VirtualBox in unRAID

gfjardim

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

filefactory.com should do the trick.  If you havent used it, itll give you a link to give people when its done.

thanks for that.  Im sure itll be a big help

I'm not willing to post it to a public site unless you can point me to specific policy in the virtualbox license or their site that says it's ok to redistribute modified compilations. If you personally have an ftp site or server I can upload it to, I'll send it to you. I am NOT willing to share it at large unless someone with the authority to say so says it's ok. And no, even if an upload site says the files are only available to the person(s) with the direct link, the files are still available publicly, or so the megaupload case seems to say.

So, get me permission from virtualbox to post it, or access to a site controlled by you.

Sorry to be this way. I just don't want to expose myself to copyright liability.

Well I must say, I was very hopeful of this...  My VM is easily twice as fast as it was before...  this version appears better in every way...

However...  it still hangs during the format stage.  I am attempting to install Windows 7 32 bit.  When i get to the paritition part, its listed as 45GB unallocated, which is correct, I click next as usual and w7 circle just spins and spins....

Any ideas?

EDIT  it also appears that stopping the VM hangs too...  28% just like before

OK so heres the deal....

As a test, I decided to install XP rather than windows 7.  But I changed the chipset from IPP 3 (or whatever it says) to ICH.  I also noticed that when installed XP, its default is an IDE drive and not a sata drive....

INterestingly, I can stop the VM too....  so all seems well

So I went back to install windows 7, only this time, I changed the chipset to ICH and deleted the sata controller it wanted to use and replaced it with IDE.  And IT WORKS!

Which setting fixed it?  I am not sure.  The fact is I really dont care.  I cannot believe no one else had this issue.....

It looks like someone accidentally left the last digit of their IP address in a cut and paste. Try it without the extraneous 1. 

It was not an extra character.  It is shell syntax to re-direct file-descriptor 1 (standard output) to /dev/null. 

Then

2>&1

re-directs file descriptor 2 (stderr output) to the same place as file-descriptor 1. (also to /dev/null)

It looks like someone accidentally left the last digit of their IP address in a cut and paste. Try it without the extraneous 1. 

It was not an extra character.  It is shell syntax to re-direct file-descriptor 1 (standard output) to /dev/null. 

Then

2>&1

re-directs file descriptor 2 (stderr output) to the same place as file-descriptor 1. (also to /dev/null)

So what is my line doing? I thought it was directing all output to /dev/null

vboxwebsrv -H 192.168.117.30>/dev/null 2>&1 &

and I really didn't know why the rest was there, but I used it because it was in the example I built from.

filefactory.com should do the trick.  If you havent used it, itll give you a link to give people when its done.

I'm not willing to post it to a public site unless you can point me to specific policy in the virtualbox license or their site that says it's ok to redistribute modified compilations.

Sorry to be this way. I just don't want to expose myself to copyright liability.

The VBox is GPL licensed if compiled without the extrapack, so it's safe to post a precompiled package here.

I'm not willing to post it to a public site unless you can point me to specific policy in the virtualbox license or their site that says it's ok to redistribute modified compilations.

The VBox is GPL licensed if compiled without the extrapack, so it's safe to post a precompiled package here.

The key statement here is "if compiled without the extrapack".

I installed the extras before I packaged up my .tgz, so I can't post it, correct?

Then

2>&1

So what is my line doing? I thought it was directing all output to /dev/null

vboxwebsrv -H 192.168.117.30>/dev/null 2>&1 &

and I really didn't know why the rest was there, but I used it because it was in the example I built from.

> /dev/null

and

1> /dev/null

are equivalent.  If you do not specify a file descriptor, "1" (stdout) is assumed for the ">" operator.

In the same way, "0" (stdin) is assumed for the "<" operator if no file-descriptor is specified.

If you had typed

2> /dev/null

then stderr  (file-descriptor 2) would be sent to /dev/null

If you had typed:

5> /dev/null

then file-descriptor 5 would be sent to /dev/null. (FD 5 is not usually in use unless you sent output to it.)

