My HDD and NVMe drives do not show on Unraid 6.9.2

Go to solution Solved by GingaRanga,

I have an ASUS ROG Strix z690-f board, Corsair Dominator 5600MHz RAM, Intel i9-12900k CPU, two 6TB WD Red HDD and three NVMe SSDs. All of my drives show on Windows as well as BIOS and ProxMox, but not on Unraid. I have downloaded Unassigned devices plugins and preclear, but they still do not show. I have tried the drives both unallocated and formatted NTFS. My setup is Windows 11 and a second boot USB drive to boot into Unraid. The only thing I can think of is switching SATA mode to AHCI, but I do not think this board allows that option. I am new to Unraid so it is probably something stupid, but any help and advice is greatly appreciated. I plan on starting my server with portainer for plex media using both 6TB drives in RAID0 for maximum storage (yeah yeah I don't care about redundancy/parity) and one of my ADATA 1TB NVMe for Cache. Oh, and my NVMe I am looking to use is in M.2_2 slot and both HDDs are in an active SATA port on MOBO.

gingaranga-diagnostics-20220223-1355.zip

Edited by GingaRanga
18 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

RAID is enable for NVMe devices, curiously no Intel SATA controller is being detected by Linux, only a two port Asmedia controller, which I assume are these ports:

imagem.png.007ceeee5e742abcdfb9e01b2d63b7fc.png

Any disks connected there should work.

Ok, so changing the ports to the ones you highlighted worked because I can't even do RAID using those ports. Thank you very much.

No to try and figure out how to change my ADATA SSD to non-RAID in BIOS. I cannot seem to find it. Even changed it to CSM compatibility mode and still nothing.

Moving onto the ASUS forums but every step they say to use for turning off RAID doesn't exist on my BIOS...

• Solution
7 minutes ago, GingaRanga said:

Ok, so changing the ports to the ones you highlighted worked because I can't even do RAID using those ports. Thank you very much.

No to try and figure out how to change my ADATA SSD to non-RAID in BIOS. I cannot seem to find it. Even changed it to CSM compatibility mode and still nothing.

Moving onto the ASUS forums but every step they say to use for turning off RAID doesn't exist on my BIOS...

Aha! It seems when I switch CSM compatibility mode off in BIOS an Intel Rapid Storage Technology option appears. When I turn that off then I can now access all drives in Unraid. So weird. This is a new board and slightly different BIOS than I am used to so it's taking some finagling to find certain options.

Thanks everyone for your help!

1 minute ago, Arbadacarba said:

So to confirm, there is NO WAY to use Intel Rapid Storage Tech with Unraid?

I would love to stripe my NVME drives which I then pass on to a Gaming VM

No. Intel motherboard RAID is not really hardware RAID, more a hybrid software / hardware combination that requires OS support. Unraid replaces the standard linux RAID that would support intel RST with the proprietary parity array stuff.  That's why the only RAID support on Unraid is BTRFS volumes that don't use the linux mdadm RAID system.

There may be other options that might work, but I can't recall anyone actually using one with Unraid. If you pass the entire device to the VM it should work.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16141/marvell-and-hpe-introduce-nvme-raid-adapter-for-server-boot-drives

• Like 2