Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

I have a bunch of drives in a ZFS pool that i have flagged as 'passed through' - I added two SSDs to my system to integrate into the ZFS pool, however the 'passed through' option isn't available for them via the edit page. The SSDs have a different icon, so not sure if UD identified them as something that can't be passed through?

No idea what debug info is needed/available :)

10 minutes ago, dcoulson said:

I have a bunch of drives in a ZFS pool that i have flagged as 'passed through' - I added two SSDs to my system to integrate into the ZFS pool, however the 'passed through' option isn't available for them via the edit page. The SSDs have a different icon, so not sure if UD identified them as something that can't be passed through?

Show a screen shot of the UD Page.  The "Passed Through" switch is only available when the disk is not mounted.

Hi all

I would really love some help, or if anyone can help point me in the right direction.

I have moved my plex server to my longstanding unraid srever but the media is still stored on another server (truenas). There are no problems accessing the media, transcoding etc but I've run into a dfs problem.

I wanted to expand my media collection at the share level and keep it in a single share so set up a dfs root on the truenas server so that I now have a movies2 dfs symlink that points to a folder that is contained in another share. I know I could just add the additional share location as a mount point in the docker of plex but it annoys me that i cannot and the behavior is really weird.

Using the file manager in unraid I can see the originial share (\\truenas\Media) with the dfs folder (\\truenas\Media\moves2) under it but cannot access inside it. I can even go to the actual share (\\truenas\media2) and see inside it and have full permissions when accessing the share directly from unraid. What is doing my head in is that it must be at least partially set up correctly on the truenas server as I can access the DFS share from a windows or mac machine with full access (authenticating as the same user as on unraid when creating the access to the remote share) but I cannot access it on unraid. If I try to access the folder via the unraid web gui it just shows as empty. If I ssh or terminal into unraid and navigate on the cli to the dfs share it will actually close and crash when trying to enter the dfs share.  

The permissions clearly indicate a possible problem that unraid has with the share but windows and mac do not. Unraid shows drwx--x--x on the dfs share. The direct share of the very same folder has drwxrwxrwx though?

Does anyone have any ideas as to why unraid doesn't appear to like the dfs share (but can write into the share that the dfs symbolic link actually points to? I have given full access at the file level on the truenas sahre and file level.

Cheers

image.thumb.png.d5101eefcd81ae769a0539e21c0e29aa.pngimage.thumb.png.5f0722425bdbcc2052560d77e3375eac.png

1 hour ago, dcoulson said:

I am having this same issue. I had to replace a drive in one of my zpools and realized all the drives I have setup for ZFS and passed through the button is now missing. Interestingly enough the new replacement drive has the button option for "passed through" but it is missing from all the others. I only realized this when I tried to take the failing drive out of "passed through" mode.

Also, I have another Unraid server running multiple ZFS pools I just checked but the "passed through" button seems to be there on all the drives of that server.

12 hours ago, qw3r7yju4n said:

I have an issue. I rebooted and now I cannot see the shares for the mounted disks. My containers can access the data I just cant view it from a SMB share. I have reinstalled the plugin. 

Go to Settings->Unassigned Devices and check your SMB Security settings.

8 hours ago, dlandon said:

Go to Settings->Unassigned Devices and check your SMB Security settings.

Thanks for getting back so quick. I did this. Enabled security for my user but nothing shows up. It was disabled.

I had disabled share from the main screen where you can mount and dismount.

EDIT - I fixed it. Thanks for the help!!!

Edited by qw3r7yju4n
2 hours ago, chuckthetekkie said:

Another issue I have is that Unraid tells me that I need to restart the computer to finish the UD installation every time I boot the server. I am assuming this is an error. 

It's not an error.  UD creates a tmpfs mount as protection against improper mapping of UD disks or remote shares to /mnt/disks/ or /mnt/remotes/ filling ram and crashing the system.  I suspect you have a docker container or VM mapping to /mnt/disks/ or /mnt/remotes/ that is causing a problem when UD is installed.  Set all your docker containers and VMs to not auto start and reboot.  The message should not say to reboot.

Then re-enable them one at a time and check your docker container and VM mappings.  Also check that you are not makeing any changes to /mnt/disks/ or /mnt/remotes.

