Raj's Prototype Designs [Discussion Thread]

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what is worse is that  mobos change with the speed of light and when you find one that fits you you either have to stock up or hope you will be able to find more later...

... and the cool thing about unRAID is that it's mobo independent (provided you use a mobo that plays nice with unRAID).

every OS is mobo independent (provided you use a mobo that plays nice with the OS)  :)

every OS is mobo independent (provided you use a mobo that plays nice with the OS)  :)

True, but say you're running a hardware based RAID5 setup. If the controller fails you need an identical controller. Or, if you wanted to move the array to a new system you'd again need an identical controller card (and maybe more).

True, but say you're running a hardware based RAID5 setup. If the controller fails you need an identical controller. Or, if you wanted to move the array to a new system you'd again need an identical controller card (and maybe more).

i agree with that. and it is worse with other proprietary stuff like drobo...

anyways, my problem is not migrating unraid if there is a hardware malfunction but constructing new unraid servers. it is a problem if you want to make a business out of it or have many friends who want you to help them creating their new unraid server :)

i agree with that. and it is worse with other proprietary stuff like drobo...

anyways, my problem is not migrating unraid if there is a hardware malfunction but constructing new unraid servers. it is a problem if you want to make a business out of it or have many friends who want you to help them creating their new unraid server :)

Good point.

what is worse is that  mobos change with the speed of light and when you find one that fits you you either have to stock up or hope you will be able to find more later...

... and the cool thing about unRAID is that it's mobo independent (provided you use a mobo that plays nice with unRAID).

Not MacOS.  It will only run on Intel boards or approved Apple boards.

Not MacOS.  It will only run on Intel boards or approved Apple boards.

i stand corrected. (although there is hackintosh, but i dont know if it can run on all mobos)

PS: btw, i have to say (and i dont mean to start an OS war, especially in this thread, i am not an avid fun of a particular OS anyway) i always see people bashing Microsoft when Apple is much more worse with its closed platforms...

question about this case.... I bought the zotac motherboard and was wondering if it would fit this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119161&Tpk=Cooler%20Master%20Elite%20335

Yes, it will fit in that case.  miniITX will fit in just about any case.

i stand corrected. (although there is hackintosh, but i dont know if it can run on all mobos)

PS: btw, i have to say (and i dont mean to start an OS war, especially in this thread, i am not an avid fun of a particular OS anyway) i always see people bashing Microsoft when Apple is much more worse with its closed platforms...

As far as I know, hackintosh only runs on Intel boards, hence my comment above.  I'm inclined to agree with you about Apple vs. Microsoft.  The companies seem to be switching places, or at least Apple is getting much worse than it used to be.  MacOS Tiger was my favorite version of the OS, I feel it has gone significantly down hill from there.  On the other hand, Windows 7 is great, much better than previous versions of Windows.  It is the best OS on the market today in my opinion (after unRAID, of course ;)).

As far as I know, hackintosh only runs on Intel boards, hence my comment above.  I'm inclined to agree with you about Apple vs. Microsoft.  The companies seem to be switching places, or at least Apple is getting much worse than it used to be.  MacOS Tiger was my favorite version of the OS, I feel it has gone significantly down hill from there.  On the other hand, Windows 7 is great, much better than previous versions of Windows.  It is the best OS on the market today in my opinion (after unRAID, of course ;)).

expect for windows explorer which i think is even worse than the one of windows xp. i could list at least 10 things that annoy me in explorer  and work well in linux (and possibly in Mac too)

I think Windows Explorer is much improved in Win7.  Finder, on the other hand, is quite annoying to use in my opinion.  This is getting pretty off-topic, though.  If you want to continue this discussion, start a thread in lounge and I'll move these posts over there.

yeah, sorry, you're right. but better end it here. my experience says that as time passes the probability of someone appearing, who believes that he was sent by god to defend an OS, converges to 1

What is your suggestion on the following -

I am thinking of going to unraid  - I have 4 drives as right now. two are 1tb and two are 1.5.

I would go with the Plus Registration for growth. So this gives 6 drives? Does this 6 drive include the parity and cache drive if you use them?

I am just trying to figure out build style.....

