[SOLVED]Yet ANOTHER...'Replacing Drives' Question

26 minutes ago, CDLehner said:

So...are we only doing this, and able to do it; because the new 8T...should have exactly the same files, as the old 3T (that replaced it)??

No. We are doing this so the new 8TB disk will be an empty xfs filesystem. The original files are still on disk5 in this new configuration.

Then we can copy files from a reiser disk to this empty new 8TB disk and those copies will be files on an xfs filesystem.

When we have completely copied all files from one of the reiser disks, we can reformat it and it will become an empty xfs filesystem ready to receive copies from other reiser disks so they can be reformatted. Repeat as necessary until all array disks have been reformatted xfs.

At some point we will be able to shrink the array after copying all data from one of those reiser disks, then cache can go back in. I see from previous diagnostics it is already xfs so we are good there.

There are lots of ways to do it. unBALANCE, Dynamix File Manager, command line.

When I did it years ago I just ran mc in screen. Some people used rsync to copy then verify.

Here is the pinned topic about this. I just updated the wiki link in that post.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/54769-format-xfs-on-replacement-drive-convert-from-rfs-to-xfs/

Copy instead of move is the best approach. It is faster and nothing gets deleted from the source drive. Then when you are satisfied with the result the source drive just gets formatted.

2 hours ago, CDLehner said:

Want a diagnostic?

Looks good. Empty xfs filesystem on disk1

Just noticed entries like this in syslog. This warning is something added recently, why we are doing all this

Jan 30 18:40:01 unSERVER kernel: REISERFS warning:  read_super_block: reiserfs filesystem is deprecated and scheduled to be removed from the kernel in 2025

6 minutes ago, trurl said:

There are lots of ways to do it. unBALANCE, Dynamix File Manager, command line.

I think I'm going to stick with unBALANCE. It sure seemed easy enough (the GUI)...until I screwed it up. But I want another shot at it; now that I'm older and wiser, lol.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Just noticed entries like this in syslog. This warning is something added recently, why we are doing all this

Why are we doing all this? Not sure what you're asking?

^Oh...I see what you meant now. Yeah, trust me...I'm happy to be doing it!

So, I'm correct: next step is copy one drive, to the newly formatted 8T xrf? I know it can be any drive...but I'm going to do 430RX 1st; and probably 55926 2nd.

I'll check in after that...unless I run into questions on unBALANCE; because I, ultimately...want 430RX and 55926, out of the array. But I suspect I'l have to leave one of them in...so we have room to copy a disk that is staying in the array to it; and then re-format that "staying" disk, to xrf.

Edited by CDLehner
2 hours ago, CDLehner said:

I'm going to do 430RX 1st; and probably 55926 2nd.

430RX will become empty xfs disk then you will probably have to use it as the destination for files from other reiser disks.

You might want to reconsider doing 55926 next. If you do it later you might not need its space anymore and could just remove it after copying instead of reformatting.

10 hours ago, CDLehner said:

xrf

You've been making that typo consistently recently. It's XFS

10 hours ago, CDLehner said:

Here's a diagnostic, FWIW

Looks good.

Jan 31 00:10:04 unSERVER  sSMTP[22947]: Creating SSL connection to host
Jan 31 00:10:04 unSERVER  sSMTP[22947]: SSL connection using ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384
Jan 31 00:10:05 unSERVER  sSMTP[22947]: Authorization failed (535 5.7.0 ...authentication rejected (6))

Not sure what that is about. Did you get this memo?

51 minutes ago, trurl said:

You've been making that typo consistently recently. It's XFS

Heard.

So...obviously I can still access my GUI. I went to do this step anyway...

Navigate to the Settings → Management Access page in the Unraid webgui and click the "Upgrade Cert" button.

I don't see an 'upgrade cert' button.

unr21.thumb.jpg.5423ade82fe609258ff42fcf190548fb.jpg

Edited by CDLehner
  • CDLehner changed the title to [SOLVED]Yet ANOTHER...'Replacing Drives' Question