[PLUGIN] IPMI for 6.11+

On 6/22/2023 at 2:56 PM, Fisherman said:

as Froberg wrote, the Noctua fans' minimum speeds need to respected. Perhaps they got messed up in your configuration - as a result, they go to full speed. 
The fan speeds going up/down sounds like a wrong setting in your mainboard's fan mode settings - to be able to control them using Unraid's IPMI plugin, they need to be set to "Full Speed".

FanSpeed (2).png

Hi @Fisherman

Thanks for your advice but of course that is done, my Fan are set to Full Speed.

I check internet before asking for help here.

For me, looks like i have the wrong ipmifan file, do you know where to find the updated version?

On 6/19/2023 at 8:35 AM, SimonF said:

I did not write the original plugin, Changes I have made where to make 6.12 compatible. Why do you need to down load a new version of ipmifan on the previous version?

If the fans are pulsing it sounds like the fan speed is going to low and the system thinks it fails and spins up all fans. So you may need to check the thresholds 

What are the values of your fans?

image.png

Sorry, forgot the screenshoot.

But when you said that i am using the old ipmifan file..... uhm... that should be the problem, just need to know where to find it, google doesn´t help me.

1108442859_Screenshot2023-06-28at22_41_22.thumb.png.674214728c36baaf6e0dd82ccc117ed2.png

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 22.20.18.png

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 22.41.22.png

22 hours ago, fleondelarosa said:

Sorry, forgot the screenshoot.

But when you said that i am using the old ipmifan file..... uhm... that should be the problem, just need to know where to find it, google doesn´t help me.

1108442859_Screenshot2023-06-28at22_41_22.thumb.png.674214728c36baaf6e0dd82ccc117ed2.png

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 22.20.18.png

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 22.41.22.png

The fan file is included in the plugin so you should not need to replace.

On 6/28/2023 at 9:29 PM, fleondelarosa said:

Hi @Fisherman

Thanks for your advice but of course that is done, my Fan are set to Full Speed.

I check internet before asking for help here.

For me, looks like i have the wrong ipmifan file, do you know where to find the updated version?

okay... you wrote in the post to which I replied, that you set the fans to quiet speed, hence my hint to set them to full speed. Glad you solved the problem.
848637541_Ashampoo_Snap_Freitag30.Juni2023_00h12m10s_001_.thumb.png.0bcbc38e80575ca3acec5addecd705ff.png

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to get this to work with an ASROCK RACK X570D4U or X570D4U-2L2T?

The previous plugin version had a patch that was supposed to work for these models but it doesn't work with this new plugin.

All readings and communication seem to be working but when I do a CONFIGURE for the fans, it only detects ONE of my 5 fans. And control doesn't seem to be working.

Hello,

Thank you for this plugin, it works really well with my Supermicro X10DRC board in my plex server. I have FAN1234 (the fan wall) being controlled based on HDD temp, but when the hard drives spin down after 8 hours of being idle the fans are defaulting back to full speed. I have also tried setting the temperature sensor to auto hoping that when the hard drives spin down the fan control will switch to being controlled by the CPU temperatures, but they still seem to default back to full speed regardless. If I set the temperature sensor to CPU, it works fine, but in my setup its not enough to control the temperature of the hard drives unfortunately. Is there something I'm missing in the settings that would help?

Thank you in advance

I have Supermicro X11SCH-LN4F with a Noctua fan connected to FANB and noticed the fan control channel for FANAB is not available anymore in the plugin. Only the FAN1234 channel is showing up there. I am pretty shure there were 2 separate fan control channels for FAN1234 and FANAB before. I am not shure when the controls for FANAB have disappeared. According the the readings FANB is still running and reporting a valid speed.

I saw that some else had the same problem in the old thread a few years ago and solved it by plugging the fan to FANA but this is not an option for me. Is there a a way to check if there is a problem with the control signals on this channel? I also noticed that this fan reported 0 rpm a few times in the last weeks which caused all fans to spin up to their maximum speed. I had this problem when I first set up my server and what I read about the low speed reporting seems to be normal at least for Noctua fans since they spin slower than other fans. I usually adjust the minimum speed of these fans and this has worked for me over the past years. So I don't know why this is happening again and why the fan controls are missing.

14 hours ago, andreworkaholic said:

Hello,

Thank you for this plugin, it works really well with my Supermicro X10DRC board in my plex server. I have FAN1234 (the fan wall) being controlled based on HDD temp, but when the hard drives spin down after 8 hours of being idle the fans are defaulting back to full speed. I have also tried setting the temperature sensor to auto hoping that when the hard drives spin down the fan control will switch to being controlled by the CPU temperatures, but they still seem to default back to full speed regardless. If I set the temperature sensor to CPU, it works fine, but in my setup its not enough to control the temperature of the hard drives unfortunately. Is there something I'm missing in the settings that would help?

