[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

5 hours ago, jamescon said:

Yes, the time and timezone are correct in settings.

From what I see in your Diagnostics it should be able to download the driver just fine.

Do you have any AdBlocking software on your network somewhere that maybe preven communication with GitHub?

Do you have enough free space on your USB boot device (about 500MB)?

On 12/21/2022 at 8:54 PM, ich777 said:

This seems more like an hardware incompatibility issue to me.

If possible try this:

1. Search for BIOS updates, if a newer BIOS is available please update your BIOS
  2. Switch to Legacy Boot mode instead of UEFI
  3. Force the PCIe slot to Gen3 where the card is installed

Thanks for the answer. I completed the first and third points. Unfortunately, I don't quite understand how to switch to legacy with this motherboard. Google searches ended in failure, I'll do some researching over the weekend.

On 12/21/2022 at 8:54 PM, ich777 said:

May I ask why do you want to use a Nvidia GPU when you have the iGPU, the new Intel iGPUs are pretty much capable of the same amount of transcodes like your 1650 (depending on the source quality) and as a benefit you save a lot of power.

Honestly I do not know. I want to evaluate the performance difference between GPU and CPU. This is really an unnecessary option, and only the CPU will be enough for transcoding.

32 minutes ago, brainreplaced said:

Thanks for the answer. I completed the first and third points. Unfortunately, I don't quite understand how to switch to legacy with this motherboard. Google searches ended in failure, I'll do some researching over the weekend.

Should be CSM or Legacy Boot somewhere in your BIOS.

32 minutes ago, brainreplaced said:

I want to evaluate the performance difference between GPU and CPU. This is really an unnecessary option, and only the CPU will be enough for transcoding.

The iGPUs are a bit slower with transcoding in terms of FPS but they are pretty much capable of the same amount of transcodes as consumer Nvidia GPUs.

I really don't know if it's an issue with the GTX1600 series cards since very many users have issues with this cards (not only on Unraid, Linux in general).

26 minutes ago, brainreplaced said:

Yes, I understand. On most motherboards, switching is in this section as a separate option, but here it is missing 😞

As far as I can tell you should have the option in your BIOS since even your Motherboard Manual mentions it.

I also see a options that may be also relevant for you "Above 4GB MMIO BIOS Assignment" which should be also be Enabled.

As said above I really don't know if this is a hardware compatibility issue in your case because many users have issues with GTX1600 series cards.

You can also try and disable your onboard GPU and see if this makes a difference, other users said that the disabling the BMC did also help but these all things which I can't test because I don't have such an card or motherboard.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ich777 said:

From what I see in your Diagnostics it should be able to download the driver just fine.

Do you have any AdBlocking software on your network somewhere that maybe preven communication with GitHub?

Do you have enough free space on your USB boot device (about 500MB)?

I switched out the 1GB boot device I was using for an 8GB one and the Nvidia driver plug-in and drives successfully installed!  Thank you!

• Like 1
On 12/22/2022 at 5:22 PM, ich777 said:

The syslog after the install tells me that something went very wrong with the card in this system and the module crashes basically.

But I'm not entirely sure what is causing this.

The fact that you can see a display output tells not much if the card is properly working since the card is not fully initialized at this stage (BIOS & Terminal), you have to actually install the drivers for the card and put a 3D load on it to see if it's properly working.

Anyways, even if the card is working in another system it is possible that some form of hardware compatibility issue is causing this (I don't know much about those Intel motherboards that you are using, I've only heard that there can happen some weird things with certain hardware).

I would recommend that you try to install the card in another system (maybe Windows would be best), install the drivers, put some 3D load on it (Furmark, 3D Mark,...) and see if it is stable for about 10 minutes.

If that is working in the other system please create another Unraid USB Boot device and boot this exact system with this USB Boot device (don't start the Array, just register for Trail), install the CA App and try to install the Nvidia driver there <- this will not change anything to the system which you test the card in, as long as you don't start the Array.

I know this procedure is really tedious but with this you ensure that the hardware is working and if it's a hardware compatibility issue.

Hello - an update as promised. As you suspected, there was a hardware compatibility issue with my Intel server board and the RTX2060 I was trying to use. I picked up a used Quadro P620 and have followed the same install instructions. Everything is working perfectly with this card (and as a bonus, it needs far less power). Thank you again for the support, and for this brilliant plugin.

