[Plugin] Intel-GVT-g

3 hours ago, ich777 said:

Can you give me a little more information? Does it work?

One user posted that it doesn't work but I've actually never tried it with Windows 7.

It is recommended to install the latest version of Windows to get GVT-g working.

Unfortunately I won't be able to test it in my machine (contract work away from home).

That's the reason for my question.

Hopefully there's someone out there that will chime in and share the experience.

If it's confirmed to be compatible with Windows 7 then I'd be tempted to upgrade my 2-core processor and add more memory.

So far my server has only been used for storage and non-trans-coding media streaming.

Unfortunately I won't be able to test it in my machine (contract work away from home).
That's the reason for my question.
Hopefully there's someone out there that will chime in and share the experience.
If it's confirmed to be compatible with Windows 7 then I'd be tempted to upgrade my 2-core processor and add more memory.
So far my server has only been used for storage and non-trans-coding media streaming.

Just go with Windows 10 instead
1 hour ago, Lolight said:

As was the case with JoergHH, "Windows 10 is not an option" ☹️

I tried it now but I can't get the driver to install on my Intel UHD graphcis, I even tried the latest driver v15.45.5174 for Windows 7 but still nothing.

But it could also be that the UHD graphics are not really supported by Intel on Windows 7 anymore because I read a few threads online that other users have problems installing it on bare metal.

May I ask why you need Windows 7? Have you got an older application that is not compatible with Windows 10?

Keep in mind that even if you get it to work on Windows 7 you have to have install Ultimate or higher since otherwise the RDP server is not integrated (I know there are workarounds for this... :D ).

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

May I ask why you need Windows 7? Have you got an older application that is not compatible with Windows 10?

Keep in mind that even if you get it to work on Windows 7 you have to have install Ultimate

Call me stubborn (maybe just too old) but I can't stand the Windows 10 interface. 😬

2 minutes ago, Lolight said:

Call me stubborn (maybe just too old) but I can't stand the Windows 10 interface. 😬

I have to say, at first I was the same, but that changed quickly and as always in the tech world you have to stay up to date otherwise the migration to something completely new is always really difficult...

Also I find Windows 10 more performant on lower speced hardware than Windows 7.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, trurl said:

This would not be a good platform for the NAS functionality of Unraid 

Yup I already have a DS918+ for main storage.

The NUC is only for backup with 2 hard drives attached with USB-C and to run VMs and Containers

30 minutes ago, T13nou said:

2 hard drives attached with USB-C

As long as you don't expect to use parity in the array this may work out for you since if a USB disk is dropped it can't be out-of-sync since there is no parity to keep it in sync with.

1 minute ago, ich777 said:

11th Gen. isn't supported as time of writing.

And @trurl said a NUC isn't a great choice for Unraid...

Why not ? :)

Plenty of power in a small case, can run basic file storage system, VMs, containers... and much more easier than the one I've tested before like Proxmox or ESXi.

I know that's different use between unraid & hypervisors but for my needs it does it all and pretty easy !

Just now, T13nou said:

Why not ? :)

Because it's not implemented in the Kernel until now even in the newest one it's not implemented for 11th Gen.

Just now, T13nou said:

Plenty of power in a small case, can run basic file storage system, VMs, containers... and much more easier than the one I've tested before like Proxmox or ESXi.

Because a USB connection (even if it's USB TypeC) for the disks is always a bad decision and I think you are running 2.5" drivers connected to the NUC or am I wrong? If you wan't to use 3.5" Disks you also have to connect extra power to them.

32 minutes ago, trurl said:

As long as you don't expect to use parity in the array this may work out for you since if a USB disk is dropped it can't be out-of-sync since there is no parity to keep it in sync with.

And of course, not only can a dropped disk not be out of sync if you have no parity, but it also can't be rebuilt.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

i got all installed, but in log i get this:

Jun 13 09:12:59 Unraid kernel: Detected your guest driver doesn't support GVT-g.
Jun 13 09:12:59 Unraid kernel: Now vgpu 1 will enter failsafe mode.

Newest Intel driver is installed and gpu is used.

Connection is done with rdp.

Any hints ?

Thx

mgl

1 hour ago, mgl said:

Newest Intel driver is installed and gpu is used.

I think GVT-g is working or am I wrong?

1 hour ago, mgl said:

Jun 13 09:12:59 Unraid kernel: Detected your guest driver doesn't support GVT-g.
Jun 13 09:12:59 Unraid kernel: Now vgpu 1 will enter failsafe mode.

