• [6.12.9] CIFS: VFS: directory entry name would overflow frame end of buf

unCoreX
    • Solved Urgent

Updated my main unraid server. At the end i got this information in the log. And it still growing.

I did reboot again after the update, but is still there.

This is no warning, just some information, but like to know what it means :)

Something I should be worried about or is this just some info in the new Kernel? Can i hide this or is it a easy fix for this?

image.png.77d61e6e0a23c91351accd2e56998a0f.png

EDIT:

This has something to do with the SMB share. I just shutdown the containers that i know are using my SMB (I have two NAS)
    And then start it again, the message came back.

I did teste with other containers that not use SMB, like Heimdall, Dozzle. No messages.
    So maybe this has something todo with the Unassigned Devices plugin?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

33 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I've put some time into troubleshooting UD to see if there is something in the way UD is mounting remote shares.  There doesn't seem to be anything that UD does or can do to cause this problem.

I'm not one to play the blame game, but as we get into this I believe we are going to find it's related to a change in Samba or a Kernel change causing this.  In our beta testing for one of the recent releases, we found an issue with CIFS mounts where 'df' would not report size, used, and free space on a CIFS mount point.  When UD sees a CIFS mount with zero space, it disables the mount so UI browsing and other operations could not be performed.  UD assumes there is a problem with the mount.  It ended up being related to a 'stat' change in the Kernel failing on the CIFS mount.

As has been said, this is related to remote mounts through UD.  It does not affect the NAS file sharing functionality through SMB.  I understand that this is an important functionality for many users and for the moment, downgrading to 6.12.8 is the answer.  We will release a new version of Unraid as soon as we have an answer.

I haven no idea if this is related or not. I was just googling "CIFS: VFS: directory entry name would overflow frame end of buf" :)

https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email protected]/
    image.png.d875c913cd9f31f8bda5d28e79f4c12c.png

Looks to be someone's attempt to prevent a buffer overflow intentionally or unintentionally.  I suspect one of the parameters being passed in to the function causes the failure - like the buff_start or end_of_buffer pointers are incorrect.

Good find.  Thank you.

• Thanks 1

Files are being saved from one unraid server to another unraid server using the remote share of UD. but then some of the files are not visible to the client after that. It looks like its only a random read issue of the files for me.

27 minutes ago, bob65473 said:

Files are being saved from one unraid server to another unraid server using the remote share of UD. but then some of the files are not visible to the client after that. It looks like its only a random read issue of the files for me.

Yes, it is related to listing files and directories.  I occurs with the File Manager in the UD UI and in the cli.

• Upvote 1

I can add fuel on the fire -i had this issue too and realized it when sonarr started mass removing stuff saying it couldn't find it 

I upgraded to .9 a little bit ago and started seeing these flood in intermittently.   I have rolled back to .8 successfully.

Edited by Thunder7ga

I am also seeing this error when I rsync my data to my backup machine. Downgraded without issue. 

For those downgrading I only see the option to downgrade to .5, are you downgrading to .5 and then re-upgrading to .8?  Or is there someway to just downgrade to .8?

17 minutes ago, EvilNuff said:

For those downgrading I only see the option to downgrade to .5, are you downgrading to .5 and then re-upgrading to .8?  Or is there someway to just downgrade to .8?

I downgraded directly to .8.

• Upvote 1

The downgrade option uses the "last version you were running" so if you did an upgrade from .5 straight to .9 that's what it'll offer. 

I  am also seeing this error when I rsync my data from my unraid-main to my unraid-backup machine. Downgraded without issue. 

I get this error, and have been getting this error for some time now, I only discovered it because I set up a separate syslog server on another machine just screwing around. I don't read syslogs unless I have a real problem. I haven't tried a downgrade, I'd frankly just like to skip that if I could. 

I got this error as well. I have a synology nas mounted in the unraid using unassigned device.
    This error caused a lot of my movies to disappear from Plex on unraid. Rolled back to .8 and the missing movies appeared again but Plex had to regenerate all thumbnails and all the other stuff. That took a while.

I went ahead and unmounted all my SMB network shares, totaling 4 going to truenas, OMV, OMV on a PI and my local hard disk, and my unassigned devices as well and the CIFS errors stopped.

On 3/27/2024 at 3:45 PM, dlandon said:

I am able to reproduce the issue.  It appears when you remote mount a share from a server that is not another Unraid.

I am only doing remote shares between two unraid servers (shares in both directions).

One server gets the error, the other does not.   

Aside from the errors in the log I have not seen any problems with using the shares. 

Don't know if it helps, but I'm attaching diagnostics from both servers.

holmes gets the error

watson does not

holmes-diagnostics-20240402-0616.zip watson-diagnostics-20240402-0619.zip

Edited by broncosaddict
    On 3/28/2024 at 10:34 AM, dlandon said:

Looks to be someone's attempt to prevent a buffer overflow intentionally or unintentionally.  I suspect one of the parameters being passed in to the function causes the failure - like the buff_start or end_of_buffer pointers are incorrect.

Good find.  Thank you.

@dlandon, Any thoughts on when this issue is going to be resolved?  I know that I will not be upgrading from 6.12.8 until it is.

• Like 2
    2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

v6.12.10 should be out soon with a fix.

Great to hear, thank you!

Also seeing this too, brand new install, first time unraid user, copying from smb to unraid smb, have missing files and folders, thought I was going crazy at first, annoying as I was making a move from another pc to this unraid one 

Please update to 6.12.10-rc.1.  It should fix this issue.  It's available on "Next".

• Like 3

Could somebody just clarify, I've seen a few comments saying the data is still there on the drive and did reappear when rolling back, I've now updated to 6.12.10-rc1 but the data isn't there, files and folders still missing, unable to tell if they're there and hidden or not

Feel like I'm going to be wasting another few hours checking to see if a full transfer has happened. 

Edited by anotherdud3
    9 hours ago, anotherdud3 said:

Could somebody just clarify, I've seen a few comments saying the data is still there on the drive and did reappear when rolling back, I've now updated to 6.12.10-rc1 but the data isn't there, files and folders still missing, unable to tell if they're there and hidden or not

Feel like I'm going to be wasting another few hours checking to see if a full transfer has happened. 

The best we can tell is that this problem manifests itself in files and folders not showing up in a remote mount in any listings on the mount.  Depending on the application accessing the mount and the actions taken by the applicaton when files and folders don't show, the results can be very weird.  For example, you transfer a file to a remote share and the application doesn't find the file causiung the application to act on a file not found.

The files and folders seem to physically be there, but don't show in listings on the share.  At this point, we can't say for sure whether or not your files and folders are actually there short of upgrading to 6.12.10-rc.1 and looking through directories, or initiating your file transfers again just to be sure.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

The best we can tell is that this problem manifests itself in files and folders not showing up in a remote mount in any listings on the mount.  Depending on the application accessing the mount and the actions taken by the applicaton when files and folders don't show, the results can be very weird.  For example, you transfer a file to a remote share and the application doesn't find the file causiung the application to act on a file not found.

The files and folders seem to physically be there, but don't show in listings on the share.  At this point, we can't say for sure whether or not your files and folders are actually there short of upgrading to 6.12.10-rc.1 and looking through directories, or initiating your file transfers again just to be sure.

I don't fully trust this now, I'll have to go a different way to transfer data, don't have the time to be checking terrabytes worth of data to see if it all copied over correctly and possibly adding duplicates I can't see too. 

Just for further info, I did upgrade, rebooted, disk checked the effected disk, still the same, missing files and folders that I done as a mass copy with other files and folders in one go, not individually. 

Edited by anotherdud3