Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Unraid

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

Featured Replies

9 hours ago, ich777 said:

But why the open source one?

The Tesla P4 isn't supported by the Open Source Kernel Module...

 

Why don't you use the latest driver? Anyways, as @alturismo said, you don't need this plugin if you want to use it in a VM like mentioned on the first page.

Well that solved it then.  I removed the P4 since I cant get it to work in the vm, no way to export the vbios.  I ordered a Titan and will use it instead.  Thanks again for the patience and help!

  • Replies 5.9k
  • Views 1.1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • To utilize your Nvidia graphics card in your Docker container(s) the basic steps are:   Add '--runtime=nvidia' in your Docker template in 'Extra Parameters' (you have to enable 'Advanced

  • Recompiled the drivers and they are now just working fine (to get it working scroll down):   Please do the following (this is only necessary if you upgraded before I recompiled the dri

  • I'm currently spinning up my build VM and compiling the drivers again, currently drivers for 6.11.0 stable are not available...

Posted Images

  • Author
1 hour ago, wkipling said:

Interestingly when this issue first occurred, a reboot fixed it but not the second time.

In your BIOS check if Above 4G Decoding and Resizable BAR Support is enabled in your BIOS.

I would also recommend that you boot in legacy mode since this can solve a lot of issues too in terms of the Nvidia drivers.

 

1 hour ago, wkipling said:

I am using binhex plex pass.

Maybe try the official one from the CA App too, but if you didn't see the card on the plugin page there seems to be another cause of this issue.

 

Can you test the card in a desktop computer, install the drivers and put a 3D load (Furmark or something like that) on it for about 30 Minutes and see if everything is working?

 

I know it sounds maybe stupid because the card was working before but can you also check if the power supply isn't the cause of this issue? The driver seems to load fine but after you put a load on it (transcode in your case) the message form my previous post from your syslog appeared.

Maybe I'm dense, but I've rebooted my server a couple of times for unrelated reasons in the past few weeks.

 

I have the plugin installed, and it works like a charm.

 

But should I see my server say "Installing 3rd party driver: NVIDIA xxxxx" every time I boot?

 

5 hours ago, djtodd said:

But should I see my server say "Installing 3rd party driver: NVIDIA xxxxx" every time I boot?

 

yep, Unraid runs in RAM only, so there is nothing "installed" persistent ... ;) like all plugins etc ...

1 minute ago, alturismo said:

yep, Unraid runs in RAM only, so there is nothing "installed" persistent ... ;) like all plugins etc ...

 

Yeah thats exactly what I *thought* but I'm glad files weren't left behind, etc.

 

Thanks!

 

Hi all

 

I had the plugin and drivers working a while back, but upgraded to 6.11.5 a while back and didn't bother to install/reinstall the drivers again.

In a state of temporary mental derangement, I clicked "Install latest driver" from the plugin page today and waited until I got the reboot message. 

Unfortunately, my system now won't boot anymore.... it only goes past "Loading /bzroot....", but then I only get a blinking cursor on an otherwise empty screen.

What did I do wrong? How can I revert back to the state before, where at least my unraid was running smoothely?

 

Thank you and kind regards,

SnakeZZ

5 hours ago, SnakeZZ said:

How can I revert back to the state before, where at least my unraid was running smoothely?

may 1st start in safe mode (no plugins)

 

uninstall the plugin, then remove from the stick the driver

 

rm -R /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver

 

reboot, now you are running without the driver ... this will completely remove all of it.

 

then you can start from scratch and install the plugin, install your previously installed driver (stable ?) ...

  • Author
8 hours ago, SnakeZZ said:

In a state of temporary mental derangement

I also have these moments... :D

 

...but in all seriousness, the plugin or better speaking the driver should not prevent your server from booting.

I have suspicion that maybe we are dealing with a bad boot drive here or another issue related to the boot device.

 

As @alturismo said, please remove the plugin manually, if you do this from another machine because obviousely your server isn't booting, delete this file too:

/config/plugins/nvidia-driver.plg

 

8 hours ago, SnakeZZ said:

it only goes past "Loading /bzroot....", but then I only get a blinking cursor on an otherwise empty screen.

Does it go immediately to a blinking cursor and display nothing?

On what machine are you running Unraid?

45 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Does it go immediately to a blinking cursor and display nothing?

On what machine are you running Unraid?

 

Deleting the plugin folder and .cfg didn't help.

It directly goes in to a blank screen/blinking cursor after "Loading /bzroot".

 

So... I guess something else is wrong with the stick... how do I recover from that?

I've been running Unraid on a Supermicro CSE-848 for nearly 3 years now.

Boot stick is a Kingston data traveler 16 GB - if that makes any difference.

 

  • Author
1 minute ago, SnakeZZ said:

So... I guess something else is wrong with the stick... how do I recover from that?

