[Plugin] Intel-GVT-g

6 hours ago, Marty56 said:

is there a chance that I can revert the installation by deleting some files on the usb dongle on a different linux machine?

as its installing fresh on very boot, yes, goto /config/plugins/... and remove the gvt-g plugin ...

but actually you may should post a screen where its stuck as its not common ... to prevent a boot.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello - i have an i7-10700 with no dedicated GPU, just the intel iGPU. I always have a Windows 11 VM running though most of the time it's idling (i.e. not being actively accessed, and the only program running in Win11 GPU will be Chrome with 50-100 tabs open). I followed the below Plex container instructions to have my iGPU be used for Plex HW encoding, but I am having poor VM performance so i want to see if my iGPU can be used for both Win11 VM and Plex container. I have a few questions:

1. Will this plugin allow me to dynamically use my intel iGPU for both docker and VM hardware acceleration?
  2. Can Plex and the VM simulataneously access the iGPU? If not, what if the Win11 VM is running but not being accessed by Anydesk or noVNC (the two primary remote clients I use), does that allow Plex to use the iGPU for hardware acceleration?
  3. Should i be following the steps outlined in the 2nd post to achieve this ability this dual Plex docker + Win11 VM hardware acceleration?
  4. Do i need to undo anything related to the settings below (i.e. "modprobe i915") before I install the Intel gvt-p plugin?

Intel GPU Use
Edit your go file to include:
modprobe i915
, save and reboot, then 
add --device=/dev/dri to "extra parameters" (switch on advanced view)

5 hours ago, Linguafoeda said:
  • Will this plugin allow me to dynamically use my intel iGPU for both docker and VM hardware acceleration?
  •  

yes, like described in Post 1 (Header)

• Can Plex and the VM simulataneously access the iGPU? If not, what if the Win11 VM is running but not being accessed by Anydesk or noVNC (the two primary remote clients I use), does that allow Plex to use the iGPU for hardware acceleration?
  •  

yes, and rest is obsolete as it works simultan ...

• Should i be following the steps outlined in the 2nd post to achieve this ability this dual Plex docker + Win11 VM hardware acceleration?
  •  

yes

1. Do i need to undo anything related to the settings below (i.e. "modprobe i915") before I install the Intel gvt-p plugin?

remove that, install the intel gpu top plugin and the gvt-g plugin, will do all that for you ...

and yes, also will keep plex working ;)

may as final reminder, once you have it running, beware that RDP usage likes to crash a Server due vram overloading ... so rather use streamer apps like parsec then (works flawlessly here).

RDP issue, especially when the client resolution is higher then 1920*1080 ... which is pretty common nowadays.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, alturismo said:

yes, like described in Post 1 (Header)

yes, and rest is obsolete as it works simultan ...

yes

remove that, install the intel gpu top plugin and the gvt-g plugin, will do all that for you ...

and yes, also will keep plex working ;)

may as final reminder, once you have it running, beware that RDP usage likes to crash a Server due vram overloading ... so rather use streamer apps like parsec then (works flawlessly here).

RDP issue, especially when the client resolution is higher then 1920*1080 ... which is pretty common nowadays.

thank you - i actually checked my go file and it only had the below entries (i think related to enabling PUTTY SSH with key) and i also had INTEL-GPU-TOP (version 2023.09.13) already installed. Would i need to remove the "--device=/dev/dri" from the Plex container parameters after i install the gvt-g plugin?

Also - does that mean if i enable this i wont be able to right click on the VM icon in the dashboard and use the "noVNC" viewer going forward? I use that pretty often from my work PC since i can't install other remote clients on my work PC. How about Anydesk, will that program work with this? I dont have parsec or use it because there's no ipad app + many of my other remote desktop clients use anydesk so I try to stay on that platform.

/boot/config/go 
#!/bin/bash
#Start the Management Utility 
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &
echo 1 > /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run
mkdir /root/.ssh
chmod 700 /root/.ssh
cp /boot/config/ssh/authorized_keys /root/.ssh/
chmod 600 /root/.ssh/authorized_keys

Edited by Linguafoeda
2 minutes ago, Linguafoeda said:

Would i need to remove the "--device=/dev/dri" from the Plex container parameters after i install the gvt-g plugin?

nope, the vgpu which gvt-g creates has nothing todo with it ...

