Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

11 hours ago, augot said:

I get these two values now (having finished my backups):

...the first of which tallies with the the Free column now reporting 252 GB available space.

Update UD and see if the disk stats are correct.

7 hours ago, dyno said:

The OOM errors are due to a qbittorrent bug that occurs when having multiple Qbittorrent webUI sessions open simultaneously on the same IP address.  I've already created a bug report on qbittorrent's github repo.

I went ahead and remove Cache Dirs entirely.  That has fixed the issue of WebUI lockups.  However, I still have a strange issue where a remote SMB share becomes unresponsive after being idle for a period of time (an hour or so).  It still requires me to restart the remote SMB server to fix the issue.  This is a fairly long-standing issue for me, fwiw.  It's occurred since at least Unraid 6.10.

Update UD and see if UD doesn't allow you to unmount the remote share that is offline.  If not, post a screen shot.

What is the benefit of storing containers or VMs on an unassigned device rather than in a standard pool. I saw this mentioned on the original post. It may have been answered before but there are many pages of posts in this thread.

2 hours ago, autoferrit said:

What is the benefit of storing containers or VMs on an unassigned device rather than in a standard pool. I saw this mentioned on the original post.

Looking at that it was written before pools existed in Unraid.

Hi all,

Been having this problem for a couple weeks now.  I missed a "1" when I tried to add a remote share using UD.  I'm trying to remove it from the UNRAID GUI and cannot. The GUI tries to remove, says it has been removed but then it's still there.

image.thumb.png.de77d2131e4ae5a3de8546e1e40c8bb1.png

I waited for the latest UD update to come down a couple days ago and installed it.  Still no joy.

things I have tried ...

- stopping array and try to remove the remote share

- Putty session  into UNRAID server and ensure that the remote share\folder was not in the remotes folder

I am running the most recent versions of dlandon UD & UD Plus ...

image.thumb.png.cb6cdc83b926b952cbcc7c3a607148b1.png

any suggestions much appreciated ... thanks,

E

On 6/2/2024 at 9:30 AM, E-ManN said:

ok ... from putty went to /boot/logs

found the the UD diag file.

copied to PC using winscp ....

here is the uploaded diag file.

thanks,

E

ud_diagnostics-20240602-101750.zip 61.64 kB · 1 download

Do the following:

• Edit "/flash/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/samba_mounts.cfg" and remove the two backslash characters.
  • Go to the UD page and click on the double arrows in the upper right.

You should be able now to mount the remote share or delete it.

UD should not accept a backslash character.  I'll have to take a look at it.

woo hoo ! Thanks a million dlandon.  All fixed! 

The name of my config file was a little different.

for those of you interested I documented the steps in more detail ...

ok ..

so I connected to my UNRAID server with winscp.

made a backup of samba_mount.cfg.  ... samba_config.cfg was not found, but this looks like the correct file ...

in winscp made a copy of (in the same folder)

/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/samba_mount.cfg

named it ...

/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/samba_mount.cfg.bak

image.png.588b938c85eb93166afed17b453d08a1.png

edited in winscp

/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/samba_mount.cfg

removed the two \ from the file.  

before ...

image.png.a405242dbd959b76928f794eac68a828.png

after ...

image.png.47d99c6f88b3fe806c7047faab895b6f.png

saved the file. opened the file again to verify that the changes stuck.

now onto this step ... "Go to the UD page and click on the double arrows in the upper right"

image.thumb.png.3d54d06e6fb1e1962b34b3b1c353e1bd.png

now I can mount or delete the remote share ...

image.thumb.png.5e2135ed993403093b0b584fc5fa17a8.png

thanks again for your help dlandon.  It was my badd using the back slashes.  Yes I'm a Windows guy. lol

thanks,

E

Posted (edited)

Hello unraiders,

I have noticed a strange problem with unassigned devices plugin with large number of drives. I have around 80-90 drives attached in a jbod connected to my unraid. Sometimes I need to unmount a drive and clear/format it. And when I press "Unmount" randomly it starts unmounting some of the other drives, too?! This happens very randomly. I'd say between 3 and 8 attempts it leads to this behaviour. I don't know if it's a bug or something else. Can you help me identify the reason for this?

Thanks!

tower-diagnostics-20240603-1633.zip

Edited by ToTo
1 hour ago, ToTo said:

Hello unraiders,

I have noticed a strange problem with unassigned devices plugin with large number of drives. I have around 80-90 drives attached in a jbod connected to my unraid. Sometimes I need to unmount a drive and clear/format it. And when I press "Unmount" randomly it starts unmounting some of the other drives, too?! This happens very randomly. I'd say between 3 and 8 attempts it leads to this behaviour. I don't know if it's a bug or something else. Can you help me identify the reason for this?

