Help convince Plex developers to support unRAID

Stokkes

kaiguy, I was hoping to try the symlink method first.  I added those lines to my go file but Plex is still creating the transcode files in /tmp.  Did the addition of those lines work for you?

UPDATE: I think I got it working now with the mount code.  Originally, I had it near the top of my go file.  I then moved it to the bottom and it seems to be working now.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, than it isn't working. No tmp directory showing up in the new location (on the cache drive).

This shows up in my log, not sure whether it is related:

Jun  8 19:13:55 Server unmenu-status: Starting unmenu web-server
Jun  8 19:13:55 Server sshd[3163]: error: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Address already in use. (Errors)
Jun  8 19:13:55 Server sshd[3163]: fatal: Cannot bind any address. (Drive related)

I did not use a hidden directory, but /tmp instead. Would that matter?

OK, than it isn't working. No tmp directory showing up in the new location (on the cache drive).

--snip

I did not use a hidden directory, but /tmp instead. Would that matter?

You have to manually create the directory first.  All the mount does, is redirect the files from /tmp to your location.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't really sure where to ask this question, as there are 3 different apps involved here, so I choose this one. While installing Plex so that I could stream my library from my unRAID server to my Roku, I had a problem that many Roku users (not always unRAID specific) were having, that the Roku would get stuck at the 'retrieving' screen and never make it far enough to show anything in any of the previously set-up libraries on any server.

After following a few threads it appeared that when Plex went looking for the IP address of the server where the libraries could be found, many systems were having the query returned as 127.0.0.0. Obviously not gonna work very well. I went through all the FAQ's and threads regarding Plex on the unRAID forums and found one mentioning turning on AFP in unRAID.

I did this and viola, I had my movies and all Plex channels showing up on the Roku. For a short while anyway. Couldn't get it going again for the next couple of days. Went back through all my notes and decided to check the \tower:32400/servers request that had been mentioned earlier (the one that disclosed the 127.0.0.0 problem). Ah ha... this time the address is coming back as 5.X.X.X (I don't remember the actual numbers - though not critical to my question) which is my LogMeIn Hamachi address. Ok, that explains why Plex couldn't find the libraries. Perhaps the very short time Plex was working the Hamachi address had been replaced by unRAID's address.

So I comment out the Hamachi lines in my GO file and reboot. Everything works great, All channels and libraries are once again visable and survived several reboots. I checked the \tower:32400/servers request again and it always comes back with my unRAID address, which makes sense. Of course Hamachi does not work now, but Plex runs great!

My questions is, is there a way to make sure that the unRAID address is always seen as the host address even if/after Hamachi has been started? Is there a better place to put the Hamachi line is the GO file (beginning/end), is there a setting or Linux/unRAID command that will set the host ip address to something and still let Hamachi find itself?

Thanks!

Booo... I seem to be really struggling here :(

I've upgraded to 5.0b6a, and got that all working.  I've followed @BRIT's steps below, but when I run start.sh, I get this message:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid
./start.sh:  line 7:  27118 Aborted       ./Plex\ Media\ Server

Any ideas?

Figured it out... need to uninstall the ""C" compiler & development tools" in UnMenu

When I try to run start.sh, I get the same response. I have uninstalled  C compiler & development tools, still having the same problem. Any suggestions?

I think I've got things almost working now.  It seems that Avahi is the stumbling point in my setup.  I can start PMS manually or automatically on reboot.  I can access the web manager. It maintains Library sections following reboot. I can manually tell Plex on my iPhone to connect to the server and it will, but Plex on my Mac Mini and MacBook don't see the Library. I made sure to enable AFP on my server. I even disabled and re-enabled it just to be sure, but it didn't make a difference.  Looking through the system log, I found this which further leads me to think that something with Avahi is borked on my system:

Jul  9 16:04:42 Tower emhttp: shcmd (46): /etc/rc.d/rc.avahidnsconfd start |logger
Jul  9 16:04:42 Tower logger: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD DNS Server Configuration Daemon:  /usr/sbin/avahi-dnsconfd -D
Jul  9 16:04:42 Tower avahi-dnsconfd[4405]: connect(): No such file or directory
Jul  9 16:04:42 Tower avahi-dnsconfd[4405]: Failed to connect to the daemon. This probably means that you
Jul  9 16:04:42 Tower avahi-dnsconfd[4405]: didn't start avahi-daemon before avahi-dnsconfd.

Attached is copy of the full log.

syslog-20110709-160307.txt.zip

I think I've got things almost working now.  It seems that Avahi is the stumbling point in my setup.  I can start PMS manually or automatically on reboot.  I can access the web manager. It maintains Library sections following reboot. I can manually tell Plex on my iPhone to connect to the server and it will, but Plex on my Mac Mini and MacBook don't see the Library. I made sure to enable AFP on my server. I even disabled and re-enabled it just to be sure, but it didn't make a difference.  Looking through the system log, I found this which further leads me to think that something with Avahi is borked on my system:

Jul  9 16:04:42 Tower emhttp: shcmd (46): /etc/rc.d/rc.avahidnsconfd start |logger
Jul  9 16:04:42 Tower logger: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD DNS Server Configuration Daemon:  /usr/sbin/avahi-dnsconfd -D
Jul  9 16:04:42 Tower avahi-dnsconfd[4405]: connect(): No such file or directory
Jul  9 16:04:42 Tower avahi-dnsconfd[4405]: Failed to connect to the daemon. This probably means that you
Jul  9 16:04:42 Tower avahi-dnsconfd[4405]: didn't start avahi-daemon before avahi-dnsconfd.