2 minutes ago, Linguafoeda said:

Also - does that mean if i enable this i wont be able to right click on the VM icon in the dashboard and use the "noVNC" viewer going forward? I use that pretty often from my work PC since i can't install other remote clients on my work PC. How about Anydesk, will that program work with this? I dont have parsec or use it because there's no ipad app + many of my other remote desktop clients use anydesk so I try to stay on that platform.

anydesk should also work, but noVNC as sample wont really benefit from hardware accel graphics, anydesk may does ...

try it ... ;)

so try it out and you will see the results, may benefit a little as the app itself inside the VM may benefit from hw acc. ... but noVNC will be "as is" ...

may ... just go ahead and stop the VM, Backup the vdisk image, backup the VM Template (xml view, copy it over)

give gvt-g a try ... look how it will work out in your usecase ... if all works and you are happy, wipe the backup, if not ...
or something fails ... just remove gvt-g, replace your vdisk with your backup, replace your xml with your backup,
all like it never happened before ... ;)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, alturismo said:

nope, the vgpu which gvt-g creates has nothing todo with it ...

anydesk should also work, but noVNC as sample wont really benefit from hardware accel graphics, anydesk may does ...

try it ... ;)

so try it out and you will see the results, may benefit a little as the app itself inside the VM may benefit from hw acc. ... but noVNC will be "as is" ...

may ... just go ahead and stop the VM, Backup the vdisk image, backup the VM Template (xml view, copy it over)

give gvt-g a try ... look how it will work out in your usecase ... if all works and you are happy, wipe the backup, if not ...
or something fails ... just remove gvt-g, replace your vdisk with your backup, replace your xml with your backup,
all like it never happened before ... ;)

great - i will try that.

Is it necessary to do step 15 and 16 to disable display 1 ("Show only on 2")? What would happen if you don't do that, would that let you still access the machine via noVNC?

Also in noticed in the intel gvt-g plugin page, it gives me the below two options. Is there a way to run 2560x1440p resolution like i was without iGPU HW accel?

i915-GVTg_V5_4: VMEM: <128MB, 512MB>, up to 1920x1200
i915-GVTg_V5_8: VMEM: <64MB, 384MB>, up to 1024x768

4 minutes ago, Linguafoeda said:

Also in noticed in the intel gvt-g plugin page, it gives me the below two options. Is there a way to run 2560x1440p resolution like i was without iGPU HW accel?

well ...  i wouldnt do it, see my comment about Server crashing due vram issue for the iGPU ...

as your system onl yreports max those 2 ... i wouldnt go further ... also, all that can happen is a bad Server crash followed by a hard reboot ... and a unclean shutdown which then may result in a parity check etc etc etc ...

5 minutes ago, Linguafoeda said:

Is it necessary to do step 15 and 16 to disable display 1 ("Show only on 2")? What would happen if you don't do that, would that let you still access the machine via noVNC?

may just read the instructions, decide what you wish todo, test it ... and you will see the result.

makes no sense now to me to go step by step ... ;)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, alturismo said:

well ...  i wouldnt do it, see my comment about Server crashing due vram issue for the iGPU ...

as your system onl yreports max those 2 ... i wouldnt go further ... also, all that can happen is a bad Server crash followed by a hard reboot ... and a unclean shutdown which then may result in a parity check etc etc etc ...

may just read the instructions, decide what you wish todo, test it ... and you will see the result.

makes no sense now to me to go step by step ... ;)

so i installed it and it properly shows in task manager but the improvement isnt terribly better than without it. are there any tuning settings to improve the video performance? it still lags while playing web videos for example

41 minutes ago, Linguafoeda said:

so i installed it and it properly shows in task manager but the improvement isnt terribly better than without it. are there any tuning settings to improve the video performance? it still lags while playing web videos for example

You are talking about the VNC screen correct? If yes, try Parsec to log in since VNC is not HW accelerated whatsover.

Just now, ich777 said:

You are talking about the VNC screen correct? If yes, try Parsec to log in since VNC is not HW accelerated whatsover.

I'm using anydesk (with direct3d HW acceleration selected in Display settings) and followed the steps to disable screen 1 too

As a side note - i know have a weird issue where i can't disable the remote mouse cursor in anydesk anymore so i have the annoying mouse trailing constantly. Might be an anydesk bug, but i didn't have that when i wasn't using gvt-g plugin

11 minutes ago, Linguafoeda said:

I'm using anydesk (with direct3d HW acceleration selected in Display settings) and followed the steps to disable screen 1 too

I'm not sure if that is equivalent to Parsec...

You could also try RustDesk. ;)

22 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I'm not sure if that is equivalent to Parsec...

You could also try RustDesk. ;)

I just tried the native RDP client and its much speedier / snappier than anydesk, which is awesome! The only issue remaining is i don't know how to connect remotely with RDP when im not on the local LAN (i can't install a VPN on devices like my work PC which accesses the VM), so i will have to use the slower Anydesk for that

4 hours ago, Linguafoeda said:

I just tried the native RDP client and its much speedier / snappier than anydesk, which is awesome! The only issue remaining is i don't know how to connect remotely with RDP when im not on the local LAN (i can't install a VPN on devices like my work PC which accesses the VM), so i will have to use the slower Anydesk for that

Have you tried Guacamole? Don't know if it's fast enough for your purposes and whether it will do everything you want, but I found it OK and very easy to set up. (But in the end I went with Tailscale because I had other devices that I wanted to connect to in a consistent way.) Have never tried Parsec, so can't compare.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sonofdbn said:

Have you tried Guacamole? Don't know if it's fast enough for your purposes and whether it will do everything you want, but I found it OK and very easy to set up. (But in the end I went with Tailscale because I had other devices that I wanted to connect to in a consistent way.) Have never tried Parsec, so can't compare.

