[Plugin] Intel-GVT-g

• 3 weeks later...

I have read through the thread and seen others with the issue but am not sure of the proper advice for this error:

Windows 10VM stalls and results in having to reboot my unRAID server.

syslog shows loads of :  "Tower kernel: gvt: guest page write error, gpa XXXXXXXX" errors

My details:

Found VGA Adapter:
Intel Corporation CoffeeLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] (rev 02)

tested passing thru as both mode V5_4 & V5_8

Tried with GuC/HuC both as default and option:0 (disabled), same issue:

Windows 10 VM (latest drivers and windows updates, all power saving disabled (screen off : never,  sleep: never))

image.thumb.png.b088a5763add4348225f7511ef60cc95.png

image.thumb.png.0e961893f920d9bb737554b8f92fcfc3.png

Diags attached:

Any advice much appreciated

image.png

tower-diagnostics-20211022-2146.zip

7 hours ago, Capt.Insano said:

syslog shows loads of :  "Tower kernel: gvt: guest page write error, gpa XXXXXXXX" errors

this error occurs usually when using too much vram, sample, too high resolution

usecase, i also have a UHD630 and a running gvt-g VM using v4 mode, resolution 1920x1080, when i now rdp into this VM from a mashine with a high resolution like 1440p or even higher, RDP will auto switch the resolution inside the VM and the vram error can come up when running a little longer and can crash the host system, unraid in this case ...

may possible you are using RDP from a high resolution client ? if so, set the value "fix" to max 1080 in the connection settings, the v8 gvt-g mode allows only even less ... therefore more VM's.

as most mainboards dont allow anymore to assign more ram to the igpu we are locked here ...

if your case is different (max 1080 resolution but still crashing), drop a note.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, alturismo said:

this error occurs usually when using too much vram, sample, too high resolution

usecase, i also have a UHD630 and a running gvt-g VM using v4 mode, resolution 1920x1080, when i now rdp into this VM from a mashine with a high resolution like 1440p or even higher, RDP will auto switch the resolution inside the VM and the vram error can come up when running a little longer and can crash the host system, unraid in this case ...

may possible you are using RDP from a high resolution client ? if so, set the value "fix" to max 1080 in the connection settings, the v8 gvt-g mode allows only even less ... therefore more VM's.

as most mainboards dont allow anymore to assign more ram to the igpu we are locked here ...

if your case is different (max 1080 resolution but still crashing), drop a note.

Thanks so much for the reply

Few bits of info:

0.  Also happening at mode: i915-GVTg_V5_4 for me

1. My RDP connections are from a 1920x1080 laptop so RDP connections were at that max resolution.

2. RDP was also never active when the crashes happened, I noticed the crashes when my BlueIris cameras were gone.

3. Crashes still happen when BlueIris is not using the assigned Intel v-GPU for hardware acceleration or any tasks, I moved all hardware acceleration back to my Nvidia Card as a test of stability and still a crash happened from just having the v-GPU assigned to the VM ?

4. My Mainboard (Gigabyte C246-WU4) allows the 2 following options in BIOS:

dvmt pre-allocated         64M

dvmt total gfx mem         256M

They are both at default values above, would changing this improve my situation?

@alturismo What GuC/HuC options are you running with your UHD630?

Really appreciate the help with this and @ich777's work on this plugin.

1 hour ago, Capt.Insano said:

4. My Mainboard (Gigabyte C246-WU4) allows the 2 following options in BIOS:

whatever you can increase will help for sure ...

1 hour ago, Capt.Insano said:

@alturismo What GuC/HuC options are you running with your UHD630?

default if you mean this

image.thumb.png.423803739c9478ef473b56892c846d64.png

while RDP is still the better choice, may try to use VNC instead just to rule it out, i use TightVNC Server (which uses hw accel) and VNC Viewer or guac VNC Remote, RDP sadly kills my VPN from my work VM, RDP sessions itself works fine but (sadly) always disconnects my VPN to work when i close the RDP which can cause issues with some apps i need for work, but i made also intense RDP Tests with no issues.

i also added a sound device to get audio from RDP sessions, this is the part from the xml, you may have to adjust the slot (free one ;))

<sound model='ich9'>
      <alias name='sound0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x08' function='0x0'/>
    </sound>
    <audio id='1' type='none'/>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='mdev' managed='no' model='vfio-pci' display='off'>
      <source>
        <address uuid='f246aa87-4470-4b12-8501-c41de26fa460'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x05' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>

Blue Iris ... cant say anything about it if and how .... you can take a simple look inside your VM what is using the GPU

image.png.68fc6a6973bf22ff48b80c75e9e6a4d6.png

• Like 1
On 5/17/2021 at 3:30 AM, ich777 said:

Is really difficult on Unraid but I will investigate further.

A dummy plug and a DisplayLink device are two different things.

A display link device is like a USB graphics card with a HDMI or VGA or whatever output on it and you will only need it if you want to output the video signal. You simply have to pass the DisplayLink device through to the VM and mirror the GVT-g iGPU screen so that you get a output hope that makes sense...

image.png.64beadd76e8bf183475d582efeb4c904.png

A dummy plug for the iGPU is only needed if your iGPU isn't initialized properly when booting Unraid.

It's great ! But how to set the Display to "mirror output" ? Thank you for your help.

3 minutes ago, emuzi said:

but the screen is black.

Is the DisplayLink device recognized in the VM and displayed as a secondary output device in your device manager?

You should have a option that should say "Multiple Displays" and there you can select on which device you want to output the picture and there you should pick "Mirror" or "Duplicate".

8 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Is the DisplayLink device recognized in the VM and displayed as a secondary output device in your device manager?

You should have a option that should say "Multiple Displays" and there you can select on which device you want to output the picture and there you should pick "Mirror" or "Duplicate".

image.png.3f3344be776804ca77ab7c4246ddf659.png

Could you please send a few screenshots to me ? thanks.
No, this is not the Display, this is the USB device.
It should be in there as display device.

I can't send any screenshots becauseI've sold my DisplayLink device but it is working wothout a problem.

Sent from my C64

On 10/23/2021 at 11:55 AM, alturismo said:

whatever you can increase will help for sure ...

default if you mean this

image.thumb.png.423803739c9478ef473b56892c846d64.png

Sorry for the delay in replying, I could not take the time restart the server and change BIOS settings during the week.

I have updated the bios values to their max values and the VM is seemingly stable so far! 

Thanks for your help, I will report back if I encounter the issue again.

Edited by Capt.Insano