VM Network Bridge Tutorial?

Ortoch

I am searching everywhere on the forums, youtube, and online to find a tutorial on how to get a VM network bridge working but I cant find it anywhere. If someone has a link please share but for now here is what I am trying to do and what I have done so far maybe someone can help.

I am trying to get a virtual NAS program to run inside unraid so I can copy data from it to unraid before deleting its partitions and then giving the rest of the disks to unraid. I have to do this because its all inside one chasis.

The issue I am running into is that when I get the NAS program VM up and running inside unraid it doesnt see a network interface and the router is not pingable. I have attached screenshots of my various unraid screens but any tips would be appreciated on what I am doing wrong.

nas4free settings.JPG

network settings eth0.JPG

vm settings.JPG

21 minutes ago, Ortoch said:

so I can copy data from it to unraid before deleting its partitions and then giving the rest of the disks to unraid.

Is this data on separate disk(s) from those assigned to the array?  If this is the case, why not use the  Unassigned Devices   plugin to mount the disks and copy the contents to the array?

The current array is running nas4free on bare metal and I am trying to convert it to unraid but unraid does not recognize ZFS formatting. Thats why I need to boot the device to unraid with all the spare disks and then load the VM version of nas4free up so I can have it mount the original disks and then copy the data into unraid. 

Basically I need a way to see into the unraid disk pool while simultaniously seeing into the nas4free disk pool so I can copy from one to the other at the file level.

3 minutes ago, Ortoch said:

are you saying you have used this plugin to read from zfs formatted raids? The plugin page you linked specifically says image.png.ffc4687fb19830bd8348b65df9193d33.png

but if you know it works to allow you to read disks as though they were part of the array I'll try it

No - the purpose of the plugin is to allow you to access drives that are NOT part of the array on an Unraid system.   It can be used to facilitate copying data off ZFS formatted drives to an Unraid array.

A couple of things. i see in the vm template you are using br1 as the brigde try br0

If that doesnt work then i  am wondering if the vm you have created doent recognise the virtio nic type that is used in a vm by defualt.

try editing the vm xml. goto the template and toggle to xml view in the top right and change the follwing. You will see in the xml something that looks like this

<interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='00:00:00:00:00:00'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

this line here is the nic type (virtio here)

<model type='virtio'/>

34 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Is this data on separate disk(s) from those assigned to the array?  If this is the case, why not use the  Unassigned Devices   plugin to mount the disks and copy the contents to the array?

Unassigned devices doesnt seem to recognize the zfs formatted disks and even if it could I'm not sure it could recompile the pool correctly but thanks for the tip I did try it and it looks like all the non zfs formatted disks are available for me to mount.

13 minutes ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

opps pressed post by mistake . Anyway carrying on from above. Change it to

<model type='e1000-82545em'/>

This is an emulated intel nic. That then may work in the nas vm

took down the VM and changed it to br0 no change
then i edited the xml to the emulated NIC and still no change

If I go into the shell for the nas OS shouldnt I see a NIC of some sort? All I see is this
image.png.920ca4849b4aa006c371600ca0a31354.png