[Plugin] Intel-GVT-g

11 minutes ago, fulknerra said:

Yup I read up to step 4 and assumed I knew the rest, sorry for wasting your time and thanks for the pointer. 

With GVT-g you don't pass through the real iGPU you pass through a virtual iGPU and that is done by the plugin when you start a VM.

welp. im kinda new to unraid but ive already watched and read a shitton.

so ive followed your steps, set the igpu as primary device adapter in bios, created the vm with said settings installed intel drivers, setup the Intel GVT-g plugin, start VM and well.. everything works, KINDA.

i can see the igu in my device manager. when i set the second display as default (the one with the intel igpu) i get chrome hardware acceleration, i get to run parsec with intel selected and all the goods..

i just CANT change the resolution. its killing me. sometimes its fully grayed out,  sometimes after playing around enough i get the dropdown showing alllll the resolutions but it just wont change. i can open the intel config tool and again, it shows me all them shiny resolutions it just wont change them. tried both steps from the GVT-g plugin, tried the alternate VNC Video Driver, nothing.

Googling only gets me to people either having said problem with the virtual gpu, which if i chose to, can set any resolution with that i want, but then i dont get the igpu percs. Or others with dedicated gpus that in the end prolly fixed it by using a dummy plug.  what do i know 90% of posts end without and actual solution. funny enough i do even have a display plugged into the igpu. tried hdmi and DP.

im kinda at the end of the road here since it doesnt seem to be a commonly known and solved problem..

um using a fresh installed unraid 6.9.2. btw.

some screens that might help you help me:

advanced display settings

greyed out resolution

system devices

system info

vm info

oh might be worth mentioning i enabled vt-d afterwards to get IOMMU enabled and since then im able to actuall chose the gpu in the vm settings under graphics card but idk if thats right.. nor can i save the settings since im getting the following error "XML error: 'model' attribute in <hostdev> is only supported when type='pci'". the screenshot from the full tutorial sadly doesnt go down that  far.

/welp

Edited by m4rcus
46 minutes ago, m4rcus said:

i just CANT change the resolution. its killing me. sometimes its fully grayed out,  sometimes after playing around enough i get the dropdown showing alllll the resolutions but it just wont change.

You have to set the resolution first over VNC and then connect through parsec, if you for example connecting through RDP you can set the resolution on the client.

47 minutes ago, m4rcus said:

Or others with dedicated gpus that in the end prolly fixed it by using a dummy plug.

That won't work with GVT-g.

47 minutes ago, m4rcus said:

funny enough i do even have a display plugged into the igpu. tried hdmi and DP.

I think you've got this wrong, GVT-g is a virtual GPU and will not display anything through a connected display (except the host display output, so to speak from unRAID).

48 minutes ago, m4rcus said:

oh might be worth mentioning i enabled vt-d afterwards to get IOMMU enabled and since then im able to actuall chose the gpu in the vm settings under graphics card but idk if thats right.. nor can i save the settings since im getting the following error "XML error: 'model' attribute in <hostdev> is only supported when type='pci'". the screenshot from the full tutorial sadly doesnt go down that  far.

This plugin is for a virtual GPU and not what you are describing here, you are trying to pass through the whole display adapter, these are two different things and what you've described here has nothing to do with GVT-g, as said above that's a completely different use case.

@alturismo do you know how you can change the resolution in the VM to use a GVT-g adapter with Parsec?

49 minutes ago, ich777 said:

You have to set the resolution first over VNC and then connect through parsec, if you for example connecting through RDP you can set the resolution on the client.

That won't work with GVT-g.

I think you've got this wrong, GVT-g is a virtual GPU and will not display anything through a connected display (except the host display output, so to speak from unRAID).

This plugin is for a virtual GPU and not what you are describing here, you are trying to pass through the whole display adapter, these are two different things and what you've described here has nothing to do with GVT-g, as said above that's a completely different use case.

ok  just bear with me please. i tried following your tutorial step by step and while i prolly confused different help topics that sounded like ppl were trying the same i am still TRYING to do it your way. nothing else. I do get the difference now tho.

that being said i neither can change resolution through RDP (idk why it shows the graphics adapters now, it wasnt like that in the beginning lol) nor can i switch res on that igpu "display" via VNC. i can cheese some applications to work on that non-igpu display with accelleration through windows but it doesnt work with parsec for example.

i mean this doesnt look like rocket surgery but i have no idea what im doing wrong.. i even tried disabling the other graphics adapter which disables vnc but i wouldnt care as long as i would be able to change res in teamviewer or parsec.. :<

tell me what you need to tell me what im missing 😕

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

@alturismo do you know how you can change the resolution in the VM to use a GVT-g adapter with Parsec?

just inside the session, nothing special todo ...

