reconstruct write no longer works

Akuno

Today I did transfer two movies with over 100 MB/s from my windows PC to my unraid server. But now any other File will be around 10 MB/s. I did check for unraid updates and restarte the server and my PC several times. I did test my HDD speeds with the "disk speeds" plugin but nothing abnormal could be found and nothing works. It seems that it will write on one of my disks and on the parity disk at the same time. It seems like it uses "read/modify/write" mode. The shares are all set to "High-Water" so as far as I could find this should work, and did work just hours before.
Where should I go from here? What could I check? Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Screenshot 2022-12-25 08.46.20.png

Screenshot 2022-12-25 08.35.32.png

Unbenannt.PNG

11 hours ago, trurl said:

appdata, domains, system shares are all on the array.

What happens if you disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings?

I did turn off both but I still had write speeds around 10 MB/s. Then I did shutdown the server and after a while boot it back up. Now my write speeds are back at 110 MB/s. I have no idea what caused the slowdown but it works again. Thank you for your help.

Edited by Akuno
1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

In the diags posted there's something reading from disk3, that will disable turbo write.

Maybe the log files of a docker? Especially nextcloud loves to write unnecessary logs all the time. At least that is what I did find out when I was trying to get my server into sleep mode. Which was unsucsessfull because of nextcloud. I only did manage to get 2/4 disks to spinn down by moving everything nextcloud relatet on disk 3.

Edited by Akuno
  • 9 months later...

I am transferring a 75gb file from my PC to Unraid server. PC is connected via wifi 6 or 1GBe ethernet and server is connected to router via 2.5GBe ethernet.

On wired its writing at 113MB/s then it drops to about 30 to 60. I reboot the router and then its back up to 113 and now its writing perfectly at 113. 

unraid-diagnostics-20231008-1202.zip

Edited by pras1011

I am currently currently copying across 21TB of data (Video Media files with supporting data files (2-3 files) for each video file) from my Media Server to my Test Bed Server using rysnc.  (See specs of servers in my signature.)  The speed is a consistent 110MB/s.  However, it did slow down when writing to the areas of the 12TB drives where it was reading from the inner tracks of the 3TB drives.  So it does work properly when conditions are correct. But there are problem areas.

First, make sure that you actually have write-reconstruct turned on.  You can tell by looking at the Main tab of the GUI.  All of the disks will be spun up and there will be reads on all of the drives except for the target drive which will be all writes. 

Second, make sure that you are not using a cache drive (or pool).  (That defeats the whole purpose of using write-reconstruct!) This does not appear to be an issue with your setup...

Third, Unraid will use unused RAM to buffer writes to your array.  Until that RAM fills up, you are not see the speed of disks writes but of your RAM speed which is a few orders of magnitude faster than any hard disk.

Fourth, what is the file size?  Small size file (<1MB) write speeds are much slower than writing large files (>1GB) because the file creation process and the disk head movement times to put that information onto the disk.   It is my understand that Unraid 'User Share' file creation process is particularly slow as it adds another software layer onto the top of the standard Linux file writing process. 

Edited by Frank1940

1) it's turned on.

2) I am not using a cache drive

3) OK, I never knew this but I have written 100s of gigabtye in one hit and never had a slowdown like this before

4) I transfer very large 4k films

My server is used for storing films and therefore incredibly basic server setup. 

Edited by pras1011
  • 2 weeks later...

I got a new server and hdds and on ethernet I get 113MB/s and then after about 30GB of writing the speed drops to 31.5MB/s. I wait till its finshed and then I immediatelty write again and it starts at 31.5MB/s. I cancel it and then give it 10 seconds and then start again and it writes at 113MB/s. But sometimes it writes at 31.5. I unplug the ethernet cable on the NUC and then plug it back in and it works at 113.

I am using a Intel NUC with the i225-V maybe its throttling after 30GB? 

Edited by pras1011