Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array


dlandon

5538 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

On 11/4/2020 at 2:54 PM, bland328 said:

/mnt/disks/nvme

On 11/4/2020 at 2:54 PM, bland328 said:

 /mnt/disk/nvme

So which is it? "disks" or "disk"?

 

/mnt/disks/nvme would be something Unassigned Devices would create. But it is possible that you accidentally specified /mnt/disk/nvme in a path somewhere such as docker mappings.

Link to post
  • Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New release of UD.  Changes: When changing the mount point (which is also the share name), the mount point is checked for a duplicate of a user share or another UD device.  Samba cannot handle

While I appreciate your interest in esthetics, there is more to consider than just 'aligning' disk drive mounts: This disk is mounted without a UD script, it is probably better to put it in th

<step on soap box> Keep in mind that the Unraid array disk configuration is static and doesn't change until it is stopped.  UD has to deal with hot plugged disks, devices being dynamically

Posted Images

I am still having issues where I can only mount a drive in UD once, if I unmount it and try to remount it, it fails.

 

This is the errors in the log from today:

Nov 14 13:07:13 NAS unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/mapper/Games-750gb'...
Nov 14 13:07:14 NAS emhttpd: shcmd (438): /usr/sbin/cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdt1 Games-750gb
Nov 14 13:07:16 NAS unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/mapper/Games-750gb' '/mnt/disks/Games-750gb'
Nov 14 13:07:16 NAS kernel: /dev/mapper/Games-750gb: Can't open blockdev
Nov 14 13:07:16 NAS unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/mapper/Games-750gb' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/Games-750gb: special device /dev/mapper/Games-750gb does not exist. 
Nov 14 13:07:16 NAS unassigned.devices: Partition 'Games-750gb' could not be mounted.
Nov 14 13:07:16 NAS unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdt'.

I mounted this drive, moved some stuff off it and then formatted it. When I try to remount it I get the above errors.

 

If I restart I am sure it will work, it normally does, just really inconvenient.

Link to post
7 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

I am still having issues where I can only mount a drive in UD once, if I unmount it and try to remount it, it fails.

 

This is the errors in the log from today:


Nov 14 13:07:13 NAS unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/mapper/Games-750gb'...
Nov 14 13:07:14 NAS emhttpd: shcmd (438): /usr/sbin/cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdt1 Games-750gb
Nov 14 13:07:16 NAS unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/mapper/Games-750gb' '/mnt/disks/Games-750gb'
Nov 14 13:07:16 NAS kernel: /dev/mapper/Games-750gb: Can't open blockdev
Nov 14 13:07:16 NAS unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/mapper/Games-750gb' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/Games-750gb: special device /dev/mapper/Games-750gb does not exist. 
Nov 14 13:07:16 NAS unassigned.devices: Partition 'Games-750gb' could not be mounted.
Nov 14 13:07:16 NAS unassigned.devices: Issue spin down timer for device '/dev/sdt'.

I mounted this drive, moved some stuff off it and then formatted it. When I try to remount it I get the above errors.

 

If I restart I am sure it will work, it normally does, just really inconvenient.

Post your diagnostics.

Link to post

I went ahead and restarted it, I also re-formatted the drive before mounting it just in case that caused an issue, there was a LOT going on with the server when I formatted it the first time and sure enough it worked this time around.

Edited by TexasUnraid
Link to post
9 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

I went ahead and restarted it, I also re-formatted the drive before mounting it just in case that caused an issue, there was a LOT going on with the server when I formatted it the first time and sure enough it worked this time around.

I saw a lot of preclear activity in the log.  That may have affected the format.

Link to post
Just now, dlandon said:

I saw a lot of preclear activity in the log.  That may have affected the format.

Yeah, as I am sure you saw one of my other drives is failing so having to play a game of musical hard drives to move the data around. There was a lot going on lol.

 

I do have similar issues maybe 30% of the time with other drives that I know are formatted and work correctly, with basically the same errors. I connect them every week for backups and sometimes they will just refund to mount until I reboot. Particularly if I unmount and remount them for some reason on the same day.

