Windows issues with unRAID

RobJ

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

I have a weird unraid SMB problem, I think it's related to ipv6 but unsure.

Let's say my server name is unraid. If I ping unraid, it answer an ipv6. If I ping with -4 I get the ipv4. In Local Master plugin, it says unraid is the local master browser. In PiHole, I have a entry for unraid and unraid.duckdns.org pointing to it's internal and a cname for unraid => unraid.duckdns.org and unraid.unraid.duckdns.org => unraid.duckdns.org.

All ping work properly (even ipv6 although I don't route anything in pfsense).

Now, sometime, I can access my samba share using \\unraid. But sometime, this doesn't work and I must use \\unraid.duckdns.org even if both show same ip. I tried rebooting, trying from another computer, checking credential (it's the same as my windows account thus it never ask for user/pass). I'm unsure why it stop using the smbios name and then it force me to use the fqdn.

Thank you

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2020 at 11:23 AM, UnBeastRaid said:

This information is GOLD:

1. Open the registry editor and go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

2. Double-click on AllowInsecureGuestAuth

3. Under "Value data:", change it from 0 to 1 

Helped me solve a two week issue trying to access my network shares.

Thank you

Tried this. Could not find the 'AllowInsecureGuestAuth:

Capture.JPG

8 hours ago, B Train said:

Tried this. Could not find the 'AllowInsecureGuestAuth:

Might I suggest that you consider not trying to turn off  SMB security settings.  Instead, setup Unraid and your Windows computers in a secure manner.  It is a bit of a hassle to do the first time but it should only be a one time event.  Basically, what you are trying to do is to run SMB using security features that might have been satisfactory for 2010.  MS occasionally  updates SMB security and its settings in its Monthly updates and these updates can break systems that try to defeat them.

See here for how to do this:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/

16 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Might I suggest that you consider not trying to turn off  SMB security settings.  Instead, setup Unraid and your Windows computers in a secure manner.  It is a bit of a hassle to do the first time but it should only be a one time event.  Basically, what you are trying to do is to run SMB using security features that might have been satisfactory for 2010.  MS occasionally  updates SMB security and its settings in its Monthly updates and these updates can break systems that try to defeat them.

See here for how to do this:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/

Thanks for responding.

I have tried everything on your forum for the last two weeks.

I got UnRaid with the impression that it was the most user friendly program for a 'NAS'.

Now I am 60hrs deep into this frustrating rabbit hole and I have no idea where I am going.

I have read the sticky and followed the instruction on my two PCs and laptop to no avail.

I am not a computer savvy guy and I cannot even make heads or tails about what is 'SAMBA', '110580', Windows Versions, Registry edits plus all the unraid management mentioned out there.

This product is not even remotely user friendly for those using Windows 10 (is that not like 99% of all computer users in the world?). Do I need to be an advanced IT professional to use this stuff? What is your target demographic even?

At this point I am trying to figure out if learning to use Ubuntu might yield better results and try to access the Unraid server from there. Any solutions besides using Windows 10 + Unraid are very welcome. I am honestly tired of trying to make this work.

Edit: The thread that you are referring me to literally leads me to a PDF that leads me to the same problem I posted about. After following the PDF I am back to the same problem: I cannot double-click on AllowInsecureGuestAuth because it does not exist.

What you are suggesting is 'not trying to turn off  SMB security settings'. Does that mean following 'Case 2' or 'Case 3' on pg16 of the paper attached on the thread?

Edited by B Train
On 10/25/2020 at 11:47 AM, cbr600ds2 said:

I don't have the setting AllowInnsecureGuestAuth.   It won't break if I manually add it in or... I don't want to change to much because it works fine from my laptop.  I just want to be able to do stuff on my new desktop.  Is it because this version of Windows isn't registered (yet?)   

Feedback for those who cannot find ' AllowInnsecureGuestAuth':

You will only find this setting on Windows 10 Pro.

I have no idea how to make it this setting appear or work on Windows 10 Home.

• 6 months later...

I have this problem every time I reinstall Windows, despite having automated "fixes" like adding the registry entry. What would be REALLY useful would be script to create that Network Neighborhood and do the other fixes. So a Windows 10/11 user can just run it....

I've done everything except that so far and nothing works... so Network Neighborhood time for me now.