[Plugin] LXC Plugin

15 minutes ago, Hayo Tee said:

sorry for using the pirated version. I haven't decided yet whether to buy the program or not. Because $109 is a lot of money for me. before that, I used OMV and Debian based distro. I chose unraid because it is convenient to manage lxc and VM via the web ui.

You know that you can register trail?

The first trail period is 30 days and then you can extend it 2x 15 days

1 minute ago, Hayo Tee said:

Yes, I have already expired this period. But about 2x 15 days I didn't know

You should be still able to extend your trial period but please remove all of the piracy stuff and we can troubleshoot further.

The container is working perfectly fine over here and I have also confirmation that it works from another user.

12 hours ago, Hayo Tee said:

sorry for using the pirated version. I haven't decided yet whether to buy the program or not. Because $109 is a lot of money for me. before that, I used OMV and Debian based distro. I chose unraid because it is convenient to manage lxc and VM via the web ui.

It is also advantageous to purchase the product, unRAID, if you find it valuable and continue to use it, especially when you require support for its extensions. Please note that assistance will not be provided for pirated versions of the product. This community and the future of unRAID depend on the support of its legitimate users.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

on beta 7 yet to test curentl 6 stable release

when i wget to add a template.

image.thumb.png.ad4bf5658214a8aceb1b351eafb7fe79.png

the template data is not loading.
How hard would it be to add a unraid path box to downladed templates and load them in here?

Just updated teh pre build to lattest release:

Destroyed unifi lxc, removed previous downloaded template, and rebooted unraid
ran wget command and lxc data not filled in. not sure if something changed or pathing is wrong.

On 6/12/2024 at 3:07 PM, ich777 said:

Thanks for the explanation.

This is something that I plan to release, basically pre-made container archives witch certain applications installed that can be downloaded directly through the CA App.

I already have a few proof of concept containers, the most complete one is here.

BTW, this container can already be installed:

1. Open a Unraid terminal and execute:
    wget -O /tmp/lxc_container_template.xml https://github.com/ich777/unraid_lxc_pihole/raw/main/lxc_container_template.xml
  2. Open a browser and go to http://<YOUERSERVERIP>/LXCAddTemplate
  3. Install it

Most excellent. Sounds like my Labor Day project has been found! I'd really like LXC applicance templates being built in to the LXC plugin. I use the feature a lot in other platforms. 

45 minutes ago, bmartino1 said:

Destroyed unifi lxc, removed previous downloaded template, and rebooted unraid
ran wget command and lxc data not filled in. not sure if something changed or pathing is wrong.

You changed the template wrongly... You are dealing with an XML and you have to escape certain characters and in your case why it's failing is: &

Please always try a different template or one from my templates first to see if it is really not working.

45 minutes ago, bmartino1 said:

How hard would it be to add a unraid path box to downladed templates and load them in here?

That won't happen, at least not yet.

I'm really not a fan by that because one could really destroy his whole Unraid installation and data with that.

• Like 1

@bmartino1 what I have to add for the mount entry is that I specificity scan for that when creating a container from an archive and even if there is a mount entry in the config the plugin will remove it, the user has to do this manually.

You should really think of a reliable update script in your container archive instead of every time destroying and recreating the container <- this was never how I intended for what the container archives are used for.

(you really shouldn't have changed the update script that I've provided since it would always download/check for the latest version from Unifi without user intervention, a average user should not have to issue terminal commands and that's also really bad practice because you will probably turn away many people from your container <- keep it simple for them, if a user wants to change something he does it anyways).

29 minutes ago, darthkielbasa said:

Most excellent. Sounds like my Labor Day project has been found! I'd really like LXC applicance templates being built in to the LXC plugin. I use the feature a lot in other platforms. 

Have fun! :)

5 minutes ago, ich777 said:

@bmartino1 what I have to add for the mount entry is that I specificity scan for that when creating a container from an archive and even if there is a mount entry in the config the plugin will remove it, the user has to do this manually.

You should really think of a reliable update script in your container archive instead of every time destroying and recreating the container <- this was never how I intended for what the container archives are used for.

(you really shouldn't have changed the update script that I've provided since it would always download/check for the latest version from Unifi without user intervention)

it didn't though. i had to go back to the apt release as unfi won't install the lattest deb without user interaction and confriming that there was a backup. the script will deb downlaod the lattest but fail at install.

I have updated parts to help prevent this. and testing. unfortunatly I can't realiable test this. 

4 minutes ago, bmartino1 said:

the script will deb downlaod the lattest but fail at install.

You can skip that from what I found from a quick google search, you should first research if you can disable that and also if you maybe can take a auto backup on installation (this is a thing that I haven‘t researched on because I don‘t have a single Unifi network device).

24 minutes ago, ich777 said:

You can skip that from what I found from a quick google search, you should first research if you can disable that and also if you maybe can take a auto backup on installation (this is a thing that I haven‘t researched on because I don‘t have a single Unifi network device).

it's not easy to CLI backup unifi. From experiences, that's more a unifi forum questions. Rather not as I don't want to have to create a continue increase in space. (it more a issue that i can make a backup. but unifi web ui will not see it.) Backups should be on the end user, I would prefer the end user manual do this and make  a lxc snapshot/ backup instead...) I'm currently working on solutions. And have setup this container so that this wouldn't be needed in the future. it's more testing and publishing issues on adding the template to lxc. once that is ironed out i can focus on the needed scripts.
Nothing major is changed except 2 scripts located at /root in the lxc and can be redownloaded for current users...

During testing, the updated unifi script has a front end prompt when updating... I may have to re work it for automations...

The destroy, re-add is for my test environment was never a production was extra data to explain and show that the file name and file type were correct for the lxc add template web ui to load.... Minor fixes have been made already.

I just need to re-read your script for update-unify and set up a nonreactive front end to accept yes at the first prompt.... when asked do you have a backup and find a temp solution to unifi make a backup...

Hence, I rather the end user update manual... the release was more an update to make changes to apply my updates due to this change. I've done the research and attempted the solution but these failed hence the release updates... My main issues which you solved already was the in the xml donation link error in xml. I missed that. However, in testing before, I was able to use the template with the "&"... Doesn't matter.

Currently fixing:
image.thumb.png.4be4901ae4074eeb186d9066c44c7d2c.png

Edited by bmartino1
spelling and notes
  • 2 weeks later...

Just if anyone is curious how to set up Tailscale in a LXC container:

1. Create a new container and disable Autostart, in this case I will use a Debian Bookworm container (you can of course use any existing container too)
  2. Edit the config file from the container and add this at the end:
    # Allow TUN access
    lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow = c 10:200 rwm
    lxc.mount.entry = /dev/net/tun dev/net/tun none bind,create=file
  3. Start the container and open up a console
  4. Execute this (this will install basic tools and tailscale itself:
    apt-get update && apt-get -y install curl && \
    curl -fsSL https://tailscale.com/install.sh | sh
  5. After everything is installed issue:
    tailscale up
  6. And finally follow the link that is displayed to add the container to your Tailnet

If you want to run OpenVPN or any other application which needs access to /dev/net/tun simply add the lines from Step 2 to the container config.