Thank you in advance

Do you have any other disks or just array disks?

3 minutes ago, kennymc.c said:

I have Supermicro X11SCH-LN4F with a Noctua fan connected to FANB and noticed the fan control channel for FANAB is not available anymore in the plugin. Only the FAN1234 channel is showing up there. I am pretty shure there were 2 separate fan control channels for FAN1234 and FANAB before. I am not shure when the controls for FANAB have disappeared. According the the readings FANB is still running and reporting a valid speed.

I saw that some else had the same problem in the old thread a few years ago and solved it by plugging the fan to FANA but this is not an option for me. Is there a a way to check if there is a problem with the control signals on this channel? I also noticed that this fan reported 0 rpm a few times in the last weeks which caused all fans to spin up to their maximum speed. I had this problem when I first set up my server and what I read about the low speed reporting seems to be normal at least for Noctua fans since they spin slower than other fans. I usually adjust the minimum speed of these fans and this has worked for me over the past years. So I don't know why this is happening again and why the fan controls are missing.

Can you provide the output of 

ipmi-sensors

root@unraid:~# ipmi-sensors
ID   | Name            | Type              | Reading    | Units | Event
4    | CPU1 Temp       | Temperature       | 49.00      | C     | 'OK'
71   | CPU2 Temp       | Temperature       | 54.00      | C     | 'OK'
138  | System Temp     | Temperature       | 49.00      | C     | 'OK'
205  | Peripheral Temp | Temperature       | 38.00      | C     | 'OK'
272  | PCH Temp        | Temperature       | 61.00      | C     | 'OK'
339  | P1-DIMMA1 TEMP  | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
406  | P1-DIMMA2 TEMP  | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
473  | P1-DIMMB1 TEMP  | Temperature       | 46.00      | C     | 'OK'
540  | P1-DIMMB2 TEMP  | Temperature       | 46.00      | C     | 'OK'
607  | P1-DIMMC1 TEMP  | Temperature       | 50.00      | C     | 'OK'
674  | P1-DIMMC2 TEMP  | Temperature       | 50.00      | C     | 'OK'
741  | P1-DIMMD1 TEMP  | Temperature       | 50.00      | C     | 'OK'
808  | P1-DIMMD2 TEMP  | Temperature       | 48.00      | C     | 'OK'
875  | P2-DIMME1 TEMP  | Temperature       | 49.00      | C     | 'OK'
942  | P2-DIMME2 TEMP  | Temperature       | 48.00      | C     | 'OK'
1009 | P2-DIMMF1 TEMP  | Temperature       | 47.00      | C     | 'OK'
1076 | P2-DIMMF2 TEMP  | Temperature       | 48.00      | C     | 'OK'
1143 | P2-DIMMG1 TEMP  | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
1210 | P2-DIMMG2 TEMP  | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
1277 | P2-DIMMH1 TEMP  | Temperature       | 51.00      | C     | 'OK'
1344 | P2-DIMMH2 TEMP  | Temperature       | 51.00      | C     | 'OK'
1411 | FAN1            | Fan               | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
1478 | FAN2            | Fan               | 675.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
1545 | FAN3            | Fan               | 675.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
1612 | FAN4            | Fan               | 1125.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
1679 | FAN5            | Fan               | 675.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
1746 | FAN6            | Fan               | 675.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
1813 | FANA            | Fan               | 750.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
1880 | FANB            | Fan               | 675.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
1947 | VTT             | Voltage           | 0.99       | V     | 'OK'
2014 | CPU1 Vcore      | Voltage           | 0.94       | V     | 'OK'
2081 | CPU2 Vcore      | Voltage           | 1.06       | V     | 'OK'
2148 | VDIMM AB        | Voltage           | 1.33       | V     | 'OK'
2215 | VDIMM CD        | Voltage           | 1.34       | V     | 'OK'
2282 | VDIMM EF        | Voltage           | 1.34       | V     | 'OK'
2349 | VDIMM GH        | Voltage           | 1.33       | V     | 'OK'
2416 | +1.1 V          | Voltage           | 1.09       | V     | 'OK'
2483 | +1.5 V          | Voltage           | 1.49       | V     | 'OK'
2550 | 3.3V            | Voltage           | 3.22       | V     | 'OK'
2617 | +3.3VSB         | Voltage           | 3.36       | V     | 'OK'
2684 | 5V              | Voltage           | 4.99       | V     | 'OK'
2751 | +5VSB           | Voltage           | 4.93       | V     | 'OK'
2818 | 12V             | Voltage           | 11.98      | V     | 'OK'
2885 | VBAT            | Voltage           | 3.22       | V     | 'OK'
2952 | HDD Status      | Drive Slot        | N/A        | N/A   | N/A
3019 | Chassis Intru   | Physical Security | N/A        | N/A   | 'OK'
root@unraid:~# 

