Immich docker self-hosted google photos setup

Hi,

Trying to install immich and getting:

ERROR [ExceptionHandler] getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND database
Error: getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND database

I am using the docker compose stack as per the site....is it still the best way to deploy?

thanks

On 7/29/2024 at 4:18 PM, bar1 said:

Hi,

Trying to install immich and getting:

ERROR [ExceptionHandler] getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND database
Error: getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND database

I am using the docker compose stack as per the site....is it still the best way to deploy?

thanks

"using docker compose stack as per the site" I'm going to assume that you are referring to the Immich site?

I would highly recommend following the steps laid out by Space Invader One. Running on unRaid is not always accounted for when developers write how-tos for Docker, but Ed makes it easy to follow for us. Without knowing anything about your config, i would suspect the immich app is looking for the database, but can't find it.

If you get through the youtube video and still have issues, please post your app template and maybe we can help you out.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone gotten the spaceinvader method to work with a MACVLAN network?

I have been able to get Immich up and running on a bridge network. However, I only have access through the app via a local IP address. I do have a cloudflare tunnel that is working and can access immich from the outside through a web browser just fine. I would like to be able to solve this issue by using split DNS through pi hole.

When I try to put Immich on the br0 network, it can't seem to access the PostGresSQL_Immich docker.

image.thumb.png.fff0e63c453212fb98245d5178132b72.png

This same error occurs if I try to move the database to the br0 network as well and assign it static IP address.

I also have other dockers on the br0 network that are working fine as well.

As soon as I change immich back to the bridge network everything works just fine..

Hi, 

I have had everything running via cloudflare tunnel, followed @SpaceInvaderOne guide but after a month I have received an email from cloudflare advising me of my analytics, 44.63K requests! 507 visits!

Is this something I should be concerned about? I have 6 family members using immich on their phones for my setup.

image.thumb.png.1fa46766d400a5d7a6554f74d4758b70.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2024 at 2:51 AM, capnJiP said:

"using docker compose stack as per the site" I'm going to assume that you are referring to the Immich site?

I would highly recommend following the steps laid out by Space Invader One. Running on unRaid is not always accounted for when developers write how-tos for Docker, but Ed makes it easy to follow for us. Without knowing anything about your config, i would suspect the immich app is looking for the database, but can't find it.

If you get through the youtube video and still have issues, please post your app template and maybe we can help you out.

Hi,

I have a question concerning the youtube tutorial. When I try to set up the Immich container the template asks for "MACHINE_LEARNING_HOST:" and "MACHINE_LEARNING_PORT:". These two sections did not exist yet when the video was done. Do I need to amend them, especially the 0.0.0.0 host?

Many Thanks for your reply and help!

3 hours ago, Pencils said:

Hi,

I have a question concerning the youtube tutorial. When I try to set up the Immich container the template asks for "MACHINE_LEARNING_HOST:" and "MACHINE_LEARNING_PORT:". These two sections did not exist yet when the video was done. Do I need to amend them, especially the 0.0.0.0 host?

Many Thanks for your reply and help!

I don't have these vars on mine. I set it up long before SI1 did his video. I THINK maybe that's only for setting up an external ML container outside of the AIO imagegenius container. I could be wrong, though. 

All I know is mine works. 😄 

Did a quick search on the Discord channel and I saw this post from June. Apparently those vars have been changed/deprecated?

for ML I did just realize I was still using MACHINE_LEARNING_PORT and MACHINE_LEARNING_HOST as variables and the breaking changes say it's IMMICH_PORT and IMMICH_HOST:

2. Environment variables

SERVER_PORT, MICROSERVICES_PORT, and MACHINE_LEARNING_PORT were renamed to IMMICH_PORT

HOST and MACHINE_LEARNING_HOST were renamed to IMMICH_HOST

"

And a reply from mertalev:

"

You're not supposed to change these envs unless you have a crazy setup

Remove these envs and reset ml settings in the Immich admin section if you have changed something here

"

So I think you can leave those out.

Edited by Mattaton
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply!

Leave this out as in do not change them?

Is the Immich Docker in community add-ons generally so well maintained that it will work with relative low maintenance or does it require regular checks of the variables?

4 hours ago, Pencils said:

Thanks for your reply!

Leave this out as in do not change them?

Is the Immich Docker in community add-ons generally so well maintained that it will work with relative low maintenance or does it require regular checks of the variables?

I don't have those vars at all on my set up. Not just blank, but removed (never had them).

