[SOLVED] will parity rebuild continue or restart if you shut down the server?

• CaptainTivo changed the title to [SOLVED] will parity rebuild continue or restart if you shut down the server?
  • 1 year later...

It takes 2 or 3 full days to parity sync an 18TB drive.  Can this be a new feature request, that we can stop array and continue parity rebuilds?

Preclear allows reboots and can continue where it left off.

I have frequent problems with things not working right and needing to reboot.  For the last 2 weeks I often don't make it to 2 days before I need a reboot.  I don't know if it is because I run sonarr and radarr and nzbget with hundreds, or thousands, of downloads queued or grabbed, or because I used the cheap shucked 8TB drives that keep having problems, or if unraid is not very stable.  I don't know, so I make guesses.  

1 hour ago, xrqp said:

Can this be a new feature request, that we can stop array and continue parity rebuilds?

As long as you are on a recent Unraid release (6.9.2 or later) then the Parity Check Tuning plugin can already provide this capability as long as you do not get an unclean shutdown of the array.  It can also make scheduled parity checks less painful by running them as increments outside prime time which can make them less painful when you have large parity drives.

• 1 year later...

I have the Parity Check Tuning plugin and have the parity check scheduled to run incrementally overnight.  It starts at 1am and pauses at 9am each night until the parity check completes.  I had cause to reboot the server yesterday during the day.  The parity check was paused at 64% from the previous night.  Parity check did not resume last night as I would have expected.  Is there a setting I'm missing here?

3 hours ago, SirCadian said:

Parity check did not resume last night as I would have expected.  Is there a setting I'm missing here?

Did you set the option in the plugin settings to attempt to restart array operations after a reboot?   If you did then the plugin should have attempted to restart the operation from the point reached after the reboot as long as the shutdown was a clean shutdown.

if you have that option set then please post your system’s diagnostics zip file so I can have a look to see if I can spot why the restart did not happen.

On 5/2/2023 at 12:48 PM, itimpi said:

Did you set the option in the plugin settings to attempt to restart array operations after a reboot?   If you did then the plugin should have attempted to restart the operation from the point reached after the reboot as long as the shutdown was a clean shutdown.

if you have that option set then please post your system’s diagnostics zip file so I can have a look to see if I can spot why the restart did not happen.

I've got "Resume array operations on next array start" set to yes.  I'll PM you the diagnostics.