Intel Arc support

Go to solution Solved by TheIlluminate,

15 hours ago, DeadDevil6210 said:

It's not a support issue, Thor2002 didn't remove anything, It was just my network.cfg file on the flash drive that got messed up (removing it and setting up new one with fresh static ip solvbed the issue). (So if it works with official 6.11.5 build it wil work with his kernel)

DHCP was broken on 6.2 RC5/6 don't know if you now start using the final build if that's the same. And be sure to backup the files you are going to overwrite, If something els messes up you can just put back the original files and your back to where you left before. 

Thanks, just tried it and got it working with zero issues! Now if only I could get the Handbrake container to recognize the GPU... Tdarr seems to see it no problem.

14 hours ago, Isorikk said:

Thanks, just tried it and got it working with zero issues! Now if only I could get the Handbrake container to recognize the GPU... Tdarr seems to see it no problem.

What did you use in Tdarr for transcoding before Arc gpu? Can you compare it with Arc? I have P400, A380 is great price now  and I’m looking forward to AV1 support.

On 2/6/2023 at 5:26 PM, jsrk said:

Finally got it to work, thanks so much nyanmisaka, if there is a way to support you individually please let me know.

My system starts just fine with the kernel. However, even when assigning a static IP, my unraid server just won't come up on the network. Can't ping anything and emhttpd is throwing connection timeout errors, so WebUI is not up either, obviously.

Tried setting it to static via the GUI before changing out the kernel. No success either.
It always ends up being: 

RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported

In the end, I get that static IP but I can't actually communicate with any machines in the network. Not sure if it matters that I'm on an I219 ethernet controller.

Did you have to do anything else to get this running?'

Edit: IPs were only assigned to br0 for some reason. Manually assigning the IP to eth0 via ifconfig did the trick. I recommend adding this as the first line to your /boot/config/go file.

ifconfig eth0 <ip-address>

Transcoding works wonderfully, Jellyfin 10.8.9 stable:

image.png.192d90c17bb11551d91dabadc0616c48.png

Edited by Schaka
  • Like 1
On 3/2/2023 at 10:12 AM, Anadoliev said:

What GPU did you use for transcoding with handbrake intel iGPU, nvidia or AMD? Can you compare the quality and the performance between intel arc and the device you used before?

I've used the A770 inside a VM for Handbrake which could transcode 4k h264 mp4 video at around 85 fps. My RTX3080 gets similar numbers. I have a GTX1660Super that averages around 60fps.

Using Tdarr I've seen it hitting several thousand FPS on the A770 so maybe I've just been using Handbrake wrong?

Edit: The several thousand fps was just for remuxing.

I've got the GPU doing full decode and encoding work now at around 140 fps. Attached image of the Intel GPU working within the Tdarr Docker in Unraid.

image.thumb.png.986f8d67a7fbd42694c6a2430faf7eba.png

Edited by Isorikk
Added more info
On 3/2/2023 at 10:28 PM, Isorikk said:

I've used the A770 inside a VM for Handbrake which could transcode 4k h264 mp4 video at around 85 fps. My RTX3080 gets similar numbers. I have a GTX1660Super that averages around 60fps.

Using Tdarr I've seen it hitting several thousand FPS on the A770 so maybe I've just been using Handbrake wrong?

Edit: The several thousand fps was just for remuxing.

I've got the GPU doing full decode and encoding work now at around 140 fps. Attached image of the Intel GPU working within the Tdarr Docker in Unraid.

image.thumb.png.986f8d67a7fbd42694c6a2430faf7eba.png

Thanks for the answer! All seems pretty good. All Intel Arc gpus are pretty good price in my region now. I think i will buy A380, because it is less power hungry for 24/7 usage. Last do you know what is the idle power consumption on your A770? And what plugin you use tdarr?

On 3/5/2023 at 1:16 PM, Anadoliev said:

Thanks for the answer! All seems pretty good. All Intel Arc gpus are pretty good price in my region now. I think i will buy A380, because it is less power hungry for 24/7 usage. Last do you know what is the idle power consumption on your A770? And what plugin you use tdarr?

I can't tell you what the spec idle usage is for the card, but my system is usually around 100 watts if all the discs are spun down and it is idle.

For Tdarr I wrote my own plugin borrowing a bit from some existing ones, the ones that are provided by the community aren't great for what I wanted... I'll link it as a pastebin but fair warning they are highly particular to my set-up and might not do what you want. Important note: It says QSV but I haven't been able to get the docker to recognize the A770 as a QSV enabled device, so it's currently using VAAPI. I also have an NVENC enabled script that does basically the same stuff if you want to use an Nvidia GPU as well 🙃

The main purpose of these scripts is to find files that aren't in the proper codec, or have annoying letterbox black bars on the top and bottom that show up on ultrawide monitors (which I use), and then remove the letterbox and compress the files to be optimal for Plex playback. You will lose some video quality using these plugins for those who want peak visual fidelity. I am still testing the optimal cutoff for each video type but it seems best to be around 10mbps for H265-4k and 15mbps for H264-1080p.

Intel: https://pastebin.com/sWQiP7tF

Nvidia: https://pastebin.com/PkhpTYdx

Disclaimer: These plugins are intended for private use and I have no intent on providing support to get them working. You are welcome to use or modify them as you wish.