Hello, I was sent from discord to here. I have a drive that has been in ud for a while now, while I've been emptying it, preparing to add to the array. Last night I stopped the array, took the disk from ud, and added it to the array. Started the array, and cleared the disk. 20 hours later, it says it passed with 0 errors. I move on to formatting the disk. after doing that, it says it is failed and it says unmountable: unsupported partition layout. Sys log has multple lines like 

Feb 22 08:05:06 Garfield ntfs-3g[3034]: Corrupt index block signature: vcn 0 inode 5

repeating. After coming home from work I tried to stop the array, and remove all partitions. It said success, but it is still showing the mount point as the same name, and the mount button is still greyed out. Here is what the logs said after that: https://0bin.net/paste/rY9ljgkX#zAIoBAEVTyooxoo8kQXCmZjlylymFMlzO5PQ3HuNt+3

I'm really unsure what's going on or what to do. This disk has been fine for the entire time I've used it before.

The disk is dev2 in the photo.

unraidhelp.jpg

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

It's not an error.  UD creates a tmpfs mount as protection against improper mapping of UD disks or remote shares to /mnt/disks/ or /mnt/remotes/ filling ram and crashing the system.  I suspect you have a docker container or VM mapping to /mnt/disks/ or /mnt/remotes/ that is causing a problem when UD is installed.  Set all your docker containers and VMs to not auto start and reboot.  The message should not say to reboot.

Then re-enable them one at a time and check your docker container and VM mappings.  Also check that you are not makeing any changes to /mnt/disks/ or /mnt/remotes.

I mount my ZFS volumes through /mnt/remotes/. 

I do have Docker containers with paths to the ZFS volumes that go through /mnt/remotes/.  I do not use a normal Unraid array, only ZFS with a few cache pools. 

5 hours ago, dlandon said:

Just as it is.

ok, so I have been unable to get diagnostics to finish. I kept getting chrome ran out of memory errors. I was about to copy the zip files over via terminal, when I decided to try a reboot. 

Kind of frustratingly, the reboot seems to have fixed all 🤦🏽‍♂️. I have the disk in ud with no partition listed, a selectable format button next to it. I hit format, select xfs, format passes. Added the disk to the array, and it started right up. 

I appreciate your help, sorry if I wasted your time.

8 hours ago, heihei1634 said:

Unassigned Devices add webdav mount function? Webdav is relatively fast, which can realize high-speed interconnection with other devices and increase the playability of the raid. This function is urgently needed now. I hope to join it as soon as possible. Thank you! Look forward to your reply!

There are no plans for webdav at this point.

I'm having an issue with an nvme drive where it is not mountable. I cleared this drive using UD, then formatted as XFS but it still shows unmountable. I checked that it doesn't have the "Passed-through" toggle switch enabled as I saw that caused this for someone else. Does anyone have any suggestions? image.thumb.png.ae30240dbee3fa34939a61106d11969f.png

Helllo!

Brand new computer (NUC12), brand new USB disk, brand new Unraid install and Unassigned Device installed and up-to-date.

It doesn't want to automount my NFS share on my Synology. It sees it, I can mount it manually by clicking the little orange "mount" button, but automount, naaaaa :(

I precise, automount is activated of course.

The same NFS Share was automounting on my former computer :(

Where can I check?

Thanks !

3 hours ago, Octalbush said:

I'm having an issue with an nvme drive where it is not mountable. I cleared this drive using UD, then formatted as XFS but it still shows unmountable. I checked that it doesn't have the "Passed-through" toggle switch enabled as I saw that caused this for someone else. Does anyone have any suggestions? image.thumb.png.ae30240dbee3fa34939a61106d11969f.png

Try reseating the nvme drive.

3 hours ago, Valiran said:

Helllo!

Brand new computer (NUC12), brand new USB disk, brand new Unraid install and Unassigned Device installed and up-to-date.

It doesn't want to automount my NFS share on my Synology. It sees it, I can mount it manually by clicking the little orange "mount" button, but automount, naaaaa :(

I precise, automount is activated of course.

The same NFS Share was automounting on my former computer :(

Where can I check?

Thanks !

Post diagnostics.