Hi all - inexperienced linux man so please bare with me!

I'm on 5b14 and the header script fails, I think because the src kernel folder is not /usr/src/linux but is /usr/src/linux-3.1.1-unRAID. I assume the 3.1.1 kernel should also be used too? So - assuming the answer is yes I adjusted the script which seemed to go okay (3.1.1 kernel and changes the src folder to 'linux').

Th virtualbox install however showed the following issues:

Verifying archive integrity... All good.

Uncompressing VirtualBox for Linux installation...........

VirtualBox Version 4.1.8 r75467 (2011-12-19T13:08:07Z) installer

Installing VirtualBox to /opt/VirtualBox

[glow=red,2,300]ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/share/pixmaps/VBox.png': No such file or directory

ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/share/pixmaps/virtualbox.png': No such file or directory

ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/share/mime/packages/virtualbox.xml': No such file or directory[/glow]

Python found: python, installing bindings...

Building the VirtualBox kernel modules

VirtualBox has been installed successfully.

I assume this is a problem!! I've created the package and will try re-booting, assuming the package avoids the need for symbolic links?

Now, I ended up with a package in the folder I where I ran the scripts. When running that I get:

oot@unRAID:/mnt/cache/vboxunraid# installpkg VirtualBox-4.0.6-unRAID.tgz

Verifying package VirtualBox-4.0.6-unRAID.tgz.

Installing package VirtualBox-4.0.6-unRAID.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

Executing install script for VirtualBox-4.0.6-unRAID.tgz.

[glow=red,2,300]ln: creating symbolic link `/root/.VirtualBox/vbox': Operation not permitted[/glow]

Package VirtualBox-4.0.6-unRAID.tgz installed.

Any help very gratefully received! Thank you to all for your hard work and assistance!

Thanks!

Alex

Can Virtual box utilize additional H/W that Unraid doesn't  For example if I have multiple nics, I know unraid uses just the first card, however can I assign additional cards to a VM (seperate connections for traffic balancing?)  How about sound cards (USB/Onboard or PCI?)  Anyone doing anything like this?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - inexperienced linux man so please bare with me!

I'm on 5b14 and the header script fails, I think because the src kernel folder is not /usr/src/linux but is /usr/src/linux-3.1.1-unRAID. I assume the 3.1.1 kernel should also be used too? So - assuming the answer is yes I adjusted the script which seemed to go okay (3.1.1 kernel and changes the src folder to 'linux').

Th virtualbox install however showed the following issues:

Verifying archive integrity... All good.

Uncompressing VirtualBox for Linux installation...........

VirtualBox Version 4.1.8 r75467 (2011-12-19T13:08:07Z) installer

Installing VirtualBox to /opt/VirtualBox

[glow=red,2,300]ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/share/pixmaps/VBox.png': No such file or directory

ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/share/pixmaps/virtualbox.png': No such file or directory

ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/share/mime/packages/virtualbox.xml': No such file or directory[/glow]

Python found: python, installing bindings...

Building the VirtualBox kernel modules

VirtualBox has been installed successfully.

I assume this is a problem!! I've created the package and will try re-booting, assuming the package avoids the need for symbolic links?

Now, I ended up with a package in the folder I where I ran the scripts. When running that I get:

oot@unRAID:/mnt/cache/vboxunraid# installpkg VirtualBox-4.0.6-unRAID.tgz

Verifying package VirtualBox-4.0.6-unRAID.tgz.

Installing package VirtualBox-4.0.6-unRAID.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

Executing install script for VirtualBox-4.0.6-unRAID.tgz.

[glow=red,2,300]ln: creating symbolic link `/root/.VirtualBox/vbox': Operation not permitted[/glow]

Package VirtualBox-4.0.6-unRAID.tgz installed.

Any help very gratefully received! Thank you to all for your hard work and assistance!

Thanks!

