[Plugin] Intel-GVT-g

10 minutes ago, alecruise said:

Guys.. take a look at these findings: https://williamlam.com/2022/11/updated-findings-for-passthrough-of-intel-nuc-integrated-graphics-igpu.html

It seems that with recently released Intel drivers it is now possibile to pass Intel 11th gen iGPUs too!

But this has nothing to do with GVT-g nor with this plugin…

Intel 11th Gen+ is only capable of SRIOV, also mentioned a few pages back a few times and also in the recommended post on top of this thread.

1 hour ago, mrfly said:

i cant use it, i am at 6th gen but is says not support it. can u have a look?

Your iGPU isn't active, that's probably caused because you also have a Nvidia GPU in your system.

Please make sure that you've set it to the primary display adapter, if that also doesn't help, please connect a HDMI dummy plug to the iGPU <- I also have to do the same thing when I have a dGPU installed in my system, otherwise the iGPU won't be initialized even if I have set it to the primary display adapter.

48 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Your iGPU isn't active, that's probably caused because you also have a Nvidia GPU in your system.

Please make sure that you've set it to the primary display adapter, if that also doesn't help, please connect a HDMI dummy plug to the iGPU <- I also have to do the same thing when I have a dGPU installed in my system, otherwise the iGPU won't be initialized even if I have set it to the primary display adapter.

Thank you, thats the trick somehow the bios settings was not set right but i did change it and its works now like a charm👌

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, navvy said:

Any chance of getting this to work on the i5 11500? According to Intel it supports GVT-g not SR-IOV.

I'm not entirely sure if that information is actually true because ARK Intel says that you have Intel® UHD Graphics 750 and this is usually Intel Xe which only supports SR-IOV

GVT-g usually depends on the iGPU and IIRC only supported up to 9th iGPU gen. (6xx series iGPUs) <- yes iGPUs in the CPUs have different generations, pretty confusing... :D

Yes I’ve installed it and that was after spending time trying to get sriov operational. I’ve had sriov working on my Intel 10g nic and can’t get this igpu working the same way.  After researching and finding out it was Rocket Lake, figured it might just be the plug-in assumes all 11th gen are the same. Sriov doesn’t show as a supported function in lspci. 

Thanks for the help. 

55 minutes ago, navvy said:

After researching and finding out it was Rocket Lake, figured it might just be the plug-in assumes all 11th gen are the same. Sriov doesn’t show as a supported function in lspci. 

The driver itself actually probes if the iGPU is capable of GVT-g, please remember this thread has nothing to do with SR-IOV...

If it doesn't show up on the plugin page or better speaking tells you that GVT-g is not supported then you are out of luck for GVT-g.

• 4 weeks later...

This works pretty well, but I am running into a problem where the VM becomes unresponsive and cannot be forcefully destroyed. It also makes it near impossible for the VM and Dashboard to load when trying to navigate unraid since it attempts to get its status. I have to force restart the machine every couple days as a result.

I have other VMs running perfectly fine.

unraid-diagnostics-20230302-1702.zip

i use i9 9900ES (qqz5) , unraid 6.11.5
An error will be reported in the log every time the raid is restarted, "unraid kernel: CPU: 5 PID: 4677 Comm: modprobe Tainted: G U W 5.19.17-Unraid #2", This error occurred after 6.10.3

Although gvt-g can be used normally, as long as the windows virtual machine runs for a while, it will make another error, the entire vm option will not be turned on, and windows will also crash (I use the method of connecting the physical display with displaylink)

1 hour ago, insomnia417 said:

Although gvt-g can be used normally, as long as the windows virtual machine runs for a while, it will make another error, the entire vm option will not be turned on, and windows will also crash (I use the method of connecting the physical display with displaylink)

Are you sure that nothing is using up the assigned VRAM for GVT-g in the VM?

Usually crashes like you describe it if the assigned VRAM is exceeded.

An error will be reported in the log every time the raid is restarted, "unraid kernel: CPU: 5 PID: 4677 Comm: modprobe Tainted: G U W 5.19.17-Unraid #2", This error occurred after 6.10.3

Do you have a physical monitor connected to the iGPU, if not connect at least something like a HDMI Dummy Plug to the on board HDMI port to avoid this issue.

28 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Are you sure that nothing is using up the assigned VRAM for GVT-g in the VM?

Usually crashes like you describe it if the assigned VRAM is exceeded.

Do you have a physical monitor connected to the iGPU, if not connect at least something like a HDMI Dummy Plug to the on board HDMI port to avoid this issue.

maybe it is used up the VRAM , So is there any other way to keep the VM from crashing after running out of VRAM, or how to add more VRAM (my bios is max 2G VRAM now) or any other way?
OR the method of using displaylink to connect the physical display output itself is defective

40 minutes ago, insomnia417 said:

So is there any other way to keep the VM from crashing after running out of VRAM

Sadly enough no, this is a well known issue...

or how to add more VRAM (my bios is max 2G VRAM now) or any other way?

The answer is also no... :/

OR the method of using displaylink to connect the physical display output itself is defective

I don't think so, make at least sure that you use a HDMI Dummy Plug on the physical iGPU to prevent the messages in your syslog and to improve stability.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm here again. I recently upgraded my hardware to W1290P+W480M.

When using gvt-g, I added i915-GVTG_ V5_ 1. The VM reported an error "device not found: mediated device '1b23771a-fa20-4d8e-bd2e-7eaaf7d5ce3a' not found",

BUT,adding GVTG_ V5_ 2/4/8 can work normally.

This is my log. Please help me take a lookunraid-diagnostics-20230327-1506.zip

ps:The BIOS has already changed the RAM to 2048m

Edited by insomnia417

I added i915-GVTG_ V5_ 1

This mode is notorious to not work even if you change all the settings in the BIOS to the highest setting.

The VM reported an error "device not found: mediated device '1b23771a-fa20-4d8e-bd2e-7eaaf7d5ce3a' not found",

BUT,adding GVTG_ V5_ 2/4/8 can work normally.

This indicates that the above mentioned mode is not working and you can only use the next mode below.

15 hours ago, Seduron said:

It seems like that the iGPU and the Nvidia GPU changed the order:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Mar 27 18:18 /sys/class/drm/card0/device/driver -> ../../../../bus/pci/drivers/nvidia
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Mar 27 18:16 /sys/class/drm/card1/device/driver -> ../../../bus/pci/drivers/i915
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Mar 27 18:18 /sys/class/drm/renderD128/device/driver -> ../../../../bus/pci/drivers/nvidia
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Mar 27 18:16 /sys/class/drm/renderD129/device/driver -> ../../../bus/pci/drivers/i915

How did you specify the device in the Handbrake Docker container?

The  "Intel GPU-TOP" Plugin is installed.
i'v added the iGPU  in Handbrake as a "Device"  like this   "/dev/dri"
this added Device works  perfect in Handbrake without the gvt-g Plugin.

I think i  throw the Nvidia GPU out of the Server and try it again  this Week.

Edited by Seduron