Edit: I've made some improvements to the script since the original post. The original links still work but I've updated the code on them. Might start a repo for code updates on these and continue developing them, but no promises.

Edited by Isorikk
Added update for pastebin links
  • Upvote 1
On 3/2/2023 at 1:02 AM, Schaka said:

My system starts just fine with the kernel. However, even when assigning a static IP, my unraid server just won't come up on the network. Can't ping anything and emhttpd is throwing connection timeout errors, so WebUI is not up either, obviously.

Tried setting it to static via the GUI before changing out the kernel. No success either.
It always ends up being: 

RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported

In the end, I get that static IP but I can't actually communicate with any machines in the network. Not sure if it matters that I'm on an I219 ethernet controller.

Did you have to do anything else to get this running?'

Edit: IPs were only assigned to br0 for some reason. Manually assigning the IP to eth0 via ifconfig did the trick. I recommend adding this as the first line to your /boot/config/go file.

ifconfig eth0 <ip-address>

Transcoding works wonderfully, Jellyfin 10.8.9 stable:

image.png.192d90c17bb11551d91dabadc0616c48.png

my apologies for answering so late, I was on a business trip. I am glad you got it sorted and I am even happier that it works as expected now.

On 3/5/2023 at 9:16 PM, Anadoliev said:

it doesn't make much of a difference which ARC GPU you get if there is no screen connected, what matters is that your motherboard supports ASPM L1.

3 hours ago, Inigma said:

Anyone successfully pass an A770 through on an X570 board? 

I tried the previously posted successful basic settings, but although I can see it in device manager, I still can't get any video other than the virtual GPU. 

Asrock Taichi X570 Razer Edition. 

For anybody upgraded to 6.12 RC1: make sure that if you want to use the arc card in unraid it self to do the probe i915 other wise the driver won't be loaded. If you want to passthrough to a vm this isn't needed as unraid won't load anything for the arc card. (linux kernel 6.2 makes the probe rule unneeded as arc is stable in this kernel.

I have downgrade from the thor custom kernel to 6.12 RC1 to see how it goes I will update her in the coming weekend on my experience

Also some had success in vm by turning of the hyper-v setting and other like me didn't even need to vfio-bind the card to get it working. My only problem so far is that with a w11 vm the card still doesn't get rebar so the performance is awefull in tdarr compared to what the card should be capable of. I'm gonna try ubuntu 22.04 this weekend to see how that goes. (i'm also hoping thor will release a linux 6.3 rc kernel voor unriad 6.12 but this is a waiting procedure) 

Oke so this weekend i had some free time to spend and checked out support on unraid 6.12 rc2. I started of fresh by reinstalling my flash drive and putting back a copy of the config folder on to it. 

First some information for those reading my post for the first time:

General Hardware:
i5 12600K 
64GB 3600Mhz ram

Storage config:
5x 16TB array
3x pci-e 4.0 nvme 1tb cache

Power usage:
With a GTX 1070 my pwoer consumption on transcoding was: 214W
With the ARC A380 and UHD 770 working it's 110W

Transcode software used: tdarr + node

At this moment i'm very limited on speed by the hdd's that have all the media and I'm not using any forms of ram transcoding at this moment. But the power efficiency of the arc card starts to show. When tdarr is finished on the current queue I will add some new media on the cache and see how far I can strecht the arc card on performance. 

Performance Numbers with media on HDD:
UHD 770 = around 300 FPS total
ARC A380  = around 200 - 220 FPS total 

Performance Numbers with media on SSD:
UHD 770 = T.B.A.
ARC A380 = T.B.A.

Now let's move on to what I did:

So i have a fresh unraid 6.12 RC2 install (copied back the config folder on the flash drive)
While I was installing the fresh flash drive I added the line to the i915.conf file inside the modprobe.d folder

"options i915 force_probe=56a5" (be aware that the value 56a5 = intel arc a380 i have the asrock challenger itx brand)

After that I booted up the server and under tools --> system devices I checked if the driver was loaded for the arc card.

Then I went on to check ls /dev/dri in terminal and It shows card0 card1 renderD128 renderD129 (card0 + 128 = udh 770 and card1 + 129 is intel arc in my case. I checked this by opening intel_gpu_top in terminal.

In tdarr docker server + node I changed the extra parameter to dev/dri/cardX (where X is the number corresponding to the card you want to use) so in my case i added to tidarr /dev/dri/card0 and to tidarr_node /dev/dri/card1.

In side tidarr I use the qsv plugin from boosh and the arc a380 options are set to qsv as well and it just works. 

I will keep you guys posted on some performance numbers when i have something loaded onto the cache

This is al H265 btw no AV1 as I see no advantage on power consumption (most clients i have don't support av1 at this time) and the boost in hdd space is not needed at this moment so I hope that in the future when av1 is more mainstream I will move to it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
18 hours ago, nyanmisaka said:

The OneVPL runtime is required for using QSV AV1 encoder, which is not supported by legacy MediaSDK.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/onevpl-in-ffmpeg-for-great-streaming-on-intel-gpus.html

Jellyfin's ffmpeg 6.0 builds support OneVPL and bundled its runtime.

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-ffmpeg/releases/tag/v6.0-1

OK, now trying jellyfin for the first time and can not seem to get transcoding to work at all.  I just get an error during playback.  Anyone used jellyfin with an ARC GPU that could help out a newbie.