How is everyone backing up their appdata?

I'm trying to get some incremental backups of my appdata share offsite, and I'm running into some permissions issues.  My LS.IO Sonarr docker, for example, won't let me copy portions of the folder because I don't have access:

image.thumb.png.df7be51bb8dbfd844467fcfa31dd28d7.png

Naturally I could just run a chown 777 on the appdata folder before doing my backups, but I worry about that messing up data in the containers.  Is there something I'm missing here?  I know I can't be the only one who's backing up their appdata: how is everyone else accomplishing this?

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

NO

What do you mean by "offsite" exactly? The paths in your screenshot don't correspond to any Unraid paths.

That screenshot is from a VM: I've got the shares mounted via fstab entries and authenticated as an Unraid user.  I'm trying to use that VM to create a script to backup the appdata share to another machine I have elsewhere.

Edited by gstacks13
49 minutes ago, Squid said:

Why not do it on the server itself?  Much easier, and you don't need to worry about permissions

A few reasons: 1) no apt or yum support leaves me limited in my backup options; 2) I don't want to have the Unraid server itself be externally facing; 3) I don't love promenading around in a terminal as root unless I really have to; and 4) I've already got some other scripts running on the VM, so I'd like to keep them all consolidated if possible.

Is it possible to authenticate a samba share as root? A quick test gave me a permission denied. If it's not possible, then I may have no choice than to do it on the server itself.

14 minutes ago, trurl said:

CA Backup plugin.

From what I've read this doesn't back up remotely or do incremental, both features that I'd love to have.  Please correct me if I'm wrong on either of these facts.

Edited by gstacks13
21 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

It can if you mount a remote path with Unassigned Devices.

Oh wow, I didn't know that was an option.  Cool, I'll definitely look into that!  I'll still miss incremental a tad, but the ease of use plus the ability to compress will soften that blow considerably.

Thanks for the help everyone!  It's much appreciated!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gstacks13 said:

Oh wow, I didn't know that was an option.  Cool, I'll definitely look into that!  I'll still miss incremental a tad, but the ease of use plus the ability to compress will soften that blow considerably.

I would keep latest backup locally (from CA backup), you could then do incremental backups to a remote location based off the local backup.

If you really don't want to keep the local backup, you could remove after the remote backup is complete.