[Plugin] Intel-GVT-g

1 hour ago, oldAzzBstrd said:

1st Post is a year old....

Yes, but I would have edited it if so.

1 hour ago, oldAzzBstrd said:

Maybe there`s a workaround in the meantime to get it work on an 4th gen. ;-)

No, because 4th gen doesn‘t have the necessary hardware capabilities for GVT-g

• Thanks 1

i got the unraid 6.10.3 pro ,with CPU  intel J5005,but this plug result the message below:

GVT-g not supported

GVT-g is currently only supported on:

Client platforms: 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th Generation Intel® Core Processor Graphics
Server platforms: E3-v4, E3_v5, E3_v6, E-2xxx, W-12xx, W10xxx Intel® Processor Graphics

1 hour ago, Alex1989 said:

i got the unraid 6.10.3 pro ,with CPU  intel J5005,but this plug result the message below:

GVT-g not supported

GVT-g is currently only supported on:

Client platforms: 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th Generation Intel® Core Processor Graphics
Server platforms: E3-v4, E3_v5, E3_v6, E-2xxx, W-12xx, W10xxx Intel® Processor Graphics

Yes, because the Intel J5005 doesn't have non of the mentioned iGPUs, it has to be compatible Core or Xeon variant.

Hi everyone, hope someone can help.

I recently had to change my server's motherboard from Asus Z490-i to a Gigabyte Z490-i due to failure of the Asus MB.

The new Gigabyte MB supports the ability to manually set DVMT values.

What would be good DVMT values to set, in terms of the iGPU memory allocation, when using the server with an Intel i7-10700 CPU and 64GB of RAM?

I currently use the server to run Nextcloud, OpenHAB and Jellyfin.

Hi @ich777

Sorry, if you have already answered it (didn't found the answer on the first dozen pages - and I'm a noob, so it could just be that I didn't understood that I saw an answer, when I saw it), but I have a small question: I've an "HP ProDesk 600 G3 Mini DM Intel Core i5-6500T" on which I am going to run several dockers + HomeAssistant VM and would like to run a Windows 10 VM, which will be used as my daily driver. I have two monitors and would like to have the output directly on them (they will be plugged directly into the pc via DP). When I install your plugin, will it work like that? I've seen on the first pages a post with a USB grapics card, but didn't fully understand it.

At the moment I didn't even managed to get the "regular" APU passthrough, so that's why I am looking for possible solutions.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Doublemyst said:

When I install your plugin, will it work like that?

No, GVT-g is only a virtual GPU and is only meant for accelerating the video inside the VM but without any physical output to a Display, so to speak for using it with RDP or Parsec or your favorite Remote Desktop software.

6 minutes ago, Doublemyst said:

I've seen on the first pages a post with a USB grapics card, but didn't fully understand it.

However you can use a USB Dongle in combination which is capable of Display Link to mirror the accelerated display through GVT-g inside the VM and show the Display output through it.

8 minutes ago, Doublemyst said:

Core i5-6500T

Just to make you aware of that, I'm not sure if GVT-g is working properly on "T" series processors because they gave some users issues IIRC.

9 minutes ago, Doublemyst said:

At the moment I didn't even managed to get the "regular" APU passthrough, so that's why I am looking for possible solutions.

Passthrough from the iGPU, without a dedicated GPU built in can be a bit tricky and I would always recommend that you use a dGPU for a VM or at least a USB Display Link device for a VM, a Display Link device should work too for such a use case if I'm not mistaken, even if you don't have a GPU assigned to the VM but I've never tried that.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, ich777 said:

No, GVT-g is only a virtual GPU and is only meant for accelerating the video inside the VM but without any physical output to a Display, so to speak for using it with RDP or Parsec or your favorite Remote Desktop software.

However you can use a USB Dongle in combination which is capable of Display Link to mirror the accelerated display through GVT-g inside the VM and show the Display output through it.

Just to make you aware of that, I'm not sure if GVT-g is working properly on "T" series processors because they gave some users issues IIRC.

Passthrough from the iGPU, without a dedicated GPU built in can be a bit tricky and I would always recommend that you use a dGPU for a VM or at least a USB Display Link device for a VM, a Display Link device should work too for such a use case if I'm not mistaken, even if you don't have a GPU assigned to the VM but I've never tried that.

Hi @ich777

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you know, if there is a possibility to have this USB Display Link working but for two monitors? You are writing about mirror display - does it mean only 1 display output can be shown? In other words, is there a way to get two separate displays working independently (different stuff going on on the monitors) with a USB display link (or maybe two links - two USB links for two monitors :D?)?

Edited by Doublemyst
added additional information
7 minutes ago, Doublemyst said:

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you know, if there is a possibility to have this USB Display Link working but for two monitors? You are writing about mirror display - does it mean only 1 display output can be shown? In other words, is there a way to get two separate displays working independently (different stuff going on on the monitors) with a USB display link?

theoretically, yes

https://www.amazon.de/Adapter-kompatibel-Thunderbolt-Windows-Monitor/dp/B075ZNY2VM/ref=asc_df_B075ZNY2VM/?tag=googshopde-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=308465005572&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17053701209166406920&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9041818&hvtargid=pla-564168177761&psc=1&th=1&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=59786860765&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=308465005572&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17053701209166406920&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9041818&hvtargid=pla-564168177761

but ... high resolutions, multi display and gvt-g can also be ... 1st check if gvt-g is working fine, then check vram usage (described several times here in the thread), if that is all working properly ... then consider buying such a device, otherwise it may will end in a always crashing scenario and you spent money for nothing, also it would be preferable to have a passthrough PCIe USB Card instead passing through unraid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, atpx4869love said:

Hello, can you add support for the 12th generation CPU? At present, emby cannot use intel core display decoding, only vaapi can be used

No, please read the first recommended post on top of this thread.

I also don't understand what Intel-GVT-g has to do with that... GVT-g does nothing in terms of transcoding, GVT-g is used for VMs for vGPUs.

Please install Intel-GPU-TOP plugin.

You have to understand that the container maintainer has to ship the appropriate Intel Media Driver in the container so that QuickSync can work.

But why do you need QuickSync anyways? VA-API should work fine too even with tone mapping.

On 10/7/2022 at 12:07 AM, ich777 said:

不,请阅读此线程顶部的第一个推荐帖子。

我也不明白英特尔- GVT-g与此有什么关系...GVT-g 在转码方面没有任何作用,GVT-g 用于 vGPU 的虚拟机。

请安装英特尔-GPU-顶级插件。

您必须了解,容器维护者必须在容器中提供相应的英特尔媒体驱动程序,以便 QuickSync 可以正常工作。

但是,为什么还需要快速同步呢?即使使用音调映射,VA-API 也应该可以正常工作。

thx  :-)

• Like 1

Updated from 6.9.2 to 6.11.1 and plugin tells me that GVT-g is not in the kernel module. I followed the steps to add the line in the conf file. This was working in 6.9.2 before the upgrade, and it worked again after i reverted the update and went back to 6.9.2. Just curious if it is 6.11.1 that is the issue or I might have a plugin compatibility thing going on?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...