Alex

I'm also an inexperienced Linux guy, and I'm running into the exact same issue.  I ran through the steps here using the 3.1.1 kernel, and my results are the exact same as Alex's!  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi All,

I followed the wiki without issues, shutdown and power up the server again, install the vbox-unRAID.tgz package without warnings, but then I can't continue.

This is the output of the putty session:

Tower login: root

Password:

Linux 2.6.32.9-unRAID.

root@Tower:~# cd /boot

root@Tower:/boot# installpkg vbox-unRAID.tgz

Verifying package vbox-unRAID.tgz.

Installing package vbox-unRAID.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

Executing install script for vbox-unRAID.tgz.

Package vbox-unRAID.tgz installed.

root@Tower:/boot# VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null

/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxManage: error: Failed to initialize COM!

root@Tower:/boot# vboxwebsrv -H 192.168.1.131 1>/dev/null 2>&1 &

[1] 13343

root@Tower:/boot#

When I try to access the vm through phpVirtualBox I'm asked for the logging details, use 'vbox' and 'pass' (as in the confif.php file) and then get the error message:

Could not connect to host (http://127.0.0.1:18083/)

Am I getting this error because of the failed VBoxManage command? How can I fix this?

thanks in advance guys!

Hi All,

I followed the wiki without issues, shutdown and power up the server again, install the vbox-unRAID.tgz package without warnings, but then I can't continue.

Password:

Linux 2.6.32.9-unRAID.

root@Tower:~# cd /boot

root@Tower:/boot# installpkg vbox-unRAID.tgz

Verifying package vbox-unRAID.tgz.

Installing package vbox-unRAID.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

Executing install script for vbox-unRAID.tgz.

Package vbox-unRAID.tgz installed.

root@Tower:/boot# VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null

root@Tower:/boot# vboxwebsrv -H 192.168.1.131 1>/dev/null 2>&1 &

[1] 13343

root@Tower:/boot#

When I try to access the vm through phpVirtualBox I'm asked for the logging details, use 'vbox' and 'pass' (as in the confif.php file) and then get the error message:

Am I getting this error because of the failed VBoxManage command? How can I fix this?

thanks in advance guys!

I started again from scrap and now it's working! I'm going to try and set up my first vm

ok. it didn't work... I followed the wiki instructions and get it to work, including php access and RDP from my laptop, but when I shut down the server to test whether it re-installs over reboots, it didn't work.

I tried the whole installation procedure twice to check that I made the VBox packager right, but no success: I don't get it to make it permanent over reboots.

Password:

Linux 2.6.32.9-unRAID.

root@Tower:~# cd /mnt/disk/apps/vbox

root@Tower:/mnt/disk/apps/vbox# installpkg vbox-4.1.8-75467-unRAID.tgz

Verifying package vbox-4.1.8-75467-unRAID.tgz.

Installing package vbox-4.1.8-75467-unRAID.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

Executing install script for vbox-4.1.8-75467-unRAID.tgz.

Package vbox-4.1.8-75467-unRAID.tgz installed.

root@Tower:/mnt/disk/apps/vbox# vboxwebsrv -H 127.0.0.1 1>/dev/null 2>&1 &

[1] 23879

I then tried to connect to phpVirtualBox and get the error message:

I then tried to set the authentication mode to null and get an error:

root@Tower:/mnt/disk/apps/vbox# VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null

What am I doing wrong? I have spent the whole weekend on this and still doesn't work!

Please help  :'( :'(

It didn't work

root@Tower:/mnt/disk/apps/vbox# vboxwebsrv -H 192.168.1.131 1>/dev/null 2>&1 & 

[1] 19038

Everything fine, but I couldn't access the phpVirtualBox webpage, getting the error:

I tried then to set the authoritation mode and get an error and stop of the vboxserver

root@Tower:/mnt/disk/apps/vbox# VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null

[1]+  Exit 3                  vboxwebsrv -H 192.168.1.131 >/dev/null 2>&1

I just don't get it. I can install it and make it work, compile the package without issues, but I can't make it work over reboots ???

Archived