4    | CPU Temp        | Temperature       | 32.00      | C     | 'OK'
71   | Inlet Temp      | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
138  | PCH Temp        | Temperature       | 62.00      | C     | 'OK'
205  | System Temp     | Temperature       | 31.00      | C     | 'OK'
272  | Peripheral Temp | Temperature       | 46.00      | C     | 'OK'
339  | VRMCpu Temp     | Temperature       | 39.00      | C     | 'OK'
406  | M2NVMeSSD Temp1 | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
473  | M2NVMeSSD Temp2 | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
540  | FAN1            | Fan               | 500.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
607  | FAN2            | Fan               | 400.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
674  | FAN3            | Fan               | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
741  | FAN4            | Fan               | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
808  | FANA            | Fan               | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
875  | FANB            | Fan               | 300.00     | RPM   | 'At or Below (<=) Lower Non-Critical Threshold'
942  | DIMMA1 Temp     | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
1009 | DIMMA2 Temp     | Temperature       | 30.00      | C     | 'OK'
1076 | DIMMB1 Temp     | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
1143 | DIMMB2 Temp     | Temperature       | 30.00      | C     | 'OK'
1210 | 12V             | Voltage           | 12.22      | V     | 'OK'
1277 | 5VCC            | Voltage           | 5.06       | V     | 'OK'
1344 | 3.3VCC          | Voltage           | 3.32       | V     | 'OK'
1411 | VBAT            | Battery           | N/A        | N/A   | 'battery presence detected' 'Unrecognized Event = 0100h' 'Unrecognized Event = 0200h' 'Unrecognized Event = 0400h' 'Unrecognized Event = 0800h' 'Unrecognized Event = 1000h' 'Unrecognized Event = 2000h' 'Unrecognized Event = 4000h'
1478 | VCPU            | Voltage           | 1.16       | V     | 'OK'
1545 | VDIMMAB         | Voltage           | 1.22       | V     | 'OK'
1612 | VCC_SA          | Voltage           | 1.06       | V     | 'OK'
1679 | 5VSB            | Voltage           | 5.16       | V     | 'OK'
1746 | 3.3VSB          | Voltage           | 3.37       | V     | 'OK'
1813 | VCC_IO          | Voltage           | 0.95       | V     | 'OK'
1880 | 1.8V_PCH        | Voltage           | 1.83       | V     | 'OK'
1947 | 1.2V_BMC        | Voltage           | 1.22       | V     | 'OK'
2014 | 1.05V_PCH       | Voltage           | 1.05       | V     | 'OK'
2081 | 1.8V_PCH_GPPA   | Voltage           | 1.84       | V     | 'OK'
2148 | Chassis Intru   | Physical Security | N/A        | N/A   | 'OK'

When the setting was still available I set the minimum speed of FANB to around 30-31%

2 hours ago, SimonF said:

Do you have any other disks or just array disks?

Thank you for the reply Simon. I do have the cache pool that remains active all the time, but they are nvme SSDs that stay around 18-20 °C. I did try setting the "Low temperature threshold (°C)" to the minimum of 20 and adding these drives to polled hard drives to see if it would change anything, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I figured it was because they were operating outside the low threshold. Do I need to just keep one of the array drives active all the time? Thank you again.