What is your suggestion on the following -

I am thinking of going to unraid  - I have 4 drives as right now. two are 1tb and two are 1.5.

I would go with the Plus Registration for growth. So this gives 6 drives? Does this 6 drive include the parity and cache drive if you use them?

I am just trying to figure out build style.....

the plus offers 1 parity + 5 array (or 6 unprotected) + 1 cache drive. if you are new to this, you can try he free version first. that's what i did and i realized that i would eventually need soon more than 5 data disks so i went and bought the pro version.

Ok so what are some suggestions on a build that leaves room for growth if needed. I don't want to go the rack/server style more the PC case style. I just saw some of the Fractal design cases that looked interesting and some newer LiaLan cases.

I built based on the 15 drive budget box (make sure to get the upgraded power supply) and started with three disks. Adding capacity has been easy enough. I did mess up and buy a 5 in 3 cage at first when it was not necessary. There's room for three disks in almost every case using the 3.5" internal slots.

Side note: that CM 590 is no longer available, but there are others that are good replacements. Just look for something with external slots in multiples of three (3, 6, 9, etc). Those can be fitted with 5 in 3 cages and then filled with disks.

AZZA Helios is one I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Raj,

I really like your designs and although parts are not always available where I live, the designs have served well as inspiration :-) I've been thinking about doing a little box for a friend and initally thought about using something like the Zotac board you base your smaller builds on. But I am also drawn to the new Zacate based boards such as the ASRock E350M1 which is very reasonably priced, and has 4 SATA3 ports as well as 1 PCIe 16x slot so there's room for an extra controller if demanded.

Have you by chance looked into any of he Zacate boards?

Hi Raj,

I really like your designs and although parts are not always available where I live, the designs have served well as inspiration :-) I've been thinking about doing a little box for a friend and initally thought about using something like the Zotac board you base your smaller builds on. But I am also drawn to the new Zacate based boards such as the ASRock E350M1 which is very reasonably priced, and has 4 SATA3 ports as well as 1 PCIe 16x slot so there's room for an extra controller if demanded.

Have you by chance looked into any of he Zacate boards?

I have not, but Zen has.  See this thread.  Initial results look pretty good.

I'm planning a 15 drive mid-tower build, and already have a Supermicro 5in3 cage. Its deeper than the Norco or IcyDock from what I've read.

Does anyone know if its going to fit in the Azza Helios 910 case? I was also considering the Antec 902 - any thoughts on that? For now I only want to use 2 cages (10 drives). I also want to keep the server as silent as possible, and will replace the fans in the enclosures and add some dampening foam. I'm going to look in this thread for ideas, but are there any particular builds that would help?

I can confirm that the Supermicro cages will fit in an Antec 902 (after flattening the tabs, of course).  They also fit well in the CM 590 case, as you can see here (that thread is all about diagnosing a crap motherboard, but the photos and component links may be helpful...just stay away from that motherboard!).  I don't know about the Azza case specifically as I've never used it, but I expect they will fit there as well.

One nice thing about the Supermicro cage is that the fan enclosures on the back of the units are removable.  So if the cages won't fit, you could remove the fan enclosures and run them without fans (compensating with some serious case fans, or perhaps a custom fan mount for each cage).  The fan enclosures are much deeper than they need to be for standard 92 mm fans, I suppose to accommodate for deeper server class fans.  Possibly you could cut them down a bit too.  I expect you won't need to do any of this, though.

If messing with the drive cages is too much hassle, then I recommend getting the smallest MicroATX or miniITX motherboard you can find.  In addition to be an all-around awesome board, the Biostar A670G M2+ that I recommend in many of my builds is significantly smaller than most MicroATX boards.  If you went with a miniITX board I guarantee that you wouldn't have any issues with fitting the Supermicro cages, but you will also either limit your expandability or pay a lot more.  There are a few nice Atom-based Supermicro miniITX boards each of which has 6 onboard SATA ports and could support a SASLP card for a max capacity of 14 drives.  The new ASRock E350M1 (AMD Zacate) board looks promising as well.  It would max out at 12 drives, or 13 if you used the rear eSATA port.

draug3n lined his case with corkboard to dampen noise.  See this thread.