[Plugin] Docker Compose Manager

Hi, sorry I am noob on docker and trying to get one up to remove a RPI I have currently running a small app.

When I try to rum the following docker compose :

version: '3.7'

services:

mqtt:
    image: eclipse-mosquitto
    network_mode: host

musa:
    image: musa
    build:
      context: ./
      dockerfile: Dockerfile

I get the following error:

[+] Running 0/1
 ⠿ musa Warning                                                                                                                                                    1.6s
[+] Building 0.2s (2/2) FINISHED                                                                                                                                        
 => [internal] load build definition from Dockerfile                                                                                                               0.1s
 => => transferring dockerfile: 2B                                                                                                                                 0.0s
 => [internal] load .dockerignore                                                                                                                                  0.1s
 => => transferring context: 2B                                                                                                                                    0.0s
failed to solve: rpc error: code = Unknown desc = failed to solve with frontend dockerfile.v0: failed to read dockerfile: open /var/lib/docker/tmp/buildkit-mount634254436/Dockerfile: no such file or directory

Dos anyone know why I get such error?

Thanks for any help.

5 hours ago, yaazzz said:
  musa:
    image: musa
    build:
      context: ./
      dockerfile: Dockerfile

Are you using the default compose.manager directory for your stack or did you use the Advanced option to specify the Stack Directory? If you used the default directory then the above bit could be your issue. You should not put build files in the default stack directory. You should either put the whole stack directory somewhere else of put the build files somewhere else and specify an absolute path the context.

On 10/9/2022 at 2:16 AM, SCSI said:

The "Update Stack" does not update the application for me for some reason. I had to manually run "docker-compose pull && docker-compose up -d" to update the application.

I am experiencing the same on Unraid 6.10.3: I have to use:

docker compose pull

...on the command line and the bring the stack up using the "Compose Up" button. The "Update Stack" button simply displays a list of contaners in the stack, each one listed as "Running". Nothing else happens.

However, even when I do this on the command line and see the containers updated the Docker Tab and Fix Common Problems beleieve there are still updates for all containers in my stack.

Edited by elzik
1 hour ago, elzik said:

I am experiencing the same on Unraid 6.10.3: I have to use:

docker compose pull

...on the command line and the bring the stack up using the "Compose Up" button. The "Update Stack" button simply displays a list of contaners in the stack, each one listed as "Running". Nothing else happens.

However, even when I do this on the command line and see the containers updated the Docker Tab and Fix Common Problems beleieve there are still updates for all containers in my stack.

@SCSI@Hendrik112
I am aware of this issue and working on a fix.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, primeval_god said:

@SCSI @Hendrik112 @elzik There is a new version that should fix the update function. 

Thanks, I appreciate it. The button now appears to attempt to pull but nothing gets pulled - I think maybe all the images are up to date. However, the Docker Tab and Fix Common Problems believe there are still updates for all containers in my stack - is this to be expected?

1 minute ago, elzik said:

However, the Docker Tab and Fix Common Problems believe there are still updates for all containers in my stack - is this to be expected?

Yes, the update notification can't be used for Compose stacks, it'll always show an update.

Edited by Kilrah
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Beermedlar said:

I found that I can't replace the icon when old icon exists

This is technically an issue with unRAID's dockerman rather than this plugin. The compose plugin does have a feature to patch this behavior along with a few other webui integration issues. It can be enabled in the settings but is disabled by default. Be sure you have the latest version of the plugin (released today) as there was a minor change to that functionality. 

On 10/13/2022 at 4:42 PM, Kilrah said:

Yes, the update notification can't be used for Compose stacks, it'll always show an update.

Also FYI the webui patches will disable the update link in the main docker page for containers managed by compose.

On 10/15/2022 at 6:30 PM, primeval_god said:

Also FYI the webui patches will disable the update link in the main docker page for containers managed by compose.

I have the last version (2022.10.15) but the update link is still there, even after a real stack update it hasn't disappeared.

image.png.7a1b586541e54c56f007d7521d12671c.png

I am using the Fix Common Problem plugin to e-mail me nightly when there is an update to my docker images. For the stack that I created using the Dokcer Compose Manager plugin, I get an e-mail every night irregardless of an actual update being available or not.

Is this the same issue reported above? Is it just somehting that I have to accept using Dokcer Compose Manager?

6 hours ago, writablevulture said:

I am using the Fix Common Problem plugin to e-mail me nightly when there is an update to my docker images. For the stack that I created using the Dokcer Compose Manager plugin, I get an e-mail every night irregardless of an actual update being available or not.

Is this the same issue reported above? Is it just somehting that I have to accept using Dokcer Compose Manager?

The already reported issues are about unRAIDs builtin update  check. I would suspect that the Fix Common Problem plugin piggybacks off of that but i dont know for sure. 

On 10/15/2022 at 6:30 PM, primeval_god said:

This is technically an issue with unRAID's dockerman rather than this plugin. The compose plugin does have a feature to patch this behavior along with a few other webui integration issues. It can be enabled in the settings but is disabled by default. Be sure you have the latest version of the plugin (released today) as there was a minor change to that functionality. 

a screenshot of where this setting is?

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Settings, Compose, Patch UI...

I did enable it and click patch and can't see a difference though. 6.11.1

If the patch applied correctly, the patch button should disappear and on the docker containers page all of your stack containers (created with the compose plugin) should have "not available" in the version column. 

I was running some test yesterday and notice that the override file is generated in the plugin directory even if the indirect file is pointing to another directory. Any reasons for this? It would be nice to have the files in the same place as it would make it possible to keep the files in GIT.

Alternatively, is it possible to create a GIT repo out of  /boot/config/plugins/compose.manager/projects or will I face issues with the fact that it is on the USB drive? I would then put all the static configuration files there as well, e.g.:

.../authelia/docker-compose.yml

.../authelia/docker-compose.override.yml

.../authelia/configuration.yml

10 minutes ago, PierreT said:

I was running some test yesterday and notice that the override file is generated in the plugin directory even if the indirect file is pointing to another directory. Any reasons for this?

Yes there is. The plugin directory on the flash drive is meant to be managed only by the compose plugin and should contain only files create by the plugin. The option for the indirect path is meant to allow the user to build more complex stacks in their own directory while still integrating with the plugin. 

15 minutes ago, PierreT said:

Alternatively, is it possible to create a GIT repo out of  /boot/config/plugins/compose.manager/projects or will I face issues with the fact that it is on the USB drive? I would then put all the static configuration files there as well, e.g.:

.../authelia/docker-compose.yml

.../authelia/docker-compose.override.yml

.../authelia/configuration.yml

I would not recommend putting any extra files in the compose.manager folder.