How are you starting Avahi?  All I did was enable AFP in the unRAID settings, and it works fine.  I don't even have any AFP shares.

How are you starting Avahi?  All I did was enable AFP in the unRAID settings, and it works fine.  I don't even have any AFP shares.

I enabled AFP on my system but I believe that's what is causing these errors. After some googling I discovered that Avahi doesn't work properly if there is only a root user. So I created another user (which I hadn't really needed up til this point).  Unfortunately that doesn't seem to have solved the issue.  I'll post a new log when I get a chance. I haven't looked yet to see if it's still throwing the same error or if a new stumbling point has cropped up :P

This is the troubling line from the syslog:

Jul  9 15:45:22 Tower avahi-daemon[3382]: Failed to find user 'avahi'.

Can you check /etc/passwd, as that user should be there as part of the standard install.

Cheers.

This is the troubling line from the syslog:

Jul  9 15:45:22 Tower avahi-daemon[3382]: Failed to find user 'avahi'.

Can you check /etc/passwd, as that user should be there as part of the standard install.

Cheers.

This is the list of users in /etc/passwd:

root:#########:0:0::/root:/bin/bash

bin::1:1:bin:/bin:/bin/false

daemon::2:2:daemon:/sbin:/bin/false

adm::3:4:adm:/var/log:/bin/false

lp::4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:/bin/false

sync::5:0:sync:/sbin:/bin/sync

shutdown::6:0:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown

halt::7:0:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt

mail::8:12:mail:/:/bin/false

news::9:13:news:/usr/lib/news:/bin/false

uucp::10:14:uucp:/var/spool/uucppublic:/bin/false

operator::11:0:operator:/root:/bin/bash

games::12:100:games:/usr/games:/bin/false

ftp::14:50::/home/ftp:/bin/false

smmsp::25:25:smmsp:/var/spool/clientmqueue:/bin/false

mysql::27:27:MySQL:/var/lib/mysql:/bin/bash

rpc::32:32:RPC portmap user:/:/bin/false

sshd::33:33:sshd:/:/bin/false

gdm::42:42:GDM:/var/state/gdm:/bin/bash

apache::80:80:User for Apache:/srv/httpd:/bin/false

messagebus::81:81:User for D-BUS:/var/run/dbus:/bin/false

haldaemon::82:82:User for HAL:/var/run/hald:/bin/false

pop::90:90:POP:/:/bin/false

nobody::99:99:nobody:/:/bin/false

mike:########:1000:100::/:/bin/false

I don't see avahi there.  Any pointers on what I need to add? Or thoughts on why it might be missing?

I hope you do not intend to open your server to the world, as right now these 5 accounts have NO password.

Logging in as "sync" will have little impact, but logging in as "halt" or "shutdown" might.  The other two would just give access to your files...

Joe L.

I hope you do not intend to open your server to the world, as right now these 5 accounts have NO password.

Logging in as "sync" will have little impact, but logging in as "halt" or "shutdown" might.  The other two would just give access to your files...

Joe L.

I wasn't planning on it.  Thanks for the tip.

I don't see avahi there.  Any pointers on what I need to add? Or thoughts on why it might be missing?

My guess is an add-on that is replacing the /etc/passwd that comes with unRAID, which doesn't include all the "standard" users that unRAID has.

This is mine:

root:x:0:0:Console and webGui login account:/root:/bin/bash
bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:/bin/false
daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:/bin/false
adm:x:3:4:adm:/var/log:/bin/false
lp:x:4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:/bin/false
mail:x:8:12:mail:/:/bin/false
news:x:9:13:news:/usr/lib/news:/bin/false
uucp:x:10:14:uucp:/var/spool/uucppublic:/bin/false
ftp:x:14:50::/home/ftp:/bin/false
smmsp:x:25:25:smmsp:/var/spool/clientmqueue:/bin/false
mysql:x:27:27:MySQL:/var/lib/mysql:/bin/false
rpc:x:32:32:RPC portmap user:/:/bin/false
sshd:x:33:33:sshd:/:/bin/false
gdm:x:42:42:GDM:/var/state/gdm:/bin/false
avahi:x:61:214:Avahi Daemon User:/dev/null:/bin/false
avahi-autoipd:x:62:62:Avahi AutoIP Daemon User:/dev/null:/bin/false
messagebus:x:81:81::/dev/null:/bin/false
pop:x:90:90:POP:/:/bin/false
nobody:x:99:100:nobody:/:/bin/false
eddie:x:1000:100:Me:/:/bin/false

Cheers.

I don't see avahi there.  Any pointers on what I need to add? Or thoughts on why it might be missing?