• Like 1
On 11/29/2022 at 9:01 AM, ich777 said:

Nothing manual, everything is automated, otherwise you would need to compile the driver on every reboot. ;)

Well, @ich777 all of my problems are back.  I restarted the server yesterday to implement some Tips & Tweaks changes and now my GPU won't transcode.  Exact same problems as before.  I've since reverted the T&T changes.

GPU initializes but immediate reverts to CPU transcoding.  Current on 525.60.13

I don't have a clue what triggered this issue again, but I'm working to get functionality back.

Edited by Jacon
24 minutes ago, Jacon said:

Well, @ich777 all of my problems are back.  I restarted the server yesterday to implement some Tips & Tweaks changes and now my GPU won't transcode.  Exact same problems as before.  I've since reverted the T&T changes.

I don't have a clue what triggered this issue again, but I'm working to get functionality back.

Your Diagnostics are missing.

But please after you've tried to transcode a file and when it's not working.

10 hours ago, Jacon said:

Have you yet tried to disable your AST onboard graphics card as suggested earlier and see if that makes any difference?

Are you sure that you've enabled ReSizable BAR and above 4G Decoding?

Please also try to re seat the card in it's graphics slot and re attach the external power connectors.

I really can't tell what's going on on your system, it could also be the case that your graphics card is dying but that are all just guesses.

It could also be that something doesn't play nice with each other on your system and that this is caused by some weird hardware incompatibility issue.

10 hours ago, ich777 said:

Have you yet tried to disable your AST onboard graphics card as suggested earlier and see if that makes any difference?

Are you sure that you've enabled ReSizable BAR and above 4G Decoding?

Please also try to re seat the card in it's graphics slot and re attach the external power connectors.

I really can't tell what's going on on your system, it could also be the case that your graphics card is dying but that are all just guesses.

It could also be that something doesn't play nice with each other on your system and that this is caused by some weird hardware incompatibility issue.

4G is enabled and there's no option for resizable BAR in the supermicro board.  Disabling onboard VGA also disables my ability to get into the BIOS and iKVM, and forcing the PCI to Gen 3 didn't help either.

I'm at a total loss.  This card was working great 3 days ago, and now, nothing.  It's possible that it died, but I'm going to keep holding out before I buy another used card.

29 minutes ago, Jacon said:

Disabling onboard VGA also disables my ability to get into the BIOS and iKVM

And is that an issue for you?

have you tried it so far?

29 minutes ago, Jacon said:

I'm at a total loss.

I can‘t help either in your case, this seems like some kind of weird issue.

I‘ve seen reports of hardware failures, others such issues where resolved by newer BIOS updates and even one where the power supply was the cause of the issue.

Do you have any other card lying around which you can test?

6 minutes ago, ich777 said:

And is that an issue for you?

have you tried it so far?

I can‘t help either in your case, this seems like some kind of weird issue.

I‘ve seen reports of hardware failures, others such issues where resolved by newer BIOS updates and even one where the power supply was the cause of the issue.

Do you have any other card lying around which you can test?

I tried disabling the VGA. That’s how I discovered my ikvm broke. 

i don’t have a backup card to test. 

On 12/27/2022 at 11:28 AM, Jacon said:

I tried disabling the VGA. That’s how I discovered my ikvm broke. 

i don’t have a backup card to test. 

@ich777 I ran another experiment today and encoded a 4K to 1080p using the NVENC option for Handbrake.  That docker uses the exact same variables for Plex (--runtime=NVIDIA, Nvida DC and Nvida VD).  So far so good for transcoding, but still nothing in Plex. 

Does this SMI screenshot and Diag file look normal to you?

image.png.1292de8b50393afc9ce7a462aca548a0.png

sassnas-diagnostics-20221229-1650.zip

Edited by Jacon
6 hours ago, Jacon said:

So far so good for transcoding, but still nothing in Plex. 

If Handbrake is running just fine and every transcode is working fine this seems more like a Plex issue to me and I would strongly recommend that you report that over on the Plex support thread.

Please remember I always recommend to use the official Plex container and make sure that you have a valid Plex subscription.

6 hours ago, Jacon said:

Does this SMI screenshot and Diag file look normal to you?

The nvidia-smi screenshot seems pretty normal to me.

Did you know that you can also issue:

watch nvidia-smi

from the terminal? This command will update every 2 seconds by default and you don‘t have to execute the command manually every time, to exit press CTRL+C