[Support] - Unifi-Controller: Unifi. Unraid. Reborn.

On 11/4/2023 at 2:41 PM, PeteAsking said:

If you deploy the image first by following step 4 without doing this, and let it create the docker appdata directory, then you will need to stop the docker then run these commands and start it again afterwards:

mkdir /mnt/user/appdata/unifi-controller-reborn

Another minor issue, if you have already installed the docker then the mkdir command will fail with directory already exists. Only the commands after that are needed.

Also, I never got a popup window with the necessary commands to modify the appdata directory. Maybe you have done away with that???

I see that the instructions have been added to the pane in the Apps tab.

Overall the install was unevenful because I knew what was required. I think many people won't though and will be posting for help with the install until you can get the initial permissions issue resolved (hopefully).

There also seems to be an issue (probably with Unifi) where restores never complete. I noticed the same thing when installing UNA. The page just sits with a notification that the app is restoring. I had to refresh the page and in the case of this docker restart the docker.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Another minor issue, if you have already installed the docker then the mkdir command will fail with directory already exists. Only the commands after that are needed.

Also, I never got a popup window with the necessary commands to modify the appdata directory. Maybe you have done away with that???

I see that the instructions have been added to the pane in the Apps tab.

Overall the install was unevenful because I knew what was required. I think many people won't though and will be posting for help with the install until you can get the initial permissions issue resolved (hopefully).

There also seems to be an issue (probably with Unifi) where restores never complete. I noticed the same thing when installing UNA. The page just sits with a notification that the app is restoring. I had to refresh the page and in the case of this docker restart the docker.

Interesting, thank you. Does clicking on the docker and choosing "webui" work for you now?

Also I will try fix the directory permissions but this is a harder problem to resolve.

I will update the support forum link

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

Does clicking on the docker and choosing "webui" work for you now?

Yes. There is actually a confirmation popup showing that a reboot is required and asking if the user wants to continue the restore process. If you select continue a notification will popup showing a restoring message. It doesn’t seem to ever go away. I waited a few minutes and then refreshed the window. IIRC I got a failed to connect message. Restarting the docker corrected the issue. 

I think this is probably a unifi issue. Just posting this in case anyone else has issues with the restore.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Yes. There is actually a confirmation popup showing that a reboot is required and asking if the user wants to continue the restore process. If you select continue a notification will popup showing a restoring message. It doesn’t seem to ever go away. I waited a few minutes and then refreshed the window. IIRC I got a failed to connect message. Restarting the docker corrected the issue. 

I think this is probably a unifi issue. Just posting this in case anyone else has issues with the restore.

You are correct, when you do a restore, there is no confirmation at all it has restored. You simply see the docker stop on unraid and when it is stopped, then you can start it again, and the restore completed. No other information is presented.

19 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

You simply see the docker stop on unraid and when it is stopped, then you can start it again, and the restore completed.

The docker never stopped as far as I could tell. I guess it’s possible that the docker restarted while I was watching the webUI and I didn’t notice. I had to manually restart the docker to gain access to the webUI after restoring.

1 hour ago, wgstarks said:

The docker never stopped as far as I could tell. I guess it’s possible that the docker restarted while I was watching the webUI and I didn’t notice. I had to manually restart the docker to gain access to the webUI after restoring.

May have to refresh the unraid docker page

2 hours ago, PeteAsking said:

I have an image that is now expected to work without changing the directory permissions, I have updated the XML but have to wait for community apps to refresh. I will check back in 4 hours and see if its refreshed and test it.

Update went smoothly. No issues. Didn’t test the permissions for appdata configuration though since that was already setup manually.

Support link still directs to the project page though.

To start from scratch and check directory perms are working as intended:

Make a backup in running docker

Stop docker

Use gui to remove docker and check "also remove image"

SSH:

rm -r unifi-controller-reborn/

rm /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user/my-unifi-controller-reborn.xml

Everything is now clear, install as normal and use backup file. Follow instructions on page 1 (updated them).

check directory perms using ls -l

should be : drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users

P

@wgstarks

Edited by PeteAsking
8 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Update went smoothly. No issues. Didn’t test the permissions for appdata configuration though since that was already setup manually.

Support link still directs to the project page though.

I did make a one-timer throw from Raspi4 7.4 version to Unraid 7.5 without any problems in couple minutes. Everything is working fine except WebUI. I did make docker ip address same as Raspi4 had and there is no other apps running in Raspi4 anymore. When I moved Unifi from Ubuntu server to Raspi4, I noticed, that same ip address is most safe way to do it. 

7 hours ago, PeteAsking said:

To start from scratch and check directory perms are working as intended:

Make a backup in running docker

Stop docker

Use gui to remove docker and check "also remove image"

SSH:

rm -r unifi-controller-reborn/

rm /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user/my-unifi-controller-reborn.xml

Everything is now clear, install as normal and use backup file. Follow instructions on page 1 (updated them).

check directory perms using ls -l

should be : drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users

P

@wgstarks

Worked properly. 👍

• Like 1
12 hours ago, PeteAsking said:

Its not being discontinued like the linuxserver.io one

Oh really? That's interesting, is that coming from Ubiquiti that's discontinuing the controller for linux or is it linuxserver discontinuing theirs? 

I hadn't heard of this so now I'm extra curious, as I know quite a few users who are self-hosting their controllers, but myself am not.

38 minutes ago, CorneliousJD said:

Oh really? That's interesting, is that coming from Ubiquiti that's discontinuing the controller for linux or is it linuxserver discontinuing theirs? 

I hadn't heard of this so now I'm extra curious, as I know quite a few users who are self-hosting their controllers, but myself am not.

Quote from the LSIO docker page 

From 2024-01-01 this image will be deprecated and it will no longer be updated. Please migrate to our Unifi Network Application image instead

If you search you’ll probably find a few discussions about the change but the basic reason LSIO is giving is that maintaining the Unifi Controller docker has been too much trouble. The complaint that I’m seeing most often regarding the new Unifi Network Application docker is that you also need to run a separate MongoDB docker. It’s not an all-in-one image. I did a little how-to post in the Controller support thread for switching to UNA. It’s really not very complicated to setup but it does add an extra point of failure.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Quote from the LSIO docker page 

If you search you’ll probably find a few discussions about the change but the basic reason LSIO is giving is that maintaining the Unifi Controller docker has been too much trouble. The complaint that I’m seeing most often regarding the new Unifi Network Application docker is that you also need to run a separate MongoDB docker. It’s not an all-in-one image. I did a little how-to post in the Controller support thread for switching to UNA. It’s really not very complicated to setup but it does add an extra point of failure.

Ah thank you, I was worried for a moment this was some change coming down from Ubiquiti, glad to see this project is being taken up to have an all-in-one container then. Keeps it simple for most. Thanks :)

• Like 1