[Support] devzwf - pihole DoT/DoH

This repo was created to update the  piHole DoT/DoH by flippinturt
https://forums.unraid.net/topic/101615-support-depreciated-flippinturt-pihole-dot-doh/

Official pihole docker with added DNS-over-TLS (DoT) and DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH).

• DoH uses cloudflare (1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1) and DoT uses google (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4). Config files are exposed so you can modify them as you wish e.g. to add more services.

Application:  https://hub.docker.com/r/devzwf/pihole-dot-doh

Make sure to look at the complete documentation

Please make sure you set a static IP for this docker, as DHCP will not work!

FAQ:
Q: Can this be installed on top of flippinturt's current pihole DoT-DoH?
A: Yes, this can be installed over, without any problems

Q: How do I change the hostname?
A: Use the '--hostname namehere' parameter, under 'extra parameters' in the containers settings

Please post any questions/issues relating to this template you have in this thread.

Edited by ZappyZap
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

When doing a clean install your template is empty at the following places image.thumb.png.db36aa26a2d18d782fabab2676da5cc5.png

You need to fill this to be able to create the docker and without these filled there will not be a appdata directory for this docker. I filled this with:

/mnt/user/appdata/pihole-dot-doh/pihole/

/mnt/user/appdata/pihole-dot-doh/dnsmasq.d/

/mnt/user/appdata/pihole-dot-doh/config/

(copied from the original outdated testdasi template)

Maybe you can fill these in the template with the above?

Makes it a little easier to install for the first time .

Spoiler

especially for people that are not that versed in docker templates and then just create a directory for pihole in the appdata directory but because then the permissions are wrong no config files are created and nothing works and start hating yourself cause your household has now not had dns for an hour and are getting angry at you...

Yes I am stupid... But happy with the config files and my stubby is no longer set to google.

EDIT:

Thank you for keeping this docker alive in unraid!

Edited by Bleak

/config container paths are automatically mapped to whatever the user sets in Settings - Docker for the default appdata path.  In your case there was a minor bug in dockerMan which prevented it from doing /config/ and it only did /config.  I've adjusted your template automatically to change it to /config

Personally, I'd like the paths mentioned above to be filled out in the template.  That way it's closer to a 1 click install.  Only if the user has changed the default appdata path (a rarity) would they need to adjust vs right now everyone has to change the paths

5 minutes ago, Squid said:

Personally, I'd like the paths mentioned above to be filled out in the template.  That way it's closer to a 1 click install.  Only if the user has changed the default appdata path (a rarity) would they need to adjust vs right now everyone has to change the paths

Got it 
thanks @Bleak to start the discussion, i will update the template 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, milfer322 said:

Hello,

The docker its work fine but I need increase the shm partition, but I cant.

I tried the first fix from this website, https://aricodes.net/posts/pihole-ftl-restarting/ add the variable shm_size with the space 1g and dont work.

How can increase the partition with this docker?

Thanks so much!!

I will have a look at this site 
but try add 

--mount type=tmpfs,destination=/run

in extra parameters and let me know 

also can you describe what you are trying to fix , and wat issue you facing ?

Edited by ZappyZap

Hello, I am having the problem that after updating to the most recent version yesterday, it no longer works.  The error I get in the docker is this: image.thumb.png.69b66d85b8d68519e4decc529d34a97a.png

And I notice that it must be a permission issue, right?  So I go change the files from "root" ownership back to "nobody".  However, after doing this, it immediately returns back to being owned by "root" after it is turned back on.  (Same thing for the "UNKNOWN owner.)image.png.6a5b6e65e0bd5a1e2f1029645b9033e9.png

Looking at the logs in pihole when it is started up shows this:

image.png

And these files that it is referencing are files that keep getting reset to "root" ownership for a reason I don't know how to fix.

How do I resolve this issue?  

i would like you redeploy the container , from scratch , and see if it work.

stop the container
rename /user/appdata/pihole to  /user/appdata/pihole.bkp

and redeploy the container form scratch

let see if that work.....

i have the feeling this have nothing to do with the container but something else

let me know

Edited by ZappyZap