How does Tailscale compare to Parsec? The main thing i didn't like about Parsec was no iOS app to be able to access from my iPad.

Is there a way to change the default VNC viewer that appears upon right clicking a VM on the dashboard (since presumably noVNC now doesnt work after disabling Screen 1 in display properties?)

18 minutes ago, Linguafoeda said:

How does Tailscale compare to Parsec?

Sorry but the apps have nothing in common.

Can you at least just try it if it is quicker? Or RustDesk?

Tailscale is somewhat like a VPN and Parsec is like RDP.

20 minutes ago, Linguafoeda said:

Is there a way to change the default VNC viewer that appears upon right clicking a VM on the dashboard (since presumably noVNC now doesnt work after disabling Screen 1 in display properties?)

Sure you can connect with a VNC viewer to the port that is listed for the VM, but as said VNC is not HW accelerated and this is also out of the scope from this thread since it has not much to do with GVT-g, these are more basic VM questions that should be posted in the VM subforums.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I have an Intel I7-10700K. I have followed all the directions as closely as I could. 

Asus Bios:
    IGPU is set as primary in Asus bios, and multimonitor is enabled. I do have a Nvidia Quadro            P4000 installed as well. 

UNRAID:
VFIO not binded to any VFIO

Windows Server 2022:
    Machine Type: q35-7.2
    BIOS: SeaBIOS
    Graphics Card: Intel UHD Graphics

In the plugin, I have two modes available 
    i915-GVTg_V5_4
    i915-GVTg_V5_8

I've tried both mode but I'm getting device not found: mediated device '2a0ea9b5-b532-439d-a8a9-2ceb3ed8851b' not found. When I look in the syslog I'm seeing this.

Unraid kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] *ERROR* conflict detected with stolen region: [mem 0x3f800000-0x7f7fffff]
Unraid kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: Direct firmware load for i915/gvt/vid_0x8086_did_0x9bc5_rid_0x05.golden_hw_state failed with error -2
Unraid kernel: debugfs: Directory 'gvt' with parent '/' already present!
Unraid kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: MDEV: Registered
Unraid kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] Finished loading DMC firmware i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin (v1.4)
Unraid kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] failed to retrieve link info, disabling eDP
Unraid kernel: [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20201103 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 1
Unraid kernel: ACPI: video: Video Device [GFX0] (multi-head: yes  rom: no  post: no)
10:38:42 Unraid kernel: input: Video Bus as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0A08:00/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input13
10:38:42 Unraid kernel: fbcon: i915drmfb (fb0) is primary device
10:38:42 Unraid kernel: Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 240x67
10:38:42 Unraid kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] fb0: i915drmfb frame buffer device

Any help would be appreciated. 

diagnostics-20240307-1413.zip

Edited by LaurenCA
Forgot to include GPU
12 hours ago, LaurenCA said:

I have followed all the directions as closely as I could.

Please update your Unraid version to the latest stable 6.12.8 and also make sure to use the latest Machine Type in your template.

Do you have a screenshot from the plugin page please?

9 hours ago, ich777 said:

Please update your Unraid version to the latest stable 6.12.8 and also make sure to use the latest Machine Type in your template.

Do you have a screenshot from the plugin page please?

The machine type is set to Q35-7.2. After upgrading to 6.12. I looked at the config and the intel GPU was no longer attached to the Windows VM, after adding it, I am now seeing a different error that I haven't searched for yet. XML error: 'model' attribute in <hostdev> is only supported when type='pci'. Thanks for your help ich777!

Clipboard_03-08-2024_01.jpg

1 hour ago, LaurenCA said:

The machine type is set to Q35-7.2.

Why not set it to the latest one?

1 hour ago, LaurenCA said:

I looked at the config and the intel GPU was no longer attached to the Windows VM, after adding it

I would recommend that you reset your config and then try to strt the VM and see if it is working wothout the vGPU, after that you can try to add it again to the VM and see if it is working afterwards.

Please try to assign the one with the 4 at the end.

Maybe your BIOS is not fully compatible with GVT-g

47 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Attached is a screenshot. I thought this was the newest. 

Maybe your BIOS is not fully compatible with GVT-g.
That's possible. I'll look into that. 

image.png

5 hours ago, ich777 said:

I would recommend that you reset your config and then try to strt the VM and see if it is working wothout the vGPU, after that you can try to add it again to the VM and see if it is working afterwards.

Please try to assign the one with the 4 at the end.

Maybe your BIOS is not fully compatible with GVT-g

I was a version behind in my bios. Updated and everything is working as expected. Thank you very much ich777. 

• Like 2

Is there anything specific regarding using the Nvidia driver plugin with this plugin? Can they be used simultaneously? I have a couple docker containers that use a Nvidia p4000 while my Windows VM uses the IGPU using this plugin. After ich777 helped me get this working, my nvidia card has functioning when using the docker containers. I can't even upgrade the driver version in the Nvidia Driver Plugin. The card is showing in Unraid, but it's no longer functioning correctly. 

unraid-diagnostics-20240309-0918.zip