  • Did you Enable Flash Backup in the My Server Plugin? If yes you can restore your Flash backup like this: Click
     
  • Do you have a backup from your USB Boot device? If yes you can simply create a new USB Boot device with the USB Creator Tool for Unraid and replace the whole "config" from your backup with the on the new USB Boot device.
     
  • You can also try to download the latest release (as time of writing 6.11.5) from here and replace only the bz* files in the root of the USB Boot device with the ones from your archive, maybe this will fix the issue but I would recommend that you buy a new USB Boot device since it is likely that something corrupted the files.

 

Did you by any chance change anything in the BIOS or in the config from your USB Boot device?

 

I would also recommend that you go through this thread for a new USB Boot device (I personally recommend Transcend JetFlash 600 USB2.0 32GB as Flash drive).

3 hours ago, ich777 said:
  • Do you have a backup from your USB Boot device? If yes you can simply create a new USB Boot device with the USB Creator Tool for Unraid and replace the whole "config" from your backup with the on the new USB Boot device.
     
  • You can also try to download the latest release (as time of writing 6.11.5) from here and replace only the bz* files in the root of the USB Boot device with the ones from your archive, maybe this will fix the issue but I would recommend that you buy a new USB Boot device since it is likely that something corrupted the files.

 

Did you by any chance change anything in the BIOS or in the config from your USB Boot device?

 

I had a second USB Stick lying around (bought 2 back in the day), so I used the USB Flash Creator and manually copied back the config folder.

Unfortunately, I now get the same issue from that stick. Stuck on the blinking cursor again.

 

Now I am a bit stuck... can my HW be faulty? It was running fine before.

I have ECC RAM, so I suppose RAM shouldn't be an issue.

 

Man.... this s*cks.

  • Author
23 minutes ago, SnakeZZ said:

Now I am a bit stuck... can my HW be faulty? It was running fine before.

I have ECC RAM, so I suppose RAM shouldn't be an issue.

I would recommend that you create a post on the General Support sub-forum since I'm not too familiar with Supermicro boards.

 

I really can't think why the Nvidia Driver plugin should cause such an issue.

 

No changes to the hardware or software where made? Does the Motherboard has a onboard video card where it maybe outputs the console?

28 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I really can't think why the Nvidia Driver plugin should cause such an issue.

 

Me neither... But thank Flying-Spaghetti-Monster and Invisible-Pink-Unicorn, I got just it running again on the old stick.

I had a lot of devices in the boot sequence in BIOS and threw out everything but the USB stick.

That solved it. Very strange.

 

Thank you very very much for your help... I posted a similar post before posting here in the General Forum, but got no replies at all 😕

 

  • Author
28 minutes ago, SnakeZZ said:

That solved it. Very strange.

Glad that your server is now back up and running.

 

Again I don't think that the Nvidia Driver plugin caused the issue, please keep me update if installing the plugin changes anything.

Hello, my friend.  I've been troubleshooting an issue now for over a week, and I could use some of your expertise in an area where, for my expertise, I'm well over my head.  I posted a thread last week in the General sub-forum, but haven't had much response. 

 

I recently upgraded my server with a new 5700G and B550 motherboard.  The server retains the Quadro P400.  The goal is to use the AMD iGPU as an Unraid console (to use KVM) and the P400 for transcoding in Unraid dockers. 

 

The issue is I cannot get the iGPU to display the Unraid login screen when booting into "Unraid OS GUI Mode" with the P400 and nVidia plugin installed.  With a monitor attached to the iGPU, from a power on boot I can watch boot sequence on the display, the initial Unraid boot text, GRUB menu, then more Unraid text.  I displays "Staring Samba" for just over a minute, then the display is blanked.

 

In my current configuration, if I boot into GIU Safe Mode, the display on the iGPU boots into the Unraid log in, and works as I would expect and desire.

 

I have tried so many different combinations of things:  EUFI vs Legacy, uninstall/reinstall both nVidia and Radeon_Top, remove P400, plugged HDMI dummy plug into P400 (was needed in earlier non-iGPU setup to boot), and more.  Each time I (usually) start from a power off boot.  I have so many hours now of troubleshooting, I have lost track.  What is common is if I remove the nVidia from the situation (physically or Safe Mode) the iGPU displays fine.  It seems that Unraid switches the console from the iGPU to the P400 at some point.

 

Any input you can offer is greatly appreciated.  The diags attached is the current/latest configuration in the standard GUI bott up.

malta-tower-diagnostics-20230124-0845.zip

  • Author
6 minutes ago, ConnerVT said:

The issue is I cannot get the iGPU to display the Unraid login screen when booting into "Unraid OS GUI Mode" with the P400 and nVidia plugin installed.

Please run this command from a Unraid Terminal:

sed -i "/disable_xconfig=/c\disable_xconfig=true" /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver/settings.cfg

and reboot after that.