You can ignore this message, this message is displayed because on boot of the VM the driver inside the VM isn't loaded already, it is loaded after Windows is started. The same happens on a reboot of the VM.

Hope that makes sense to you...

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

I think GVT-g is working or am I wrong?

Yes, GVT-g is working.

Had only concerns about the message in the log.

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

You can ignore this message, this message is displayed because on boot of the VM the driver inside the VM isn't loaded already, it is loaded after Windows is started. The same happens on a reboot of the VM.

Hope that makes sense to you...

Thought something like that, makes total sense. Thx!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

Last month and a half i tried to use this plugin to "passtrough" the gpu to one of my vms. 

It was a nightmare because i was getting the damn write error everyday, forcing me to reboot the entire server to have the vms avaliable again. 

My little server is a Partaker B18 mini pc with intel i7 8850H cpu, intel UHD 630 gpu. 

I tried everything, i tried every combination of vm bios, of gvt configuration, of server bios, everything... and no results... 

But something came across my mind... i remembered that i forgot to install tips and tweaks plugin... i so i went ahead, installed the plugin and changed the "vm.dirty_background_ratio" to 1% and the "vm.dirty_ratio" to 2% because i remembered that we should use those values if we got any out of memory errors... The f*#@ vm is working for 2 weeks now and no more write errors, even when i put it under load... I don't know if it is coincidence, i really don't know if this is the solution but i believe that anyone with the same issue would love a new idea to try to fix this error that was driving me mad. 

Hope it helps someone! 

Edited by btagomes
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Meowcat285 said:

Hi, the plugin says my cpu is not supported, but I think it should be as it is a E-2246G and the addon says E-2xxx are supported. Diagnostics are attached.

This may be related to the GPU that is used in that CPU: 

Intel® UHD Graphics P630

Have to investigate a little further what the differences are...

i am trying to install this great plugin but there isn error during installation

plugin: installing: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ich777/intel-gvt-g/master/intel-gvt-g.plg
plugin: downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ich777/intel-gvt-g/master/intel-gvt-g.plg
plugin: downloading: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ich777/intel-gvt-g/master/intel-gvt-g.plg ... done
plugin: downloading: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ich777/intel-gvt-g/master/packages/gvt.g-2021.07.23.txz ... done

+==============================================================================
| Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/intel-gvt-g/gvt.g-2021.07.23.txz
+==============================================================================

Verifying package gvt.g-2021.07.23.txz.
Installing package gvt.g-2021.07.23.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
Package gvt.g-2021.07.23.txz installed.

--------------------Downloading Intel GVT-g----------------------
---This could take some time, please don't close this window!----

-------------------Can't download Intel GVT-g---------------------
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 1

Updating Support Links

i guess i had an older version of your plugin installed some time ago.

i am using unraid 6.9.2 on an intel i3-10105 with iGPU 630

i tried to install manually an older version of your plugin but was running in the error, 2021.07.23 is already installed, which ist not the case because the install failed.

so i tried to clean the install and used the command line to plugin remove .... the current version

i deleted the file from /boot/config/plugins + plugins-removed and rebooted the mashine

i was able to install the version before the latest, but got the message inside the plugin page to check back if there was a /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915conf file which there was, so i deleted the file as suggested and rebooted

so now i dont know how to proceed, is the plugin now correctly uninstalled to get a clean install? what can i do to install the plugin correctly?

Please let me know if further information is needed.

i would appreaciate any help, many thanks in advance

regards

AstronaX

3 hours ago, astronax said:

so now i dont know how to proceed, is the plugin now correctly uninstalled to get a clean install? what can i do to install the plugin correctly?

Sorry for the inconvenience, made a huge mistake yesterday... :/

Please try to install the plugin again, now everything should work just fine.

7 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Sorry for the inconvenience, made a huge mistake yesterday... :/

Please try to install the plugin again, now everything should work just fine.

Thanks for your follow up. I tried to installiert and also to update it via the ca apps tab but the same error keeps appearing.

I need to say i dont See the Plugin inside the unraid Plugin tab.

1 minute ago, astronax said:

Thanks for your follow up. I tried to installiert and also to update it via the ca apps tab but the same error keeps appearing.

Are you on 6.9.2? If yes, I would recommend to reboot your server and then try to install it again from the CA App.