torguard.net had a special during black friday, i think the price was 50% off. Been using it a short while now and it seems to be decent. Your isp only sees you are downloading something but not what or from where.

Very interested in a newznab install as well. I had a feeling nzbmatrix was a ticking time bomb because it seriously violated the first rule of usenet... But not this quick.

How much bandwidth, drive space, RAM, CPU does it take when it's actually up and running?

Id love to get a unraid community nzb indexer up and running, but we are a public forum. sooo.. do we go somewhere else to discuss setting this up? Im sure someone has a box on a good connection, and we could arrange to split the bandwidth/data centre fees. We'd also need to establish a minimum list of groups to index to get the content you want.

Thoughts?

Very interested in a newznab install as well. I had a feeling nzbmatrix was a ticking time bomb because it seriously violated the first rule of usenet... But not this quick.

How much bandwidth, drive space, RAM, CPU does it take when it's actually up and running?

Id love to get a unraid community nzb indexer up and running, but we are a public forum. sooo.. do we go somewhere else to discuss setting this up? Im sure someone has a box on a good connection, and we could arrange to split the bandwidth/data centre fees. We'd also need to establish a minimum list of groups to index to get the content you want.

Thoughts?

No idea, I'm running it on a Mac Pro 6 core (12) with 24Gb of ram :)

Not interested in a community indexer for obvious reasons, but would be happy to join forces so we could help each other install it and get it setup the way we want.

Thoughts?

how to... is out there before matrix went down http://www.howtogeek.com/120285/how-to-build-your-own-usenet-indexer/ personally i'd like to see a plugin for us :) before doing this

Personally in the test install I didn't backfill as I was more interested in New content vs old. I can always do a header search for anything older.

As for breaking the #1 rule of Usenet, nzbs crossed a line that put newsgroups in the crosshairs. It made it easy for the masses.

The regexes are a must so if you go for it paying for plus is really the only option unless you want to write your own.

Last night, I created a VirtualBox of Unbuntu & installed newznab via the instructions from howtogeek (same link posted but Bigmonty). The admin & home pages of it display... have adjusted a few settings, added a few newsgroups, still trying to get it to populate (under newznab/misc/update_scripts, I have run backfill.php, update_binaries.php & update_releases.php)... it runs for a while with backfill & update_binaries, but then update_releases goes pretty quick saying no releases found.

Seems I have missed a step somewhere (maybe more than one). Will play more with it later.

For those running VMware or VirtualBox, the instructions for Ubuntu are pretty good to get you started.

Last night, I created a VirtualBox of Unbuntu & installed newznab via the instructions from howtogeek (same link posted but Bigmonty). The admin & home pages of it display... have adjusted a few settings, added a few newsgroups, still trying to get it to populate (under newznab/misc/update_scripts, I have run backfill.php, update_binaries.php & update_releases.php)... it runs for a while with backfill & update_binaries, but then update_releases goes pretty quick saying no releases found.

Seems I have missed a step somewhere (maybe more than one). Will play more with it later.

For those running VMware or VirtualBox, the instructions for Ubuntu are pretty good to get you started.

Thank you for the note - I was desperately trying to avoid this approach for simplicity... at the end of the day it is a relatively straightforward PHP based application that shouldn't need a specific Ubuntu (or other OS). 

I had the same issue when I was playing around with it last night on my OSX machine.  The problem is the regex's... they are critical for getting the matching algorithm working... whilst they are user definable, if you buy (for $15) the "Pro" version, it automatically pulls down the relevant and most recent working regex's.  Then when you run the update_releases.php, it works.

It is fairly straightforward for unraid as well. I'll write up the steps tonight if I get the chance. I am running a cache drive and it will be needed, the write performance hit from using an array drive would most likely make this painfully slow and without a good processor would be even worse.

Oh wow... that would be fantastic - if you can give me the broad-brushstrokes, I will go through it tonight and spend the time to document the detailed step-by-step walkthrough (so you don't have to!)  I'm semi-linux savvy, but by no means expert!

When someone writes up the steps, it would be good to know what cpu you guys recommend.

I use Intel G530.. I wonder if it's time to upgrade.....

If it's being kept for personal use, I doubt the processor has much impact.  Know that the database file gets pretty big, so think you'd be better spending the money on memory/ larger HDD.

If it's being kept for personal use, I doubt the processor has much impact.  Know that the database file gets pretty big, so think you'd be better spending the money on memory/ larger HDD.

Oh Okay. How big is pretty big?

I have a cache drive that i use it as a app drive.. only using 2GB out of 120GB. Should be enough, right?