[Plugin] Tailscale

6 hours ago, Mito17 said:

Hi, 

I am pretty new to this whole home server / unraid world, so I am sorry if this is a dumb question.

I have installed the tailscale plugin, registered the server and everything worked so far. I am able to connect the Unraid via my iPhone, the connection is somehow slow, but maybe thats normal?

The main reason why I wanted to use Tailscale is Jellyfin. I managed to get the connection in the Jellyfin App and with Infuse by using the Tailscale IP with Port 8096 for Jellyfin.

My library is loading on both Jellyfin and Infuse App, but the movies won't start. 

I also tried it on my iPad as i thought maybe the iPhone is the problem, but it does't work. 

I also tried the manage my jDownloader via Tailscale by using a hotspot from my iPhone to my Laptop.

It works but it's really very slow, so that might be the problem.

I don't know why it is that slow, cause I have 5G on my Phone and Speedtest says 150 Mbps. 

Is there anything I can do/try? 

I would guess that your connection is being relayed, which will slow things down a lot.

You can check that by running "tailscale status" from the Unraid CLI.

Alrigthy, after some more problems, I may have found the culprit. I have two servers in my tailnet — one at home, and one remotely. Both of them were set up with the plugin to run as exit nodes and advertise the same IP range (192.168.0.0/16) and both of them are on the same local IP: 192.168.0.1. After I deactivated the subnets on the other server via Tailscale, I managed to connect to the one I had issues with. @EDACerton - is this expected behaviour? What would be your recommendations in this case? 

Thank you!

On 10/16/2024 at 10:30 PM, EDACerton said:

If you think there's a bug in the Tailscale DNS implementation

I thought to post here first to get any possible feedback to add to a bug report - especially since I'm now using Headscale and not Tailscale's own coordination server. So this has nothing to do with Unraid specifically, but this is the only forum I participate in with other Tailscale users. ;)

Edited by Espressomatic

i ran tailscale up --accept-routes --advertise-routes=xxx --accept-dns=false

under info tab it will show Accept Route to Yes

but if the plugin restarts, some how the Accept Route becomes No and Health shows "

Some peers are advertising routes but --accept-routes is false"

I then had to run the tailscale up command again, restart the service to get Accept Route to Yes and health no longer shows issues

how to I make sure the settings are saved

Edited by Kira
40 minutes ago, jsmitchell3 said:

I'm having the same "tailscale output not defined" error after updating the plugin this morning. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I have downloaded the plugin diagnostics as indicated but don't know how to use it! please help :)

1 hour ago, HHUBS said:

Hello, can you please help me. It says, "Tailscale output not defined" in the settings tab. My Tailscale plugin is 2024.10.17.  What should I do? I tried to re-install but still the same.

And in the meantime, I'm looking to see what could cause that particular error... have either of you previously disabled Tailscale in the settings?

2 minutes ago, EDACerton said:

Give me about 10 minutes and I should have a fix to the preview branch.

And in the meantime, I'm looking to see what could cause that particular error... have either of you previously disabled Tailscale in the settings?

Yes, mine was disable before I updated to 1.76.1 :)

Hello, is there a switch to enable exit-node and set advertise routes? Would be nice to have that in the gui. I tried running 

tailscale up -advertise-exit-node -accept-routes -advertise-routes=192.168.0.0/24

and I get error that I must run 

tailscale up --accept-routes --advertise-exit-node --advertise-routes=192.168.0.0/24 --accept-dns=false

when I did, I lost access to my server entirely (all docker services and gui, even ping stopped responding) and had to restart my server...

Edited by Nodiaque
5 minutes ago, Nodiaque said:

Hello, is there a switch to enable exit-node and set advertise routes? Would be nice to have that in the gui. I tried running 

tailscale up -advertise-exit-node -accept-routes -advertise-routes=192.168.0.0/24

and I get error that I must run 

tailscale up --accept-routes --advertise-exit-node --advertise-routes=192.168.0.0/24 --accept-dns=false

when I did, I lost access to my server entirely (all docker services and gui, even ping stopped responding) and had to restart my server...

edit: it's worst.... after a reboot, tailscale plugin get back up and I lose the connection again. I don't even have time to have the gui start.... I'm completly locked out and since I have docker using the GPU, I can't use the gui directly on the computer.

https://selfhosters.net/remote/tailscale/advanced/

For your connectivity problem — my guess is that you can probably get to the WebGUI using the Tailscale IP, if you can, turn off accept-routes.

If that doesn’t work, disable the routes on the Tailscale admin console side and you will get back in. Then turn off accept-routes. 

Just now, Nodiaque said:

what does accept-routes do in the end? I notice that it's not enable on tailscale on my pfsense installation

It allows Tailscale to send traffic to the networks advertised by subnet routers. 

It’s helpful for client devices that roam. It’s usually not helpful for servers. 

On my client, I have a warning saying "DNS Unavailable. Tailscale can't reach the configured DNS servers. Internet connectivity may be affected". 

When I do a nslookup, I see it's tailscale dns that answer

nslookup nodered.########.duckdns.org
Serveur :   magicdns.localhost-tailscale-daemon
Address:  100.100.100.100

Nom :    nodered.########.duckdns.org
Address:  192.168.0.4

but it does have the local ip address.

Is it because in the Admin Console, under DNS, I entered the local ip of my 2 pihole server? Since it's local ip, tailscale can't reach it from outside the vpn?

You’re out of scope for the plugin at that point, questions about setting up pihole/etc. as the DNS for your tailnet would be better addressed by either whoever made the guide you’re following (if you’re using one) or a more Tailscale-focused forum. 

I’m happy to help with issues with the plugin itself, but I don’t have the time to do personal consulting for how to set up your tailnet services.