Thanks!

tower-diagnostics-20240603-1633.zip 797.77 kB · 1 download

You have some disk issues:

Jun  3 16:35:10 Tower kernel: sd 3:0:13:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
Jun  3 16:35:12 Tower kernel: sd 3:0:11:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
Jun  3 16:35:13 Tower kernel: sd 3:0:19:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
Jun  3 16:35:14 Tower kernel: sd 3:0:17:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
Jun  3 16:35:15 Tower kernel: sd 3:0:26:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
Jun  3 16:35:18 Tower kernel: sd 3:0:22:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
Jun  3 16:35:18 Tower kernel: sd 3:0:3:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
Jun  3 16:35:20 Tower kernel: sd 3:0:20:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
Jun  3 16:35:23 Tower kernel: sd 3:0:8:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
Jun  3 16:35:27 Tower kernel: sd 3:0:23:0: Power-on or device reset occurred

and

May 29 04:40:51 Tower kernel: sd 3:0:35:0: [sdbi] tag#5963 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=DRIVER_OK cmd_age=3s
May 29 04:40:51 Tower kernel: sd 3:0:35:0: [sdbi] tag#5963 Sense Key : 0x3 [current] [descriptor] 
May 29 04:40:51 Tower kernel: sd 3:0:35:0: [sdbi] tag#5963 ASC=0x11 ASCQ=0x0 
May 29 04:40:51 Tower kernel: sd 3:0:35:0: [sdbi] tag#5963 CDB: opcode=0x88 88 00 00 00 00 07 34 9c c3 e0 00 00 00 20 00 00
May 29 04:40:51 Tower kernel: critical medium error, dev sdbi, sector 30947460064 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x1000 phys_seg 4 prio class 2

There are pages and pages of this last set of errors.

Hello, I've got an issue with an external usb drive that can't be removed from Historical Devices. I've looked around at some other support threads, and i've tried removing and reinstalling all UD plugins and rebooting the array several times but it doesn't seem like I can remove the drive, any tips?

historical.PNG

17 minutes ago, montag said:

Hello, I've got an issue with an external usb drive that can't be removed from Historical Devices. I've looked around at some other support threads, and i've tried removing and reinstalling all UD plugins and rebooting the array several times but it doesn't seem like I can remove the drive, any tips?

historical.PNG

Go to a command line and type "ud_diagnostics" then post the /flash/logs/ud_diagnostics.zip file here.

10 minutes ago, montag said:

Edit the file /flash/plugins/unassigned.devices/unassigned.devices.cfg and remove this entry:

Glyph_StudioRAID_TB2-0__+__A@wCL_

Then go to the UD page and click on the double arrows icon in the upper right hand of the page.  This will remove the disk from the Historical Devices.

The issue is the disk serial number includes a '+' and '@' characters that cause issues in php.  I'm making a change to address this.

Hello,

I cannot seem to remove an invalid remote SMB share. I clicked on Remove and says it successful but it is still showing. I already rebooted my Unraid server and but it is still there.

image.png.217123b20523eb206185213804ff9219.png

I checked /mnt/remotes but it is not listed.

Any ideas how to remove this ?

Thank you.

7 hours ago, anobayown said:

Hello,

I cannot seem to remove an invalid remote SMB share. I clicked on Remove and says it successful but it is still showing. I already rebooted my Unraid server and but it is still there.

image.png.217123b20523eb206185213804ff9219.png

I checked /mnt/remotes but it is not listed.

Any ideas how to remove this ?

Thank you.

Go to a command prompt and type 'ud_diagnostics'.  Then post the /flash/logs/ud_diagnostics.zip file here.  There is probably an invalid character in the configuration preventing removal.  Once I see what is happening, I can prevent it in the future.  I'll also tell you how to remove it.

29 minutes ago, anobayown said:

I believe I have a fix for this in the next release of UD.  In the meantime edit the /flash/plugins/unassigned.devices/samba_mounts.cfg file and remove the backslashes from this entry:

[//\192.168.98.6PHOTOS/photos] => Array
        (
            [protocol] => SMB
            [ip] => \192.168.98.6PHOTOS
            [path] => photos

In the future, let UD find the server and try to use the server name so you don't have to enter the IP address.  It looks like you tried to enter the IP address as the server and missed something.

5 minutes ago, anobayown said:

I edited the samba_mounts.cfg but it does not take effect. I rebooted my server already.

Click on the double arrow icon on the UD webpage to refresh the configuration.  You can delete the remote share or possibly it will mount if it is setup correctly.

18 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Click on the double arrow icon on the UD webpage to refresh the configuration.  You can delete the remote share or possibly it will mount if it is setup correctly.

Thanks, that did it !