image.thumb.png.11ceea2bf45979eadcbdd6e57c9b8786.png

31 minutes ago, m4rcus said:

tell me what you need to tell me what im missing 😕

may try the following, once you have your VM running and parsec installed.

turn off the VM and remove the graphics and video part from the xml in the advanced VM edit tab.

then start the VM, you wont be able to use the VNC session anymore, but then the VNC part is gone which may cause issues.

sample from the buttom part from my gvt-g VM, you see no more video or graphics parts

image.thumb.png.ce86f7e7c3485b0582ffb7e39afa80c6.png

1 hour ago, alturismo said:

just inside the session, nothing special todo ...

may try the following, once you have your VM running and parsec installed.

turn off the VM and remove the graphics and video part from the xml in the advanced VM edit tab.

then start the VM, you wont be able to use the VNC session anymore, but then the VNC part is gone which may cause issues.

funny enough i once tried taking out the video part but didnt take out the graphics one.. tried again now and while the igpu is the only adapter left in the device manager still no dice on changing resolution.

oh and i also took a pic of parsec. teamviewer is the same, i get to chose the res but nothing changes. same as the intel conf tool. Last one even asks me if i want to keep the (not changed) resolution..

im gonna try to setup a new vm without efi using the seabios now.. i think ive tried everything else.

edit: so yeah, turns out its the first thing i should have tried. this works.

i wonder, how fail proof is the removing/changing of the Intel GVT-g mode? because i do remember chosing  mode 8 (i915-GVTg_V5_8: VMEM: <64MB, 384MB>, up to 1024x768) first, which would limit the resolution if im reading that right? where would this be saved? i mean i did go through like 3 different vm configurations with the same vdisk because im lazy. this is the first time installing a new vdisk.

i might even have started with machine set to i440fx and changed that to q35 later.

so either it some of that gets written to the vdisk and never really changed despite loading the vdisk into another vm configuration or its simply the seabios favouring my hardware setup.

anways, thanks for the help and for making it possible that easily.

just for the shit of it i might try a clean vdisk some later with uefi and the right settings from the beginning.

Edited by m4rcus
1 hour ago, bhcompy said:

What is the implication of doing this(particularly if you're using modprobe i915 for Plex)? Blacklist is always a fun term

You have to blacklist the i915 module like it is described in the error message, the GVT-g plugin will handle the activation from GVT-g in the i915 module (and of course the GVT-g plugin loads the i915 module so that you can use it like usually in Plex or wherever).

• Like 1

I have a question: How can I set it so that I can at least run 2 VM's at the same time while the vGPU is assigned to them?

I changed the vRAM to 1GB in the BIOS but in unRaid it still seem to think there is only 128MB therefor only 1 VM will run. The 2nd one will give the error relating to no vRam. Is there something I can do to fix this?

I have:

Intel i5 7500 with 630 iGPU

Asus Z270-A motherboard

may as sample and to selfcheck ... here is my output while my BIOS is also setted to 1024mb

root@AlsServer:~# lspci -vv -s 00:02.0 | grep prefetchable
        Region 0: Memory at 6222000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        Region 2: Memory at 4000000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]

as you see im also limited to 256 mb which also likes to break everything as soon i use RDP and my client has a higher resolution (will fetch more vram ...)

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, alturismo said:

may as sample and to selfcheck ... here is my output while my BIOS is also setted to 1024mb

root@AlsServer:~# lspci -vv -s 00:02.0 | grep prefetchable
        Region 0: Memory at 6222000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        Region 2: Memory at 4000000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]

as you see im also limited to 256 mb which also likes to break everything as soon i use RDP and my client has a higher resolution (will fetch more vram ...)

I got the same numbers so I have the exact same issue. This is so sad :(

10 hours ago, CrashDDL said:

Is there a known motherboard & intel cpu combo that would work properly and allow for running at least 2 VM's with the assigned vGPU's?

No, you have to try it.

With my i5-10600 on an ASUS Z490-E GAMING I'm able to use two VMs but only by a resolution of 1024x768 and 64MB VRAM per VM (very light workloads).

On 9/12/2021 at 8:29 PM, alturismo said:

may a note about gvt-g and 11th gen, i guess this wont happen as there is a newer feature which is the way to go i assume

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058558/graphics.html

just in case more ppl wait for an update therefore

ohhhhhhh my god does this mean i just kneecapped myself by upgrading to an 11th gen i5? who on gods earth woul look up if a one year old cpu isnt supoorted.. FML.

32 minutes ago, m4rcus said:

ohhhhhhh my god does this mean i just kneecapped myself by upgrading to an 11th gen i5? who on gods earth woul look up if a one year old cpu isnt supoorted.. FML.

Sadly enough Intel dropped GVT-g, see also this post:

However SRIOV should be now supported but thats not supported currently on QEMU + unRAID 6.9.2+