I believe there are built in default for them, so you only need them if you need to change the setting. Which it sounds like you don't. 

I've had to change the template once, maybe twice, in the time I've had it running. Generally very low maintenance. Even with some of the breaking changes in immich, they've kinda done the work for us with the AIO. I have updated the container every time there's an update with no issues at all. 

Trying to recall, but I think the biggest changes I've had to make were switching to the vector postgresql repo and changing to the cuda tag on the immich repo (because I have an Nvidia GPU).

Best advice would be to check the release notes each time there's an update to make sure there're no hoops to jump through. So far that's told me everything I need to know to keep it spinning like a top. 😊 

Oh, and definitely join the Discord server. Very helpful folks over there. Not that there aren't helpful folks here, but the Discord server is very active with immich as the main focus.

Edited by Mattaton
  • Thanks 1

Great, thanks.

I have eventually settled to a new start and set up immich and postgres again. It is currently going though the external libraries etc.

One thing I never got working was using the companion app (android in my case). It never worked and also now again all I get is an error message: "Your App and major version is not compatible with the server!"

Both are 1.112.1

The app's log says "pinging server with response code 200" from API service"

A slightly more detailed (buts still very abbreviated) log here:

2024-08-30 00:04:54.853658 | INFO     | ApiService           | Pinging server with response code 200 |
2024-08-30 00:04:05.828037 | SEVERE   | AuthenticationNotifier | Logout failed | LateInitializationError: Field 'authenticationApi' has not been initialized. |

2024-08-30 00:04:05.827877 | SEVERE   | SplashScreenPage     | Unable to login using offline or online methods - Logging out completely |
2024-08-30 00:04:05.827612 | SEVERE   | SplashScreenPage     | Missing authentication, server, or endpoint info from the local store |

Any idea what could be wrong? I tried clearing the app's data and cache but no change.

20 hours ago, Pencils said:

Great, thanks.

I have eventually settled to a new start and set up immich and postgres again. It is currently going though the external libraries etc.

One thing I never got working was using the companion app (android in my case). It never worked and also now again all I get is an error message: "Your App and major version is not compatible with the server!"

Both are 1.112.1

The app's log says "pinging server with response code 200" from API service"

A slightly more detailed (buts still very abbreviated) log here:

2024-08-30 00:04:54.853658 | INFO     | ApiService           | Pinging server with response code 200 |
2024-08-30 00:04:05.828037 | SEVERE   | AuthenticationNotifier | Logout failed | LateInitializationError: Field 'authenticationApi' has not been initialized. |

2024-08-30 00:04:05.827877 | SEVERE   | SplashScreenPage     | Unable to login using offline or online methods - Logging out completely |
2024-08-30 00:04:05.827612 | SEVERE   | SplashScreenPage     | Missing authentication, server, or endpoint info from the local store |

Any idea what could be wrong? I tried clearing the app's data and cache but no change.

If you haven't already, this would be a great request to bring to the Discord server. There's a support channel there that would be best equipped to help you with something like this.

16 hours ago, Mattaton said:

If you haven't already, this would be a great request to bring to the Discord server. There's a support channel there that would be best equipped to help you with something like this.

Will do so, just need to sign up first. Thanks for the tip 👍

On 8/30/2024 at 8:52 PM, Mattaton said:

Hi there,

I tried and signed up to the Unraid official channel but there appears only to be Unraid connect related information and general rules/announcements/news.

Which discord server are you talking about explicitly?

11 minutes ago, Pencils said:

Hi there,

I tried and signed up to the Unraid official channel but there appears only to be Unraid connect related information and general rules/announcements/news.

Which discord server are you talking about explicitly?

The immich discord server, not unraid. 😄

Hey.  I noticed that the PostgreSQL_Immich container has no permissions for group or other by default. If I manually change them to read-only, they revert to none when the container is restarted.  This is messing with my backups, and I don't have this issue with any of my other containers.  Any idea how to fix this such that group/other are persistently read-only? Thank you!

14 hours ago, Marco84 said:

Hey.  I noticed that the PostgreSQL_Immich container has no permissions for group or other by default. If I manually change them to read-only, they revert to none when the container is restarted.  This is messing with my backups, and I don't have this issue with any of my other containers.  Any idea how to fix this such that group/other are persistently read-only? Thank you!

I've had this problem with postgresql (and other containers) for a while. Are you seeing that the owner of postgresql config folder also changes to UNKNOWN? I have yet to understand why this happens.

I have set up a user script (user scripts plugin) that changes the owner to nobody each night before backups are set to run.