WOO HOO!  You are my hero!  First time I've seen this 100% correct since I started on it a week ago Sunday.

 

I had at one point added "disable_xconfig=true" to the config file.  It ended up displaying out put that was squished down and extending too wide for the monitor (see picture).  I had found this in a bug report thread for 6.9.  I then had a bunch of issues undoing it (set to 'false', removed entirely) that I ended up rebuilding my flash from an earlier backup.  (That's a whole other frustrating story).  So I decided not to go down that path again.

 

So thank you, once again, for your help.  Not just for this, but all you do for the Unraid community!

squish.jpg

Edited by ConnerVT
wrong word

I need a little bit support.

I need the driver package 470.161.03

 

I saw that you released it.

But I cannot choose it in the plugin.

 

How is the procedure?

 

Thanks a lot 

image.thumb.png.deb9baaef9edf0cabff0afc490172520.png

 

image.png.e63ac434191128e37ba56f2e8b620936.png

A quick follow up.  When I tried "disable_xconfig=true" earlier, I may have been booting with UEFI.  One notable difference I saw on my machine is the text size (and GRUB menu) had smaller text.  In hindsight, this may be why I had the funny looking resolution when I tried this config entry before.  Something to think about.

  • Author
11 minutes ago, SBH said:

I saw that you released it.

On what Unraid version are you?

Please post your Diagnostics.

 

May I ask why you need that specific driver?

  • Author
9 minutes ago, ConnerVT said:

When I tried "disable_xconfig=true" earlier, I may have been booting with UEFI.  One notable difference I saw on my machine is the text size (and GRUB menu) had smaller text.  In hindsight, this may be why I had the funny looking resolution when I tried this config entry before.

This is caused by the implementation in the BIOS and mostly nothing I can do about...

 

However may I ask why you want to use the iGPU for Console or better speaking the Unraid GUI output?

It wouldn't make much of a difference if you for example disable the iGPU and display it through the Nvidia GPU, of course you have to set disable_xconfig again to false.

On 8/29/2022 at 8:25 AM, ich777 said:

May I ask first what you want to do with card?

I installed a gainward gtx650ti GPU

On gainward site driver is referred to NVIDIA page. There is this driver noted for this GPU.

 

I'm on Version: 6.11.5

 

 

tower-diagnostics-20230124-1750.zip

  • Author
5 minutes ago, SBH said:

On gainward site driver is referred to NVIDIA page. There is this driver noted for this GPU.

What is wrong with driver version: 470.141.03?

 

From what I see in your Diagnostics the driver is loaded and your card is recognized just fine.

 

BTW if you want to use this card for hardware transcoding that's a pretty bad choice because it even doesn't support h265 (HEVC).

 

25 minutes ago, SBH said:

Thanks a lot 

The screenshot that you've posted above is for another Unraid version too...

9 minutes ago, ich777 said:

What is wrong with driver version: 470.141.03?

I thought, that it should be equal with recommendation of NVIDIA.

 

9 minutes ago, ich777 said:

BTW if you want to use this card for hardware transcoding that's a pretty bad choice because it even doesn't support h265 (HEVC).

Thanks for this input, I was really thought about to using GPU for HW Transcoding and the iGPU for a small VM. In this case, I will switch.

My iGPU is performing well for the HW Transcoding.

 

Thanks for the support

  • Author
13 minutes ago, SBH said:

I thought, that it should be equal with recommendation of NVIDIA.

Yes and no.

 

The reason behind why it is like it is for the legacy driver is because I only compile the latest legacy driver which is available at a new release from a new Unraid version, like in this case Nvidia Driver version 470.141.03 was the latest legacy driver when Unraid 6.11.5 was released on November 3rd 2022:

image.png.a0ba25ffd44958d0bfd8b419dd48f732.png

(BTW 5.19.17 is the Kernel version from Unraid 6.11.5 and this version allows me to exactly identify in the plugin which version from Unraid a user is running and needs to be downloaded since the driver depends on the Kernel version)

 

This driver should run with all cards which need the legacy driver just fine.

 

On the other hand, for stable Unraid versions I compile ever new Nvidia driver (for recent cards) that is released in the life cycle for a specific Unraid version, like you can see for 6.11.5 there are a lot since November 3rd:

image.png.7c8f6d3e457d39cc53c63d2c3ea51e99.png

 

 

13 minutes ago, SBH said:

Thanks for this input, I was really thought about to using GPU for HW Transcoding and the iGPU for a small VM. In this case, I will switch.

If you want to use this card for a VM then please uninstall this plugin, this plugin is only meant if you want to use your Nvidia card in a Docker, or even multiple, Docker contianer(s).

 

See the first post from this thread:

image.png.74c6f93ee654efdc68b3761fdfd67da0.png

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.