My guess is an add-on that is replacing the /etc/passwd that comes with unRAID, which doesn't include all the "standard" users that unRAID has.

This is mine:

root:x:0:0:Console and webGui login account:/root:/bin/bash
bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:/bin/false
daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:/bin/false
adm:x:3:4:adm:/var/log:/bin/false
lp:x:4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:/bin/false
mail:x:8:12:mail:/:/bin/false
news:x:9:13:news:/usr/lib/news:/bin/false
uucp:x:10:14:uucp:/var/spool/uucppublic:/bin/false
ftp:x:14:50::/home/ftp:/bin/false
smmsp:x:25:25:smmsp:/var/spool/clientmqueue:/bin/false
mysql:x:27:27:MySQL:/var/lib/mysql:/bin/false
rpc:x:32:32:RPC portmap user:/:/bin/false
sshd:x:33:33:sshd:/:/bin/false
gdm:x:42:42:GDM:/var/state/gdm:/bin/false
messagebus:x:81:81::/dev/null:/bin/false
pop:x:90:90:POP:/:/bin/false
nobody:x:99:100:nobody:/:/bin/false
eddie:x:1000:100:Me:/:/bin/false

Cheers.

Thanks.

Copying the avahi lines into my /boot/config/passwd seems to have done the trick.

Thanks.

Copying the avahi lines into my /boot/config/passwd seems to have done the trick.

Don't you also have to update shadow ??

Cheers.

Thanks.

Don't you also have to update shadow ??

Cheers.

You lost me. I'm not sure what you mean by that. I rebooted my server after making those changes and now my PMS sections show up on the network. I am still having some trouble getting it to finish a deep scan but I don't think that's related.

The password files for newer versions is split into two pieces, /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow; /etc/shadow contains the private and encrypted passwords and /etc/passwd contains the public information.

You need to add the following to your /boot/config/shadow and /etc/shadow file:

avahi:!:14980:0:99999:7:::
avahi-autoipd:!:14980:0:99999:7:::

The password files for newer versions is split into two pieces, /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow; /etc/shadow contains the private and encrypted passwords and /etc/passwd contains the public information.

You need to add the following to your /boot/config/shadow and /etc/shadow file:

avahi:!:14980:0:99999:7:::
avahi-autoipd:!:14980:0:99999:7:::

Thanks for the clarification. I just checked and oddly enough, the shadow file already included the avahi lines.

Got plex running on my system followed the instructions from page 7. However I seem to run into a problem when I shutdown unraid. After a reboot a Parity check is started because 2 disks are kept in use during powerdown. My last lines in my syslog are:

Jul 19 07:08:42 Tower rc.unRAID[30189]: Stopping the Array

Jul 19 07:08:42 Tower kernel: mdcmd (74): stop

Jul 19 07:08:42 Tower kernel: md: 2 devices still in use.

Jul 19 07:08:45 Tower mdstatusdiff[30197]: --- /tmp/mdcmd.29750.1^I2011-07-19 07:08:42.000000000 +0200

Jul 19 07:08:45 Tower mdstatusdiff[30197]: +++ /tmp/mdcmd.29750.2^I2011-07-19 07:08:45.000000000 +0200

Jul 19 07:08:45 Tower mdstatusdiff[30197]: @@ -33,7 +33,7 @@

Jul 19 07:08:45 Tower mdstatusdiff[30197]:  rdevSize.0=1953514552

Jul 19 07:08:45 Tower mdstatusdiff[30197]:  rdevId.0=SAMSUNG_HD204UI_S2H7J1BZ908854

Jul 19 07:08:45 Tower mdstatusdiff[30197]:  rdevNumErrors.0=0

Jul 19 07:08:45 Tower mdstatusdiff[30197]: -rdevLastIO.0=1311052122

Jul 19 07:08:45 Tower mdstatusdiff[30197]: +rdevLastIO.0=1311052123

Jul 19 07:08:45 Tower mdstatusdiff[30197]:  rdevSpinupGroup.0=0

Jul 19 07:08:45 Tower mdstatusdiff[30197]:  diskNumber.1=1

Jul 19 07:08:45 Tower mdstatusdiff[30197]:  diskName.1=md1

Jul 19 07:08:45 Tower mdstatusdiff[30197]: @@ -293,5 +293,5 @@

Jul 19 07:08:45 Tower mdstatusdiff[30197]:  rdevSize.20=1953514552

Jul 19 07:08:45 Tower mdstatusdiff[30197]:  rdevId.20=SAMSUNG_HD204UI_S2H7J9EZC06072

Jul 19 07:08:45 Tower mdstatusdiff[30197]:  rdevNumErrors.20=0

Jul 19 07:08:45 Tower mdstatusdiff[30197]: -rdevLastIO.20=1311052122

The first drive is my parity drive.

The second drive is the drive where I made my plex/tmp folder for transcoding.

it seems the symlink command for the tmp folder is the cause, but I have no idea how to fix it.

The command in my go script:

cd /tmp; tar cf - . | (cd /mnt/disk20/plex/tmp; tar xf -)

mount --bind /mnt/disk20/plex/tmp /tmp

Any idea?