Unraid Forum 100K Giveaway

I personally love how much freedom Unraid has given me; as well as how much I've been able to lean with the help of the community!

I would love to continue to see further user experience improvements that help laymen like myself use more and more complex features.

My favorite part of UnRAID is probably the ease of use and complete feeling it has - you can access everything, from docker instances to VMs to system stats to a terminal, with ease. In addition, the OS is always being updated yet feels like a good, polished system. A close second would be the community of UnRAID - I've never posted here as I prefer to scavenge forums until I find an answer, and the community here pretty much always has an answer to my question, which is awesome.

In terms of a feature I'd like to see - perhaps a per-task CPU usage feature. top in terminal kind of works, but it'd be nice to see which docker instances/VMs are using which CPU cores and at what utilization in a more informative and easily accessible way.

Thanks for the giveaway and the awesome OS!

After 8 years of Synology I'm really considering unraid. I haven't had time to build the new server yet and trial test unraid unfortunately. But I'm really liking the idea of everything being in a docker container because of the low maintenance level. Plus a large and active community that can help out if necessary.

Like I said; I haven't tested unraid yet, so commenting on something that's missing is a bit hard. My real 'negative' thoughts about unraid is the pricing. Where alternatives are mostly free of charge, for a person on a budget, that's the real drawback. Basic wouldn't cut it, so that's free vs $89. But I'm going to try it and give it a try end of this month, really hope it's worth it.

There are many features I like about Unraid, if I have to pick one, that would be flexibility, it allows to use different size disks in the same array, either as parity or data disks.

The biggest thing I would like to see is for Unraid to support multiple different small arrays on the same server. This would provide better data segmentation and can support better read speed (mirroring array) or redundancy (small disks group needs to be spinning for an array rebuild)

Unraid has allowed me the freedom to have all of the little servers I need in my home network to hack away at my little projects. 

I’d love to see a better base OS that allows me to have a more natural Linux experience. I’ve had to hack together solutions to bring my favorite shell, editor, and tools. But it still isn’t quite like a lite Linux experience that I’m used to. 

either way, I love unraid!

Edited by morfii

Docker management is one of my favorite things. Saves so much time and effort. Love it!
Also that it's an OS that does everything. I threw out two physical HPE Microservers, two NASes and one Intel NUC and replaced it with my UNRAID machine. 
Not only do i save space and electric bill. I have one place to manage everything. 

In 2020, i'd love to see snapshots for VMs and dockers. 

My favorite thing about unRaid is its ease of use. After working all day, the last thing I want is to spend time on is performing maintenance on my internal network if its not needed. unRaid provides me with a powerful suite of tools to meet my home network needs without all the hassle of constantly needing attention.

I would love to see a simplified custom Docker creation wizard that allows non-unRaid specific containers to be migrated over to unRaid easily.

one thing I love:

the community support! Through reading forum posts and community efforts all the problems I've come across so far have been solved

one thing I'd love to see in 2020:

full SSD array support would be great, and the ability to have multiple arrays, eg large HDD array with SSD cache and small SSD array with NVME cache

All my needs have been filled by unraid though, at the moment no glaring features missing for my use case

After using esxi, proxmox, freenas, openmediavault, unraid looks like a keeper. The specs of my server aren't that high so I'm very happy with the way the dockers run!

A way to reach mij unraid server from the outside without using e vpn connection would be great!

Thank you for the oppurtunity to post my thoughts.

One thing I like most about Unraid is the reproducible setup with ease.  Even from an experienced Linux sysadmin, I admire the simplicity and time saving.

One thing I would like to see added to the OS in 2020 would be a web based tool to help migrate data from other sources using existing protocols.  I have become lazy recently ;) 

Edited by bkwq

Best thing is how easy it makes everything for a "power user". Storage, VMs, and so many other tools all in the same place. Yes you could create a VM farm and have a nas vm, but with storage as the bottom layer it is faster and easier to work on. And to add a drive to the array is not this whole rebuilding multi layered RAID systems, but some of that was bad planning on my part (my setup was worse than hers on the iJustine/LTT video where she got her server).

An interesting add would be "multilayered cache", for lack of a better term. A few forms of use that I can think of are

• more of a cache level system. you have ssd cache pool and nvme cache pool and either diff shares have diff pools or some sort of ML/AI predicts what files you'll want soon so it moves them to the ssd cache and then to the nvme when you are using them (making assumptions about how the mover actually moves files as i have not really researched it)
  • archive/backup/hdd based. For a large storage volume this would almost be more of a multi server setup, so imagine a small to medium sized setup for this. You have your ssd/cache pool acting as it normally does, your main drive array (fast HDDs, say 10tb size or smaller), and then slower drives or larger ones (like the upcoming 20+tb drives). Files that have not been touched in a long time get moved to the slow/archive section to free up faster disk space for the current files.

That idea is bordering on an uncomplicated optimization system...but maybe not.