Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array


dlandon

Recommended Posts

On 7/27/2021 at 11:06 AM, dlandon said:

Click on the three gears icon under the 'Settings' column and turn off the 'Show Partitions' switch.  That will collapse the partition.

That solved it. Thanks so much!

Link to comment

Hello, 

 

I can't move/copy files in one specific folder from my mounted HDD in UD when using smb, looking at the log it gives:

 

Quote

ntfs_attr_pread error reading <FILENAME> at offset 0: 4096 <> -1: Permission denied

xxxx smbd[67867]: smb2_sendfile_send_data: sendfile failed for file <FILENAME> (Permission denied) for client [IP] Terminating

 

I have not made any changes on the server or any network configs.

Q - Any easy way to change permission on the HDD for the files?

Q - Other solutions?

 

EDIT - It's a big .zip file and I have tried turning of Norton temporary since windows tells me "error 0x8007003B" An unexpected network error occurred.

Edited by Digiboy
Link to comment

Having an issue w/ partitions on separate unassigned devices

In my case, all of the drives are mapped as logical volumes of raid 0 to the physical drive (DL360 G6) to be seen by Unraid.

TmvhIqv.png5NNLHYl.png

wXl2Jr9.png

It appears as the disk/by-id has distinct listings for the drives but the partitions always point to the /sde

2PGawYQ.png

Q: What is my route to having the two drives have their own partition / partition names

Edited by origon
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, origon said:

Having an issue w/ partitions on separate unassigned devices

In my case, all of the drives are mapped as logical volumes of raid 0 to the physical drive (DL360 G6) to be seen by Unraid.

TmvhIqv.png5NNLHYl.png

wXl2Jr9.png

It appears as the disk/by-id has distinct listings for the drives but the partitions always point to the /sde

2PGawYQ.png

Q: What is my route to having the two drives have their own partition / partition names

Click on the mount point ('Data') on one of the drives when the drive is unmounted and change the name.  You can't have two drives with the same mount point name.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Click on the mount point ('Data') on one of the drives when the drive is unmounted and change the name.  You can't have two drives with the same mount point name.

This changes the mount name for both partitions. While I can mount / unmount manually (always changing the name for the second one), it fails to work as auto-mount this way.

HgeLKP4.gif

 

Edit: It seems my solution is to just add one of the drives as a new pool of 1 and have it be managed that way.

Edited by origon
Link to comment
7 hours ago, origon said:

This changes the mount name for both partitions. While I can mount / unmount manually (always changing the name for the second one), it fails to work as auto-mount this way.

HgeLKP4.gif

 

Edit: It seems my solution is to just add one of the drives as a new pool of 1 and have it be managed that way.


The problem is that both drives are being reported with the same drive identification string whereas for correct operation UD needs them to be different (typically including the drive serial number).  This is not uncommon with some USB docks that do not pass the drive identification through to the host and it is best to avoid using such docks with Unraid if at all possible.

Link to comment

Sorry for the question if it's obvious, but is it possible to mount SMB shares with file permissions other than 0666?  I need executable permissions on certain files.  If not, I can simply mount them myself.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Squid said:

Sorry for the question if it's obvious, but is it possible to mount SMB shares with file permissions other than 0666?  I need executable permissions on certain files.  If not, I can simply mount them myself.

file_mode=0666 is hard coded in the mount of cifs devices.  Not really inclined to change it.

Link to comment

There is a bug with this plugin and the notifications for temperature not working.

See picture below:

image.thumb.png.e424c6627025ea99526eaaede27e507f.png

 

Notice how I set the warning temperatures to 54 and 55 degrees?  Well it doesnt matter, because at 45 degrees (the default), I get a warning.  This only happens with drives in the unassigned devices.  Any drives in the array where I changed the temperature threshold actually work with the changed values.

Link to comment
12 hours ago, 007craft said:

There is a bug with this plugin and the notifications for temperature not working.

See picture below:

image.thumb.png.e424c6627025ea99526eaaede27e507f.png

 

Notice how I set the warning temperatures to 54 and 55 degrees?  Well it doesnt matter, because at 45 degrees (the default), I get a warning.  This only happens with drives in the unassigned devices.  Any drives in the array where I changed the temperature threshold actually work with the changed values.

Fixed in 6.10.  Please re-check when it is released.

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, cjizzle said:

I pulled an XFS formatted drive from an Ubuntu machine and Unassigned Devices doesnt seem to recognize the format. Any ideas why?

No.  Not enough information.  Post a screen shot and diagnostics.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, dlandon said:

No.  Not enough information.  Post a screen shot and diagnostics.