2 hours ago, kennymc.c said:
4    | CPU Temp        | Temperature       | 32.00      | C     | 'OK'
71   | Inlet Temp      | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
138  | PCH Temp        | Temperature       | 62.00      | C     | 'OK'
205  | System Temp     | Temperature       | 31.00      | C     | 'OK'
272  | Peripheral Temp | Temperature       | 46.00      | C     | 'OK'
339  | VRMCpu Temp     | Temperature       | 39.00      | C     | 'OK'
406  | M2NVMeSSD Temp1 | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
473  | M2NVMeSSD Temp2 | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
540  | FAN1            | Fan               | 500.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
607  | FAN2            | Fan               | 400.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
674  | FAN3            | Fan               | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
741  | FAN4            | Fan               | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
808  | FANA            | Fan               | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
875  | FANB            | Fan               | 300.00     | RPM   | 'At or Below (<=) Lower Non-Critical Threshold'
942  | DIMMA1 Temp     | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
1009 | DIMMA2 Temp     | Temperature       | 30.00      | C     | 'OK'
1076 | DIMMB1 Temp     | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
1143 | DIMMB2 Temp     | Temperature       | 30.00      | C     | 'OK'
1210 | 12V             | Voltage           | 12.22      | V     | 'OK'
1277 | 5VCC            | Voltage           | 5.06       | V     | 'OK'
1344 | 3.3VCC          | Voltage           | 3.32       | V     | 'OK'
1411 | VBAT            | Battery           | N/A        | N/A   | 'battery presence detected' 'Unrecognized Event = 0100h' 'Unrecognized Event = 0200h' 'Unrecognized Event = 0400h' 'Unrecognized Event = 0800h' 'Unrecognized Event = 1000h' 'Unrecognized Event = 2000h' 'Unrecognized Event = 4000h'
1478 | VCPU            | Voltage           | 1.16       | V     | 'OK'
1545 | VDIMMAB         | Voltage           | 1.22       | V     | 'OK'
1612 | VCC_SA          | Voltage           | 1.06       | V     | 'OK'
1679 | 5VSB            | Voltage           | 5.16       | V     | 'OK'
1746 | 3.3VSB          | Voltage           | 3.37       | V     | 'OK'
1813 | VCC_IO          | Voltage           | 0.95       | V     | 'OK'
1880 | 1.8V_PCH        | Voltage           | 1.83       | V     | 'OK'
1947 | 1.2V_BMC        | Voltage           | 1.22       | V     | 'OK'
2014 | 1.05V_PCH       | Voltage           | 1.05       | V     | 'OK'
2081 | 1.8V_PCH_GPPA   | Voltage           | 1.84       | V     | 'OK'
2148 | Chassis Intru   | Physical Security | N/A        | N/A   | 'OK'

When the setting was still available I set the minimum speed of FANB to around 30-31%

I have searched the code and cannot find any reference to FANB, where did you see that before?

35 minutes ago, andreworkaholic said:

Thank you for the reply Simon. I do have the cache pool that remains active all the time, but they are nvme SSDs that stay around 18-20 °C. I did try setting the "Low temperature threshold (°C)" to the minimum of 20 and adding these drives to polled hard drives to see if it would change anything, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I figured it was because they were operating outside the low threshold. Do I need to just keep one of the array drives active all the time? Thank you again.

I would not expect you to keep a drive running, but may take me a while to review the code as I did not write the original plugin.

1 minute ago, SimonF said:

I have searched the code and cannot find any reference to FANB, where did you see that before?

At least there were two different channels where I could assign each of them to specific sensors or hard drives. I used to have an additional fan connected to FANA. Could this cause the channel to disappear because the plugin just checks if a fan is connected to FANA but not FANB? This would also explain why the channel reappears when you connect something to FANA instead of FANB.

19 hours ago, kennymc.c said:

At least there were two different channels where I could assign each of them to specific sensors or hard drives. I used to have an additional fan connected to FANA. Could this cause the channel to disappear because the plugin just checks if a fan is connected to FANA but not FANB? This would also explain why the channel reappears when you connect something to FANA instead of FANB.

I figured out why the second channel had disappeared. I had deactivated FANA in the global available sensors, because I did not connect a fan to this pin header. When I plugged in the fan to test it on FANA and then turned on this setting again, the second channel was visible again. But it is in fact just called FANA even if it also controls FANB.
I think this is a bug, because as soon as I deactivate FANA again, FANA in fan control also disappears even if there is still a fan connected to FANB. Probably it was not considered during the development that there are also boards with a FANB header.

Unfortunately, I now have another problem. According the sensors, although I have only connected a fan to FANB, FANA is now reporting 0 rpm. Other not connected pin headers are shown as N/A. Unfortunately a reboot doesn't help. I have the same problem with FANB when I connect the fan to FANA. Even if both are not connected, they are still shown as connected with 0 rpm.

EDIT: Had to factory reset the IPMI interface to solve this. Maintenance/Unit Reset didn't work.

Edited by kennymc.c
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Demthios said:

I just installed this on to my Dell R720 and the readings work, I can see temps and fan speeds. But when I go to Fan Config there is no button to configure the fans and it is saying I'm missing the Fan Json is there any fix for this? Thanks

There is currently no support for Dell fan control in the plugin.

@SimonF
I just installed you plugin and and works great! A big thank you for your work!

My main focus actually was on the Power Consumption reading via IPMI and it doesn't seem to be supported yet.

Is the a chance to add that in the future and also save the logs so one would have a longer timeperiod avail. as the standard 7 days via IPMI?

Best

sm

8 hours ago, sPaCeMoNk3y said:

@SimonF
I just installed you plugin and and works great! A big thank you for your work!

My main focus actually was on the Power Consumption reading via IPMI and it doesn't seem to be supported yet.

Is the a chance to add that in the future and also save the logs so one would have a longer timeperiod avail. as the standard 7 days via IPMI?

Best

sm

The plugin users ipmisensors, where would the Power Consumption come from as does not appear in my output.