[PLUGIN] IPMI for 6.11+

The Readings tab shows blank.  Even after reboot.  I have also used the Default and Reset BMC and re-entered credentials.  I just uninstalled the plugin and installed fresh but it doesn't seem to communicate over network. 

image.thumb.png.dc3a52397ba3ef7b1e5273c1aed43b9b.png

BMC Log not showing any events of attempted sign in from user unRAID

image.thumb.png.2c74dc544aa077d94b7a1b9f79080b81.png

57 minutes ago, ephdisk said:

The Readings tab shows blank.  Even after reboot.  I have also used the Default and Reset BMC and re-entered credentials.  I just uninstalled the plugin and installed fresh but it doesn't seem to communicate over network. 

image.thumb.png.dc3a52397ba3ef7b1e5273c1aed43b9b.png

BMC Log not showing any events of attempted sign in from user unRAID

image.thumb.png.2c74dc544aa077d94b7a1b9f79080b81.png

Can you try replace IP, User and password as required.

/usr/sbin/ipmi-sensors --output-sensor-thresholds --comma-separated-output --output-sensor-state --no-header-output --interpret-oem-data --always-prefix -h "192.168.1.240" -u "ADMIN" -p "ADMIN"

I dont need to see the value of the decode but can you confirm if you take the password value from the config file and replace $PASSWORD does it give you the the correct password for the BMC?

cat /boot/config/plugins/ipmi/ipmi.cfg | grep PASSWORD will show the encoded password. Only put the text between quotes into line below.

echo $PASSWORD | base64 --decode

• Thanks 1

@SimonF

I have it working now! Thank you for helping troubleshoot this.

So this command works under user "ADMIN" but did not work under my custom user account that I created  "unRAID"

Even though I was able to log in to the BMC manually with the "unRAID" user it was not recognizing via the command either.  I just deleted the user from BMC and re-added with the same credentials.  Now it is letting me in and your command works with the re-created user "unRAID".

It is also working from within the GUI Config and now reading properly.  I apologize for not trying this before but my validation was that I could manually log in with those credentials that should mean that the IPMI plugin should be able to as well. 

Thank you again for your insight.  Side note, this is an H12 motherboard using the X11 settings.  As far as I am aware, the BMC is unchanged between the X/H11 and X/H12 boards. 

Edited by ephdisk
  • Like 1

Hey,

is there any chance to get fan control working again for ASRockRack X470D4U?

I had the previous plugin by dmacias working on the bios the board came with, but updated it to the latest bios about a year ago.

After the update the previous plugin could still read the sensors, but not control the fans anymore.

It looks like this version has the same issue. It can read all sensors, but when I try to configure the fans I only get the following:

Checking IPMI fan Locations...

Location 0-1: none

Location 0-2: none

Location 0-3: none

Location 0-4: none

Location 0-5: none

Location 0-6: none

Location 0-7: none

Location 0-8: none

Saving board configuration...

My old fan config is still found somehow even though I uninstalled dmacias' version. I don't think that is causing this though.

2 hours ago, Ariyala said:

Hey,

is there any chance to get fan control working again for ASRockRack X470D4U?

I had the previous plugin by dmacias working on the bios the board came with, but updated it to the latest bios about a year ago.

After the update the previous plugin could still read the sensors, but not control the fans anymore.

It looks like this version has the same issue. It can read all sensors, but when I try to configure the fans I only get the following:

Checking IPMI fan Locations...

Location 0-1: none

Location 0-2: none

Location 0-3: none

Location 0-4: none

Location 0-5: none

Location 0-6: none

Location 0-7: none

Location 0-8: none

Saving board configuration...

My old fan config is still found somehow even though I uninstalled dmacias' version. I don't think that is causing this though.

This plugin is a fork of the original just with fixes for 6.12 for php 8 + 6.12 Dashboard. Where do you see this output?

Also these are the current options used by the pluggin for ASrock.

#############################################

# ASRock

# ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

# ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 AA BB CC DD EE FF GG HH

# 00 = smartfan mode

# 01 - 64  = 1% - 100%

# ASRock Dual Socket

# ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 CPU_1_OVERRIDE CPU_1 REAR_1 FRONT_1 FRONT_2 FRONT_3

# ipmi-raw 00 3a 11 CPU_2_OVERRIDE CPU_2 REAR_2 FRONT_4

# ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 00 AA BB CC DD EE

# ipmi-raw 00 3a 11 00 AA BB CC

Also it seems to be looking for a json file for asrock. Do you have this in /boot/config/plugin/ipmi/

$board_file = "$plg_path/board.json";

$board_file_status = (file_exists($board_file));

$board_json = ($board_file_status) ? json_decode((file_get_contents($board_file)), true) : [];

Edited by SimonF
11 hours ago, ephdisk said:

@SimonF

I have it working now! Thank you for helping troubleshoot this.

So this command works under user "ADMIN" but did not work under my custom user account that I created  "unRAID"

Even though I was able to log in to the BMC manually with the "unRAID" user it was not recognizing via the command either.  I just deleted the user from BMC and re-added with the same credentials.  Now it is letting me in and your command works with the re-created user "unRAID".

It is also working from within the GUI Config and now reading properly.  I apologize for not trying this before but my validation was that I could manually log in with those credentials that should mean that the IPMI plugin should be able to as well. 

Thank you again for your insight.  Side note, this is an H12 motherboard using the X11 settings.  As far as I am aware, the BMC is unchanged between the X/H11 and X/H12 boards. 

Are you talking about the VM override options for X10/X11 I can look to add others.