Link to post
Just now, TexasUnraid said:

Yeah, as I am sure you saw one of my other drives is failing so having to play a game of musical hard drives to move the data around. There was a lot going on lol.

 

I do have similar issues maybe 30% of the time with other drives that I know are formatted and work correctly, with basically the same errors. I connect them every week for backups and sometimes they will just refund to mount until I reboot. Particularly if I unmount and remount them for some reason on the same day.

Are they all encrypted?

Link to post
2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Are they all encrypted?

Yes, all my drives, array, pools and UD drives are encrypted BTRFS (except my appdata drive with is encrypted xfs).

 

BTRFS is also the only reason I knew this drive was failing, the drive itself did not start reporting errors until well after BTRFS detected them. It still just says 8 pending sectors.

Edited by TexasUnraid
Link to post

I have mount two SMB-Shares via Unassigned Devices to my unRAID. I copied the files from that share to my unRAID.

Now i want to remove that shares from unRAID.

In the GUI he "Unmount"-Button takes no effect. Also the "X" is not clickable.

Any ideas?

Link to post
7 minutes ago, saber1 said:

Great. Here it is.

Hope you find something.

saberaid-diagnostics-20201115-1959.zip 96.73 kB · 2 downloads

Looks like your remote server is off-line:

Nov 15 16:45:16 saberaid unassigned.devices: Unmounting Remote SMB/NFS Share '//SABERVAULT/SaberVault2'...
Nov 15 16:45:16 saberaid unassigned.devices: Unmounting '//SABERVAULT/SaberVault2'...
Nov 15 16:45:16 saberaid unassigned.devices: Unmount cmd: /sbin/umount -t cifs '//SABERVAULT/SaberVault2' 2>&1
Nov 15 16:45:26 saberaid unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/sbin/umount -t cifs '//SABERVAULT/SaberVault2' 2>&1) took longer than 10s!
Nov 15 16:45:26 saberaid unassigned.devices: Unmount of '//SABERVAULT/SaberVault2' failed. Error message: command timed out

If you turned off the remote server, turn it back on and then unmount and delete the remote shares.

Link to post
45 minutes ago, muwahhid said:

You are getting a permission denied error:

Nov 15 23:27:32 Muwahhid unassigned.devices: Mount of '//MUWAHHID-R-540/e' failed. Error message: 'mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg) '.

Several versions ago the passwords were encrypted and not stored in plain text.  Remove the remote shares and then recreate them.  They should then mount fine.

Edited by dlandon
Link to post

Hello,

 

i just wanted to mount a smb share wit UD and got the mount error(13) permission denied.

 

Different than your error advice it was the first time mounting anything beside using the Unraid way.

 

After following the ud add mount i checked the samba_mount.cfg and i see pass = "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" different than the real pass, but i think this is intentionally and the hashed password, or?

Link to post
30 minutes ago, Haegar333 said:

Hello,

 

i just wanted to mount a smb share wit UD and got the mount error(13) permission denied.

 

Different than your error advice it was the first time mounting anything beside using the Unraid way.

 

After following the ud add mount i checked the samba_mount.cfg and i see pass = "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" different than the real pass, but i think this is intentionally and the hashed password, or?

The password is encrypted.  Be careful of special characters in the credentials.  It would be best to stay from them.

Link to post
7 minutes ago, Haegar333 said:

I already tested with just upper case, lower case and numbers, not more.

 

It is a smb share on an openwrt router, with my windows machines it works.

 

 

Post diagnostics.  There is another issue.

Link to post

I'm not sure if anyone else has upgraded to 6.9.0 RC 35 with this installed, but it seems to create an issue for the web console (nginx).  When I upgraded to RC 35, the console wouldn't come up, and after some trial and error I determine that it was due to something in unassigned devices plugin (I don't have the plus installed if that helps narrow it down).  I could get the Web UI to start by restarting nginx, and waiting about 5 minutes.  I verified this by re-adding the unassigned devices plugin, and once again the problem showed up, remove the plugin and the problem goes away.    Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

 

Here is the link (hopefully this comes through) to the thread I started with my diagnostics.zip attached:  

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.