VirtualBox in unRAID

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which webserver have you installed? SimpleFeatures? If yes then you can access the web server settings via unRAID WEBUI.

Check what port and where your web server root folder is.

That is where you should unzip the phpvirtualbox package to.

then access it via: http://[your unRAID IP]:[WebServer Port]/[phpvirtualbox folder under web server root]

I'm now on 5.0.3, and starting my unraid VM I got a kernel PANIC!

See attached images, anyone else see this ? this have been working flawless on previous unraid releases..

a better size of the image : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46562247/IMG_0362.JPG

it's happen 3 times, now i'm afraid if it have cause any damage on my drives ??, parity check for the third time is running ..........

//Peter

IMG_0362.gif.2a632279ba7a06431894a4df79d3cecb.gif

Yes,  running on my second box with the Supermicro-H8DM8E-2, as soon as I moved to 5.0.3  I had kernel panics anytime vboxwebsrv was running.  I could not start any VMs without introducing the panic.  Things worked 100% stable under 5.0  so I reverted back.

I can run 5.0.3 and it appears to be stable for me as long as I disable vboxwebsrv .

I didn't tested it yet, but I'm wondering if you didn't got such problems on 5.0.1? Since kernel was updated on 5.0.1, and looking at changelog seems strange that changes on 5.0.2 and 5.0.3 could cause it?

Also are you running VirtualBox 4.3.2? Same VirtualBox version before the problems?

I will also try it soon.

I'm now on 5.0.3, and starting my unraid VM I got a kernel PANIC!

See attached images, anyone else see this ? this have been working flawless on previous unraid releases..

a better size of the image : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46562247/IMG_0362.JPG

it's happen 3 times, now i'm afraid if it have cause any damage on my drives ??, parity check for the third time is running ..........

//Peter

The Realtek driver was updated in 5.0.3 and your m/b uses a Realtek chip........ 

I do also have Realtek and just recompiled virtualbox (4.3.2) package myself on unraid 5.0.3 and no problem at all, my vm's start and work without any problem or error shown on syslog. Maybe you just need to recompile it on 5.0.3 really due to some changes on kernel config/patches from 5.0.2?

One small issue I did found is on phpVirtualBox when I go to File -> Preferences it shows "Loading..." page forever and I need to reload page on browser, though I guess it may be a phpVirtualBox bug?

Edit: It may be related to this: http://sourceforge.net/p/phpvirtualbox/bugs/7/

Anyone that have compiled vbox with 5.0.3? if so, can it be up loaded somewhere for DL ?

//Peter

You can download my package at http://nars.aloj.net/temp/unraid/

however please note that there is a small difference on it from lainie packages: the installer script on my package doesn't link configuration dir /root/.VirtualBox to /boot/custom/vbox then you may need to do it before running vboxwebsrv... just:

ln -sf /boot/custom/vbox /root/.VirtualBox

Edit: If you use the virtualbox unraid plugin the link will not be an issue, as I did looked at the plugin code and I can see that it actually gets rid of the link created by lainie packages, and then re-recreates it to the user specified directory.

I have my configuration  here  /mnt/cache/VirtualBox/vbox

@ ironicbadger I have been on ESXI couple of time, but I alway come back on stock unraid  ;)

some thing I would like to see is

1: make it possible to sleep the "hypervisor"

2: UPS easy of use, is this done ?

However I'm very interesting to try  Xen or KVM !!  8)

I think we shall decide only one hypervisor , so Tom can focus to implement it in the kernel, but we must decide what we shall use, much better if you tell what is the best one  ;D

//Peter

No need to decide on one specific. The kernel flags have to be enabled for both sure, but it's up to the user which they install.

I think KVM is potentially more user friendly for now due to the libvirt library support but both projects are open source and the support for webGUIs to manage the VMs will change from release to release.

Making stock unraid into the dom0 OS is the only sane path in this regard. I haven't looked into it but I'm sure you can install xen or KVM natively in Slackware already. Try it!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reason for VirtualBox is just probably because it is a lot easier to get it working :)  But sure KVM / Xen would be interesting.

bullsh*t. i just got unraid working in KVM in 10 mins flat.

Well if you want to make a step-by-step on how to get KVM working on unRaid in 10 mins it would be welcome ;)

+1 to a separate thread for a guide on that topic.

That is great that it was easy for you, ironicbadger. Not everyone has the same background, knowledge or technical abilities here. Things that seem simple to one person can cause hair loss and many curses to the next. Please share your knowledge as opposed to just stating how easy it was for you.

Reason for VirtualBox is just probably because it is a lot easier to get it working :)  But sure KVM / Xen would be interesting.

bullsh*t. i just got unraid working in KVM in 10 mins flat.

Don't want unRAID working in KVM.  Want KVM working on top of unRAID.  Big difference.  I have ESXi on three servers but have thought about switching to XEN or KVM for them.  Just can't avoid the time it would take to get the setup done for KVM.  I also have VirtualBox installed on unRAID on my N54L.