The following command should be used to id the model. dmidecode -qt2|awk -F: '/^\tProduct Name:/{p=$2} END{print substr(p,3,1)}

Are you using the override? if so does it not work correctly if you dont override?

There are control codes for X9 and then codes for anything that is not X9.

Edited by SimonF
On 3/11/2023 at 11:51 PM, SimonF said:

Also it seems to be looking for a json file for asrock. Do you have this in /boot/config/plugin/ipmi/

$board_file = "$plg_path/board.json";

$board_file_status = (file_exists($board_file));

$board_json = ($board_file_status) ? json_decode((file_get_contents($board_file)), true) : [];

This is the content of my board.json file:

#> cat /boot/config/plugins/ipmi/board.json 
{
    "ASRockRack": {
        "raw": "00 3a 01",
        "auto": "00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00",
        "full": "64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64",
        "fans": {
            "FAN_POS1": "01",
            "FAN_POS2": "01",
            "FAN_POS3": "01",
            "FAN_POS4": "01",
            "FAN_POS5": "01",
            "FAN_POS6": "01",
            "FAN_POS7": "01",
            "FAN_POS8": "01"
        }
    }
}

It used to work fine, but ever since we updated the bios of our board to version P4.20 it stopped working :(

1 hour ago, Ariyala said:

This is the content of my board.json file:

#> cat /boot/config/plugins/ipmi/board.json 
{
    "ASRockRack": {
        "raw": "00 3a 01",
        "auto": "00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00",
        "full": "64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64",
        "fans": {
            "FAN_POS1": "01",
            "FAN_POS2": "01",
            "FAN_POS3": "01",
            "FAN_POS4": "01",
            "FAN_POS5": "01",
            "FAN_POS6": "01",
            "FAN_POS7": "01",
            "FAN_POS8": "01"
        }
    }
}

It used to work fine, but ever since we updated the bios of our board to version P4.20 it stopped working :(

Do you get reading ok, is it just the FAN control?

• 3 weeks later...

I can't get Fan Control to work on Dell PowerEdge T420.

On the Fan Control tab, a popup appears:

Fan Config JSON File Missing!

You have not configured your fans yet. Stop Fan Control and Click the Configure button below to test your fans and determine their location for fan control. All fans will initially be set to full speed. Each location will be tested at one third speed to determine which fan is present. This will take about 1 min. On completion fans will return to auto and you can start fan control.

But there's no Configure button (Fan control is indeed stopped).

Note that I am able to control the fan manually using the ipmitool (installed via NerdTools), eg `ipmitool raw 0x30 0x30 0x01 0x00` and `ipmitool raw 0x30 0x30 0x02 0xff 0x20` to set it to 20%.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for this great plugin to get fan control and other sensor for my Supermicro H12. Question, the fan control area is grouping only fans 1-4 and then FANA. This doesn't work well for my board as I have 7 Fan headers. 1-5 and then FANA & FANB. Is it possible to break these out all into their own control? To get even more granular it would be great if we could also choose the sensor which affects which group (ie CPU for CPU fans).

Maybe I overlooked it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, WoRie said:

I somehow can't save any settings. Whenever I change something and hit "apply" a new tab opens with update.php which is blank and nothing is being saved.

Any ideas?

Do you have the Share Floor plugin installed?   There have been some reports of this causing such an issue.   Also that plugin will no longer be needed when you move to Unraid 6.12.

• 2 weeks later...

i had this working then I canged something and now i get this, any help please?

Fatal error: escapeshellarg(): Input string contains NULL bytes in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ipmi/include/ipmi_options.php on line 27

i have tried reinstalling the pluging in and rebooting unraid to no fix 

EDIT Fixed.  I sshed to the server and edit the ipmi.cfg in /boot/config/plugins/ipmi and removed the username and password fields 

Edited by Smallbaldboy
found a fix
  • 5 weeks later...

I need help, please.

Before updating to 6.12, i had ipmi tool working fine in my supermicro x11.

Now, I updated to 6.12 and install the new ipmi tool but when i got to Settings-> IPMI, I got the IPMI settings page blank.

I check the config file for the plugin and everything sees good.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 20.35.01.png

6 hours ago, fleondelarosa said:

I need help, please.

Now, I updated to 6.12 and install the new ipmi tool but when i got to Settings-> IPMI, I got the IPMI settings page blank.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Same here - updated to 6.12 today. Uninstalling / Installing the plugin did not help. Server is a Supermicro X10SRL-F.

Cheers

1 hour ago, kiwijunglist said:

Sorry for what might be a silly question.

I wanted to investigate software control of my PWM fans connected to motherboard headers so I could tie the fans to HDD temps etc.

My motherboard is Asrock Z790 - https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z790 Pro RS WiFi/index.asp

I have a feeling I can't use the plugin?  At least on first try I wasn't able to get it to see any of the fans.

Thanks

You motherboard needs to support IMPI for this plugin to work.

This may be better for you 

image.png

11 hours ago, fleondelarosa said:

I need help, please.

Any ideas?

Thanks

5 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Uninstalling / Installing the plugin did not help.

Can you provide output of the following removing password or remove the password line from ipmi.cfg and see if that loads?

root@computenode:~# cat /boot/config/plugins/ipmi/fan.cfg
FANCONTROL="disable"
FANPOLL="6"
FANIP=""
HDDPOLL="18"
HDDIGNORE=""
HARDDRIVES="enable"
root@computenode:~# cat /boot/config/plugins/ipmi/ipmi.cfg
IPMISELD="disable"
IPMIPOLL="180"
NETWORK="enable"
LOCAL="disable"