 

Sorry was away from PC and though maybe something quick and silly was the solution.  Using a WD elements usb interface from a shucked drive.  Was able to format it in Unraid to XFS and currently copying files to it. Originally is was a blank xfs drive aside from a single folder called plots8 that was empty. Originally formatted it in Ubuntu 20.04. Sorry I have no diagnostics or screenshot of the original error.  All it showed under Unassigned Devices when I plugged it in was the Format button and that it was an unrecognized file system. Yes I do have the Unassigned Devices Plus add on as well.

I have 6 more of these drives that eventually I need to do the same thing with.  Would you please enlighten me as to where specifically to look for a log or any other info that may help?

Link to comment

I have also a similar problem with a client computer running Ubuntu 20.04:

Just formatted one of the HDDs in the Ubuntu client (FAT format) and after that created a folder "test-backup". I put one small file in the folder for testing the connection to unraid.

Within Ubuntu I shared the folder with full write/read permissions.

I also can see the shared of Unraid from the Ubuntu client.

 

But when I want to connect and mount this disk on the Unraid server as unassigned disk, it doesn't work...

All I get is this:

704249190_Unassigneddiskproblem.thumb.png.0fbf833fa0737ee642d0cb8e54703dac.png

 

The smb disk from Ubuntu is greyed out and obviously mounting is impossible...

What could be a reason ?

Originally I had the disk formatted in ext4 (native Ubuntu), then thought this format might be not supported and reformat in FAT, but still no success...

I have tried everything I could think of... (but I am at the beginning of the lerning curve...)

 

Thanks for advice.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, ullibelgie said:

The smb disk from Ubuntu is greyed out and obviously mounting is impossible...

What could be a reason ?

This is because the remote server is not responding to a ping.  UD pings the remote server to be sure it is on-line.  Be sure the Ubuntu server will respond to a ping.  It has nothing to do with the disk format.

Link to comment

Thank you for your quick answer dlandon

 

I tested  ping from Unraid terminal window with command:

"ping  Ip-adress-of-Ubuntu-client"

... and there is a response within less than 1msec

 

So it must be a different issue...

Are there other things to check - it must be something switched off, which prevents any communication other than ping...;-(

 

 

 

Link to comment
5 hours ago, ullibelgie said:

 

The smb disk from Ubuntu is greyed out and obviously mounting is impossible...

What could be a reason ?

Originally I had the disk formatted in ext4 (native Ubuntu), then thought this format might be not supported and reformat in FAT, but still no success...

I have tried everything I could think of... (but I am at the beginning of the lerning curve...)

 

Thanks for advice.

 

The smb password cannot be the same as the Ubuntu login password. The name can be the same though.

 

Assuming your Ubuntu username is ullibelgie type this in console (on your ubuntu machine) and it will prompt you to set the password (this does not affect your actual Ubuntu login credentials, only the smb shares):

 

sudo smbpasswd -U ullibelgie

 

After doing this restart the smb service:

 

sudo service smbd restart

 

Now delete your unassigned device share in Unraid and create another one with the new password.

Edited by cjizzle
Link to comment

Thank you, for the advice to change the passwd of the samba user - I had indeed set the same username and password, which had been accepted by Ubuntu without any complain...

Now I have changed the passwd to a different one.

 

Result: Now I can see the shared folder at the Ubuntu client from another client computer running windows 10. But that is not, what I want to do ... I want to connect with Unraid

However Unraid still do not see the shared folder - no change to my above posted Unraid screenshot.

 

I believe the connection between Unraid and Ubuntu is via samba, isn't it ?! That is why I installed Samba...

 

Perhaps Samba is only for networking Unraid with windows systems and not for Linux (Ubuntu) at all ?!

Do I need to install NFS and share via that system with Unraid as Samba will not work between two Linux machines....

Link to comment
1 minute ago, ullibelgie said:

Thank you, for the advice to change the passwd of the samba user - I had indeed set the same username and password, which had been accepted by Ubuntu without any complain...

Now I have changed the passwd to a different one.

 

Result: Now I can see the shared folder at the Ubuntu client from another client computer running windows 10. But that is not, what I want to do ... I want to connect with Unraid

However Unraid still do not see the shared folder - no change to my above posted Unraid screenshot.

 

I believe the connection between Unraid and Ubuntu is via samba, isn't it ?! That is why I installed Samba...

 

Perhaps Samba is only for networking Unraid with windows systems and not for Linux (Ubuntu) at all ?!

Do I need to install NFS and share via that system with Unraid as Samba will not work between two Linux machines....

As I said, the issue is that Ubuntu is not responding to a ping.  Please try the following command that UD uses to test for the server being online.

/bin/ping -c 1 -W 1 (ip address)

If the Ubuntu server takes longer than one second to respond, this command will fail.

 

Let me know the result of this command.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.